PDA

View Full Version : Buffing a Flex with a Flex

Keith Bradley
05-03-2016, 07:58 PM
Hi Mike,

I've learned a lot from reading/watching the info you put out. We are fortunate to have access to so much great info.

One thing that I am unsure about is using my Flex 3401 to polish the doors on my Ford Flex. There are three stamped/recessed channels in the front and rear doors. So far I've just went over them with the 3401 and tried to spend less time in that area than the flat areas on the vehicle. However, I'm concerned about damage to the edges down the road if I continue this practice every time I polish it. Is there something I should be doing different on these panels?

Also, do you have any tips in regards to polishing the door handle recesses? I'm pretty happy with the look of the rest of the car, but the area behind the door handles is terribly scratched and difficult to get to. Is there an abrasive product or technique that will make this task easier? I recently ordered the Sonax swirl removing combo from AG and planned on using these by hand in these areas.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: A pic may help:
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt328/keithbradley/Ford%20Flex%2022%20VFS2_zpsmk0eqbjs.jpg (http://s624.photobucket.com/user/keithbradley/media/Ford%20Flex%2022%20VFS2_zpsmk0eqbjs.jpg.html)

TTQ B4U
05-03-2016, 08:16 PM
I'm concerned about damage to the edges down the road if I continue this practice every time I polish it. Is there something I should be doing different on these panels? Also, do you have any tips in regards to polishing the door handle recesses?

Nice looking car.

I don't think you have to worry much about the recessed areas. Unless you plan on abusing the paint daily and then polishing the heck out of it twice a year, I don't think you'll need to worry. ]

Door handle wise, polish them by hand. You can use a glaze (which I stand by) and it combined with your manual efforts will help correct the door handle areas. You might even look to do those a little at a time over the coming weeks as you wash the vehicle. Nothing says you have to kill yourself completing it all in one day.

11Silverado
05-03-2016, 08:21 PM
Wolfgang German Polish N’ Wax Applicator has two sides of premium foam in one awesome applicator! (http://www.autogeek.net/german-applicator-pad.html)

You can use these for the areas behind the door handle. Plus you can use them for other areas! I have them and they work well.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
05-04-2016, 06:41 AM
Hi Keith, welcome to AutoGeekOnline! Catchy title. First thing I thought off was polishing a FLEX polisher WITH a Flex polisher. Lol

As for machine polishing around those edges, just keep an eye out and pay attention when you run the machine near them.

Behind the door handles will require polishing by hand with either a foam or terry cloth applicator and compound. You can vary the level of cut by the applicator pad used.

Keith Bradley
05-05-2016, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I plan on using Sonax Cut Max compound and cutting a piece off of a German two-sided foam applicator so I can use the cutting foam. I'll post results when it's done. In regard to polishing the doors, I guess I will polish it the same way I did last time when needed. It is a daily driver @ about 140miles/day and kept outside, so it's not unreasonable to assume that I will be polishing it again before the winter here in Michigan.

Capn Blackie
05-05-2016, 09:56 PM
I "might" have overheated some of my pads on the first or second go with a nice polisher and that lead to the backing coming off and it no longer being Velcro-able. I sat them aside and mourned their loss.

Some time later while working on Mom's white Highlander I really needed to get behind the door handles. It looked like a Honey Badger had been back there and it had been unhappy. How mom, how?

I took a pair of scissors to some of the old Velcro less pads and instantly had small pads that fit perfectly in behind the handle.

DBAILEY
05-06-2016, 01:25 AM
Just use the foam finger pockets to polish the door handle recesses. Way easier on your fingers and hand at it won't be too bulky. As far as the recessed horizontal lines on the doors, don't try to polish them with compound if you're worried about wearing the edges too thin. Only hit them when you are using a medium polish or finishing polish and use a regular DA so you're not fighting the forced rotation on those lines. You may not get them 100% but at least you'll safely improved those areas.