PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do dent repair?

Alansr
05-04-2016, 09:47 PM
I ordered some tools and I'm going to start getting some practice.

Does anyone have any experience/advice?

MikeC
05-04-2016, 11:03 PM
Don't buy a complete set from one company. You only need a few tools to get started.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-05-2016, 12:32 AM
I am going to get started with it as well. I have a glue pulling kit on hand and need to get going with it.

What tools/type did you order?

GSKR
05-05-2016, 05:56 AM
I went back and forth about doing dents 3 years ago.Its a very good skill to have and can be really rewarding.I wish ag hosted some classes and tools I would be all over this.Good dent guys that produce can easily make 150000 a year no promblem.

Alansr
05-05-2016, 07:34 AM
I ordered a little kit from Amazon for $90. I'll give it a shot...I have a few friends that will let me practice on their trucks.
I even have a customer this weekend.

stevebrm
05-05-2016, 02:11 PM
I tried paintless dent repair on my relatives cars but the ripples I created after I got the dent out drove me crazy. I can see someone with a lot of skills and patience making over 100k. What companies are you guys looking at for tools?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Precision MAD
05-06-2016, 12:41 PM
It's a skilled trade for sure. I studied and learned from a co-worker that use to work for a nationwide company and learned a ton online before I started. I also had a chance to play around with tools too. Really knew what I was getting into before I went for training a year ago.

Now I run my detailing business during the day and push a couple dents at night on my practice panels. I've pushed a couple dents on customers cars but it was stuff I knew I could do with my eyes closed. Builds confidence and I'll be offering PDR later this year. I'm sure I could do it now but the season is picking up and I don't want things getting out of hand on me.

Like with a lot of other things, you get what you pay for. I would only trust tools from companies that are made in the USA, Dent Gear, A-1 tools, Ultra tools, DentCraft... Dent Gear have been my favored tool at the moment, personal taste, but I have a few others. Cheap stuff from evilbay or ramazon will only be your downfall. You can't have a rod bending on you while you're trying to push a dent out. They can break and rust too. I can't remember the diameter of the tool, maybe 5/16", but it was from China and I was able to bend it. :cool:

Dan

Alansr
05-06-2016, 09:09 PM
Ok first shot on my civic. A pretty good size dent on my roof. My wife took some pix and I shot some.

I'll be ordering some books tonight to learn a little more but I am really happy with my first night doing this