PDA

View Full Version : to use Meguiar's Wheel Brightener, or not?

Pages : [1] 2

Matt@Revive
05-03-2016, 02:09 PM
i have been using various wheel cleaners over the last year, but i have beed avoiding acid bassed cleaner. now that i am getting busy i am looking to speed up the wheel cleaning process. i am looking to use Wheel Brightener on my newer cars with factory wheels.

are there any horror storied with this product? anything that needs to be avoided? what product should i use to neutralize the acid once the wheels are clean?

The Guz
05-03-2016, 02:27 PM
If you seal or coat your wheels, all you really need is soap and water for the most part. You could then deep clean a few times a year.

Unless you are working on vehicles on the side.

FUNX650
05-03-2016, 02:39 PM
now that i am getting busy i am looking
to speed up the wheel cleaning process.

i am looking to use Wheel Brightener

Are you talking about Meguiar's D140?
If so, then:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Txsc3JVam4

Bob

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2016, 02:56 PM
I vote for not.

Eldorado2k
05-03-2016, 04:55 PM
are there any horror storied with this product? anything that needs to be avoided? what product should i use to neutralize the acid once the wheels are clean?

I've never experienced a horror story..
You should avoid the same exact kind of wheels you would when using Megs D143 Acid Free Wheel & Tire Cleaner [bare aluminum wheels] as they'll both mess up the same kind of wheels.
Both are meant to be used on factory clearcoated wheels. D140 is stronger, so you might be able to get away with spray on spray off [especially if you use a power washer] Make sure the wheels are cool before using.
Invest in some disposable masks if you're going to be cleaning wheels & tires in high volume.
As long as you're responsible to those few details, there's no reason to not use D140 Wheel Brightener. It'll speed your process up when you run into dirty wheels.👍🏽

FUNX650
05-03-2016, 05:35 PM
@OP:

The dangers (to humans), that's associated
with Ammonium Biflouride...is not worth the
risk of ever using D140!!

Sure...
You may wish to speed-up the
wheel-cleaning process(es);
but, there's an old saying with
which I'll take poetic liberty:

"Sometimes...
a SPEED(y) product could actually KILL"

Bob

uhohitsstevo
05-03-2016, 06:52 PM
What other wheel cleaners have that?

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2016, 07:24 PM

There are a number; there even used to be OTC ones. One time many years ago I was in Target looking at some wheel cleaners, and they had a carpet runner in front of the shelf of auto supplies, which they didn't have anywhere else, and I'm standing on it, and there's like a 2-year old kid toddling along behind me running ahead of her parents, and I'm reading the contents on the bottle of wheel cleaner and it says "ammonium bifluoride"...and I put this all together in my head. I'm standing on a runner that's there in case customers drop a bottle of tire shine...or wheel cleaner, so who knows what I'm standing in, could be ammonium bifluoride wheel cleaner, and here's a little kid running around behind me. It was a bad scene, and I really wondered why Target was selling a wheel cleaner like that, I mean at least at Autozone there usually aren't 2 yo's running up and down the aisles.

Anyway.

FUNX650
05-03-2016, 07:34 PM
Quite a few; but not as many
as there used to be.

Here's a similar one, though:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=104744&size=1

Bob

Eldorado2k
05-03-2016, 07:54 PM
Quite a few; but not as many
as there used to be.

Here's a similar one, though:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=104744&size=1

Bob

Which 1 is that? Eagle 1 Spoke & Wire Cleaner? I used to love that stuff way back when I bought my 1st car:) It's similar to Meguiars Hot Wheels Chrome & Wire Cleaner, which is in turn very similar to Wheel Brightener.

Btw, how "safe" is D143 Non Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner in comparison? Because they Both register a "3" level health hazard on the label.. D143 also gets level 1 flammable whereas Wheel Brightener is not flammable level 0.

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Btw, how "safe" is D143 Non Acid Wheel & Tire Cleaner in comparison? Because they Both register a "3" level health hazard on the label.. D143 also gets level 1 flammable whereas Wheel Brightener is not flammable level 0.

HF and ABF carry specific hazards that are not comparable to other acidic or caustic wheel cleaners. Caveat emptor.

FUNX650
05-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Which 1 is that? Eagle 1 Spoke & Wire Cleaner?

No.

I used to love that stuff way back when I bought my 1st car:)

It wasn't available when I bought my 1st car.

It's similar to Meguiars Hot Wheels Chrome & Wire Cleaner,
which is in turn very similar to Wheel Brightener.

I also do not use Eagle 1 Spoke & Wire Cleaner:
it contains Hydrofouoric Acid; or, Meguiar's
Hot Wheels C&W Cleaner: It, too, contains
Ammonium Biflouride.

Bob

Eldorado2k
05-03-2016, 10:10 PM
No.

It wasn't available when I bought my 1st car.

I also do not use Eagle 1 Spoke & Wire Cleaner:
it contains Hydrofouoric Acid; or, Meguiar's
Hot Wheels C&W Cleaner: It, too, contains
Ammonium Biflouride.

Bob

I knew it.😏 It works just like Wheel Brightener. They Both do.. Btw I never ruined any wheels in all my time during my younger years using that stuff.

And as far as Wheel Brightener, along with the rest of Meguiars professional line products, it states on every label "for professional use only" Detailers who buy and those products grow familiar with how to use them with responsibility and care. Care with their surroundings, the vehicles they're using them on, and their own health. Meguiars wouldn't sell D140 Wheel Brightener if it was likely to kill you or even harm you, as long as you follow the directions and take normal safety precautions, it's a great product. Use as directed.

FUNX650
05-03-2016, 10:48 PM
When it comes to HF/ABF...
It takes a lot more than the "normal" safety
precautions in order to protect ones health!

How many people actually know what
that protocol is whenever they use
HF/ABF at the job site?

Bob

Eldorado2k
05-03-2016, 11:21 PM
When it comes to HF/ABF...
It takes a lot more than the "normal" safety
precautions in order to protect ones health!

How many people actually know what
that protocol is whenever they use
HF/ABF at the job site?

Bob

The bottle of Wheel Brightener says [safety glasses, gloves, apron]

How many average Joes get around to buying a gallon of Wheel Brightener? It's not exactly the type of stuff you just stumble upon and decide to bring home by accident.. You should have more than a clue about taking the proper precautions by that time.. It's a far leap between the consumer label stuff. But the fact that the consumer bottled stuff [Megs Hot Wheels Chrome Wheel Cleaner] is basically a mix of the same thing goes to show people use it everyday without a problem.

It wouldn't be on the shelves if people were suffering health problems by using as directed.