PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Polishing Pads

highflight59
05-05-2016, 01:53 AM
So I quite interested in possibly purchasing a spare set of pads for my DA. My question is has anyone purchased pads via ebay coming from Hong Kong or China and were they any good or just junk. I know you usually get what you pay for but who knows sometimes.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-05-2016, 02:57 AM
Why in thee world would you purchase generic pads from China through ebay when you can purchase high quality name brand pads from AutoGeek???

What machine and backing plate do you currently have and what are you working on?

highflight59
05-05-2016, 04:05 AM
I have a Porter Cable 7424 with a 6 inch backer. My wife purchased me some pads from

highflight59
05-05-2016, 04:06 AM
From the local harbour freight and they fell apart. I primarily do my own personal vehicles and a few friends and that is about it.

highflight59
05-05-2016, 04:09 AM
I don't run a business though I may consider it IN the future. I was just curious about the quality of aftermarket.

dlc95
05-05-2016, 04:30 AM
While the perception is that companies here just import and re-label those pads - they're absolutely not doing that. The foam formulas are way off. The durability is fine, but you really don't know what you're going to get. I can't imagine an exchance, or return going well at all.

You are better off with the reputation of a Buff and Shine, Lake Country, Meguiar's.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-05-2016, 05:07 AM
From the local harbour freight and they fell apart. I primarily do my own personal vehicles and a few friends and that is about it.

And what do you think will happen to pads made in China?

Buy quality made pads or don't bother.

vobro
05-05-2016, 06:37 AM
Buy quality pads, there's plenty of other things you can go cheap on if you must. What would happen if your cheap pad explodes or completely delaminates while your polishing? I'll tell you, the backing plate may touch the paint and then what? I believe the HF pads are made overseas, how'd that work out for ya?

Desertnate
05-05-2016, 07:28 AM
I'll add my voice to the chorus. Don't do it.

In the long run you'll actually save money by buying good pads. When I first bought my HF DA, I used their pads. They were easily available and somewhat cheap. However, I found the polishing pads would disintegrate after one use and the waxing pads would only last a car or two as well. Having to buy a couple new pads for EVERY CAR began to add up.

Once I bought some good Lake Country Flat Pads here, I've never had to replace a pad. I've increased my inventory so I can swap pads out more often, but I'm still using the original pads I bought 3~4 years ago. From a cost perspective, those LC pads have more than paid for themselves by now compared to cheaper pads which are essentially disposable.

highflight59
05-05-2016, 10:17 AM
I appreciate all the input. Your replies answered my question and I am going to invest in some Lake Country pads.

Jaretr1
05-05-2016, 10:42 AM
I appreciate all the input. Your replies answered my question and I am going to invest in some Lake Country pads.

Good idea! Look at these Lake Country ThinPro Foam Pad System New for 2016! (http://www.autogeek.net/lake-country-thin-pro-foam-pads.html)

You might want to go for a 5" backing plate and go with 5.5" pads. They work the best on the PC.

KBsToy
05-05-2016, 12:18 PM
Sent PM....