PDA

View Full Version : Take a look at dirty windows and oxidized clear coat

Father87
05-04-2016, 06:45 PM
Well I washed and coated windows today with Meguiars window cleaner, microfiber, and rainx on a paper towel since the crazy South Florida rains have started. Opti-clean on inside of glass. I hope you can see in the pic, there's almost a permanent residue of what looks to be water drippings on the glass. It's only visible when the glass was semi-wet, and would go clear once it flashed off and dried. Is it something that needs to be polished or cleaned better? I don't take good care of my car :/, usually doing it for others.

Window (http://m.imgur.com/fGu4Zrh)

Also, there's the oxidized clear coat on the roof. Do you guys think it needs a bit of wet sanding first or straight to an aggressive compound and pad?

clear coat roof (http://m.imgur.com/Yr002WH)

clear coat roof 2 (http://m.imgur.com/nWlQYKc)

Thanks for looking.

TTQ B4U
05-04-2016, 06:49 PM
I think it's probably too late on that roof. Looks to me like clear coat failure is well underway. I hope you can save it but just setting the stage that it's not likely. Looks like years of harsh UV rays from the sun have taken their toll.

Father87
05-04-2016, 06:55 PM
I agree. The sun is brutal, you can see it on clear coats and headlights in every single parking lot guaranteed. What would be your approach to it though? Wet sand some of it?

TTQ B4U
05-04-2016, 07:28 PM
I agree. The sun is brutal, you can see it on clear coats and headlights in every single parking lot guaranteed. What would be your approach to it though? Wet sand some of it?

Wet sanding it isn't likely going to do any good an will likely just complete the removal process thus exposing the paint under it. It will appear flat/satin in sheen and overall not that great. The oxidation is actually occurring not just on top but under the clear coat. Headlights can be sanded and restored pretty easily but paint, not so much.

Time to repaint or sand/finish and either professionally plastidip it or wrap it.

Father87
05-04-2016, 07:32 PM
I'm not trying to get perfection, just best advice. I won't be repainting the car or anything. If wet sanding won't help I'll just follow the same polish that I use elsewhere on the vehicle when I get to it. Whatever it does on the sun spots I'll live with...

GSKR
05-04-2016, 08:04 PM
On the glass use a compound by hand with a terry towel or one of those circular applicators,it's either dried soap or sprinkler water.for the roof #7 meguairs glaze,rub it in really good with a terry towel.Remove and wax it with any collinite product or liquid sovereign in a bottle not paste.paste is kind of pricey .This will not fix your clearcoat promblem but will make the roof look better and protected.

Father87
05-05-2016, 05:27 AM
On the glass use a compound by hand with a terry towel or one of those circular applicators,it's either dried soap or sprinkler water.

I have ceriglass and glass pads, or is that overkill for what you see? Regular compound won't create new scratches will it? I have Optimum Compound available.

GSKR
05-05-2016, 05:49 AM
No it's very hard to put scratches in glass by hand.The ceriglass would do the job.

Father87
05-05-2016, 07:38 AM
ceriglass still by hand then? or by machine?

Chase.Detailing
05-05-2016, 08:18 AM
By hand first. If that doesn't work, slowly work your speed up by machine.

Father87
05-05-2016, 08:27 AM
Ok, thanks guys.