PDA

View Full Version : Non-Silicone Dressing over Tire Coating?

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2016, 09:24 AM
I haven't jumped on the tire coating bandwagon mostly because I have too much dressing to use up, although I have used some old Tropicare coating on a set of winter tires and that worked out pretty well (Tropicare has been out of business for I dunno, 6-8 years).

For some reason I was pondering tire coatings over the weekend and how some people use coatings on their daily driver, but use dressings on their garage queens because they feel the coatings don't give them enough gloss or aren't deep or rich enough looking. I know applying a silicone-based tire dressing (which most are) over a coating would be a no-no because it would interfere with re-applying the coating, and I thought I read somewhere that a silicone-based dressing would degrade Tuf-Shine, although I can't find that now.

But an idea jumped into my head, there are a couple of non-silicone tire dressings (Duragloss Non Silicone Tire Dressing (NSD) #321 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-non-silicone-tire-dressing.html) , Meguiars Silicone-Free Dressing shines and protects rubber, plastic and vinyl with an instant, slick shine. (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiar-s-silicone-free-dressing.html) ); I wondered if anyone ever thought about topping a coating with one of them to get a little more pop (if you like that kind of thing)? Or maybe I just think too much.

Eldorado2k
05-03-2016, 10:00 AM
I've never considered doing that.. I think it would defeat the purpose of having a coating.
What I do to bring back the look is clean the rims & tires with Megs D143 [spray and hose off] I like that it completely cleans all the dirt off the tires without compromising the tire coating.

Bill1234
05-03-2016, 10:22 AM
I clean my tires with either simple green or some other form of cleaner and then make sure they are dry. I then apply opti bond gel with a paint brush to make it even. This is a long lasting gel at least Imo. Not alot is needed and if done correctly, it should last you

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2016, 10:25 AM
I've never considered doing that.. I think it would defeat the purpose of having a coating.
What I do to bring back the look is clean the rims & tires with Megs D143 [spray and hose off] I like that it completely cleans all the dirt off the tires without compromising the tire coating.

Seems most coating users top theirs up about once a month. My gf likes shiny and I'm afraid a coating wouldn't make the grade with her, so I was just mulling over solutions to get some of the value of a coating without losing the look of a dressing.

I clean my tires with either simple green or some other form of cleaner and then make sure they are dry. I then apply opti bond gel with a paint brush to make it even. This is a long lasting gel at least Imo. Not alot is needed and if done correctly, it should last you

Thanks, Bill!

The Guz
05-03-2016, 02:46 PM
Would the tire coating allow the tire gel to bond to it as the tire gel is not bonding to the tire? Maybe. But you could do that. In my opinion it's a waste of product. Unless you just want to use it up. DP/McKee's 37 Tire Coating looks good without needing to be topped.

The only caveat with a tire coating is that the surface needs to be very clean from any previous dressing for the coating to bond to the tire. I had issues with DP Tire Coating not bonding to my tires as they had Blackfire Tire Gel still on them. The Blackfire tire gel had penetrated through and needed to make it's way to the outer area. I used no tire gels for about a month and just cleaned the tires weekly until I coated them with DP.

Just some lessons learned from Speaking with Nick.

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2016, 02:51 PM
Would the tire coating allow the tire gel to bond to it as the tire gel is not bonding to the tire? Maybe.

Thanks for bringing that up, I actually meant to put that in my OP; probably not, which probably makes this a stupid idea.

Riff
05-03-2016, 03:42 PM
Thanks for bringing that up, I actually meant to put that in my OP; probably not, which probably makes this a stupid idea.

Haha. Watching this post because Tuf Shine is not quite shiny enough for me but dries to the touch with no sling which I love.

I guess it would be a waste to put both dressings on though. If there's a non-silicone dressing that doesn't sling, why use the coating?

Still, an interesting post. 👍🏽

FrankS
05-03-2016, 04:29 PM
With a tire coating like Tuf Shine or McKee's, you can always add more coats to increase the gloss to your liking. More coats = more glossy, has been my experience.

I did apply a tire coating to some tires a while back, I believe it was DP Tire Coating (now called McKee's). The coating came out streaky. Sometimes coatings act differently to certain tires.

Anyway I applied Carpro Perl over the coating once it dried and it looked fine.

MattPersman
05-03-2016, 05:06 PM
I put mothers FX over the coating before and it lasted basically the same as with no coating just shined it up more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2016, 05:38 PM
Anyway I applied Carpro Perl over the coating once it dried and it looked fine.

I put mothers FX over the coating before and it lasted basically the same as with no coating just shined it up more

Aha, maybe not so stupid.

ge0rge
05-03-2016, 06:22 PM
Just my opinion , seems kind of silly to top dress a tire coating. Some coatings can give the sheen without gloss or more gloss with more coats. I use coatings for the sake of not having to always apply a dressing. And it's much cleaner...

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2016, 06:32 PM
Just my opinion , seems kind of silly to top dress a tire coating. Some coatings can give the sheen without gloss or more gloss with more coats. I use coatings for the sake of not having to always apply a dressing. And it's much cleaner...

Yeah, but what's going to happen if they discontinue your glossy tire dressing? Oh wait, they did.

As I stated in an earlier post, I'm afraid that the coatings won't meet the approval of one of my posse in terms of (between application) gloss, so I was mulling an have-my-cake-and-eat-it-too solution. I'll get back to you in 2020.

ge0rge
05-03-2016, 07:37 PM
Yeah, but what's going to happen if they discontinue your glossy tire dressing? Oh wait, they did.

As I stated in an earlier post, I'm afraid that the coatings won't meet the approval of one of my posse in terms of (between application) gloss, so I was mulling an have-my-cake-and-eat-it-too solution. I'll get back to you in 2020.

They did discontinue it, I think...lol, and with 13 kits @1/4 bottle per year I won't have to worry anytime soon.

ge0rge
05-03-2016, 07:40 PM

They did discontinue it, I think...lol, and with 13 kits @1/4 bottle per year I won't have to worry anytime soon. So it went from your girlfriends and now you point to her as one of your posse. Sounds like you may end up with 4 different coated tires, depending on the size of your posse, to meet the needs, lol brave man...