PDA

View Full Version : Paint repair

StealthXJ
05-03-2016, 10:24 PM
So, I've had these bad paint areas ever since I bought my Jeep. I know this should probably be asked in an auto body forum, but I think we have some great people here! I would really like to work on these areas and make them look a whole lot better. I have experience doing some body work, mainly a ton of sanding and some mud (bondo) work, and I detail cars. I still would like some advice on the best way to deal with these areas.

The first picture, which is on the driver side door, is the spot that I'd most like to fix. To properly fix it, what is the beat process? Clean, sand, fill in, level, prime, sand, paint, sand, polish, clear coat, sand, polish? Does that sound about right?

Don M
05-04-2016, 12:41 AM
Unfortunately you're correct. Those defects are out of the typical detailer's arena. In these area, the paint has actually been removed from the car and needs a respray to repair.

poyo150
05-04-2016, 03:52 AM
You can work on a car if their is still paint. That has no paint and I'm sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

StealthXJ
05-04-2016, 09:46 PM
Oh, I knew that compounding and polishing would not work, I just wanted to get advice on the proper steps and products to use. Thank you.

shagnat
05-14-2016, 05:32 PM
Not good news..... looks like a new paint job..... I'm not body man but I think it's a lost cause.

PandaSauce
05-14-2016, 05:42 PM
Rhino line all of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StealthXJ
05-21-2016, 04:41 PM
I just got all of my compounding and polishing products in, so I am going to work on some of these areas and then compound and polish.

Question. I have seen others on here simply fill in the scratch with paint, sand it, then compound and polish. When should filler and/or primer be used? Is there a reason that clear coat is never sprayed overtop?