PDA

View Full Version : Eraser wipedown marring

postaddict
05-03-2016, 04:11 AM
My issue is the fine scratches I cause on my Renault Megane when wiping off polish oils using Eraser and IPA. I have tried different dilution levels but as soon as the towel touches the paint the problem occurs. I have tried different thickness towels and generally the plusher towels work better but doesn't solve my issue. Any suggestions for technique or products?

GSKR
05-03-2016, 06:13 AM
Are you getting the finish corrected properly.Eraser is a very good product and causes no marring,check your towels as well and make sure the paint is cool.

SYMAWD
05-03-2016, 06:58 AM
Maybe the polishing oils are hiding the fine scratches and Eraser is just revealing them again?

postaddict
05-03-2016, 07:34 AM
Are you getting the finish corrected properly.Eraser is a very good product and causes no marring,check your towels as well and make sure the paint is cool.

This thought also came to mind about the paint temp. I generally wipe down to inspect straight after polishing so maybe i should do the wipe down at the very end.

postaddict
05-03-2016, 07:36 AM
Maybe the polishing oils are hiding the fine scratches and Eraser is just revealing them again?

Yep I did consider this but I'm certain it occurs with the wipe.

zmcgovern45
05-03-2016, 07:37 AM
This can happen on exceptionally soft paint.... test your assumption by only wiping eraser in one direction (ie up and down or side to side) then verify the marring you are seeing is only matching the direction you were wiping. This will help to determine if the solvent wipe down is your issue or if you are revealing marring that had been hidden by polishing residue.

Are you planning to coat the vehicle? If so, consider using CarPro Essence and omit the Eraser Wipe Down. If you insist on doing the Eraser wipe down, thoroughly soak a very plush towel with eraser so it is very damp, and then use a fan or compressed air to help dry the surface as you are wiping instead of relying solely on wiping over and over with a towel.

If you are not coating, I would not worry about Eraser/IPA wipe down.

postaddict
05-04-2016, 01:19 AM
This can happen on exceptionally soft paint.... test your assumption by only wiping eraser in one direction (ie up and down or side to side) then verify the marring you are seeing is only matching the direction you were wiping. This will help to determine if the solvent wipe down is your issue or if you are revealing marring that had been hidden by polishing residue.

Are you planning to coat the vehicle? If so, consider using CarPro Essence and omit the Eraser Wipe Down. If you insist on doing the Eraser wipe down, thoroughly soak a very plush towel with eraser so it is very damp, and then use a fan or compressed air to help dry the surface as you are wiping instead of relying solely on wiping over and over with a towel.

If you are not coating, I would not worry about Eraser/IPA wipe down.

Thank you.. some really helpful tips.