PDA

View Full Version : Tire shine/coating

Pages : [1] 2

lee250
05-03-2016, 01:22 AM
I'm a mechanic and I hate when cars come in with cheap tire shine that gets all over everything and is sticky. Is there something that I can put on my tires that is not sticky or that comes off when touching the tire? Will putting something on the tire help removal of mud and dirt? I live out of town and just going up and down my driveway when it rains leaves mud all over the tires. Not looking for something that is crazy shiny just something to spruce it up.

Don M
05-03-2016, 02:08 AM
Meguiars High Gloss Tire Coating (http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g13815-hot-shine-high-gloss-tire-coating/#ADWletWfHgOOwCc2.97)

After a good scrubbing with Meg's All Wheel and Tire Cleaner, I used this stuff on the tires, it took a lot of it, but it left a low-gloss, DRY shine on my tires - more of a natural look. My tires themselves were very dried out to begin with and it literally absorbed the tire coating as it was sprayed on. It took several coat before it stopped being absorbed, then a LIGHT wipe with a clean cloth and the tires were perfect IMHO.

P.S. I haven't been able to wash my car in about 2 weeks due to rain and it seems like the rain is washing the tires clean, they don't seem to be "holding onto" the mud & dirt.

Desertnate
05-03-2016, 08:04 AM
I've not had great luck with the Hot Shine spray. It turned all of my tires brown much faster than they would on their own and didn't last very long.

Duragloss #253 has worked really well for me. It has a nice look, dries quickly, and has great durability. It takes very little product and goes a long way.

Duragloss Tire & Rubber Mat Dressing (TMD) #253 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-tire---rubber-mat-dressing.html)

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2016, 08:08 AM
Ha ha, where are the coating guys? You want one of these:

McKee's 37 Tire Coating Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/dp-tire-coating-kit.html)

TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit, tuf shine tire dressing, permanent tire shine, permanent tire sealant (http://www.autogeek.net/tuf-shine-tire-appearance-kit.html)

Alternatively you could use a dressing that is more dry to the touch than typical dressings; I wouldn't put the DG 253 in that category. The only one I know of that is really dry and non-greasy is the following (although there may be others):

Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel, Tire gel protectant, OPT Tire Dressing Gel, protect tires, optibond tire gel (http://www.autogeek.net/opti-bond-gel.html)

ronkh57
05-03-2016, 08:11 AM
I've had great luck with DP coating. (short term, hasn't been on long enough to make durability judgement)

DP = McKees 37 (new name)

Mantilgh
05-03-2016, 08:22 AM
Yep, the real tire coatings are what you want like have been mentioned. The only thing that will rub off them is built up brake dust.

I just started using the Hot Rims product, and have been testing it against Stoners More Shine. Neither last very long, maybe two weeks.

They both go on and look similar but the hot rims looks better as it fades, where the the Stoners just looks bad(brown) when it goes. I tried hot rims on the tires that had Stoners on them with very little cleaning and they look just as bad once gone. I need to give them a good cleaning and try again. I guess it could be my tires that the Stoners doesn't work well with.

Once I'm done playing around testing what I want to use for customers, they are getting coated. I don't like having to reapply every two weeks, or less if it rains.

I like to use M40 like Bob mentions below. It gives a nice look, but I have no clue on how long it last.

FUNX650
05-03-2016, 08:23 AM
I use these products:

• Meguiars #40<br>Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner protects rubber, plastic & vinyl interior surfaces. Meguiars # 40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner and (http://www.autogeek.net/meg40vinrubc.html)

• Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel, Tire gel protectant, OPT Tire Dressing Gel, protect tires, optibond tire gel (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-opti-bond-tire-gel-32oz.html)

Bob

Desertnate
05-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Ha ha, where are the coating guys?

The only coating I've used isn't sold here, so I didn't even mention it.

I don't know if this is true of all tire coatings, but the one I've used seems to be very sensitive to tire compounds. It works great on Pirelli's, but not so much on Continental's or Bridgestone's. However, the Duragloss dressing I mentioned above has performed consistently on every tire it's been applied.

Dan K
05-03-2016, 09:02 AM
The only coating I've used isn't sold here, so I didn't even mention it.

I don't know if this is true of all tire coatings, but the one I've used seems to be very sensitive to tire compounds. It works great on Pirelli's, but not so much on Continental's or Bridgestone's. However, the Duragloss dressing I mentioned above has performed consistently on every tire it's been applied.

I found the same results with the Tuf Shine coating. Great results and durability on Pirelli, not as good on Continental.

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2016, 09:03 AM
the Duragloss dressing I mentioned above has performed consistently on every tire it's been applied.

IME/IMO DG 253 is a greasy dressing which is not compatible with what the OP is looking for.

Desertnate
05-03-2016, 09:38 AM
IME/IMO DG 253 is a greasy dressing which is not compatible with what the OP is looking for.

Greasy? I've never experienced that before. I apply it using a foam applicator and found it to provide a nice dark matte finish that is dry to the touch and seems to last about a month. Nothing greasy or shiny at all. Maybe I apply it thinner than most?

Setec Astronomy
05-03-2016, 09:45 AM
Greasy? I've never experienced that before. I apply it using a foam applicator and found it to provide a nice dark matte finish that is dry to the touch and seems to last about a month. Nothing greasy or shiny at all. Maybe I apply it thinner than most?

I don't know, it's too shiny a dressing for me, the people that I use it for like shiny so maybe I go heavy, but my point is that every tire shine I have used feels greasy when you get it on your hand, EXCEPT Opti-Bond, the stuff is just crazy.

Anyway, the OP is talking about when you're taking wheels off and getting stuff on your hands, and even the Optimum Tire Shine (not Opti-Bond) I'm using right now on my tires will get you some greasy residue when rotating tires, etc. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing.

lee250
05-03-2016, 10:55 AM
I currently have toyo tires. I live in a rainforest climate so I need something that won't wash off.

Dan K
05-03-2016, 12:03 PM
I currently have toyo tires. I live in a rainforest climate so I need something that won't wash off.

In that case I would definitely try a coating. Make sure the tires are thoroughly cleaned before applying the coating, and apply at least 2 coats.

ScottB
05-03-2016, 01:55 PM
Most water based dressings have a little less of the silicone shine, but are likely better for tires and the environment. The challenge is that some come off easily with any water. Several nice dressings are Carpro Perl, McKee's Tire Dressing, and Optibond. A coating is indeed another choice.