PDA

View Full Version : Need guidance with swirls on a Porsche Cayman

Scooby921
05-02-2016, 02:19 PM
I took delivery of a '16 Cayman last December. It was almost immediately garaged until this spring. While it was in storage I spent my time lurking here and figuring out what to purchase and how to care for my new car. Learned a lot by reading, but I'm still learning by doing and don't fully trust myself to apply that which I've learned by reading.

I washed it for the first time three weeks ago and applied KSG to protect it. I get the feeling that my garage lights and available handheld light sources are insufficient for identifying imperfections in the paint. I noticed some swirls last week as I was admiring the car on a sunny day. I don't recall them being there previously. In any case I want to buff / polish out the imperfections, but I'm not sure how aggressive I need to get. Lack of experience means I'm best served to start with the least aggressive option and work my way up, but I have no reference point when it comes to buffing away a sealer. It seems like a potential waste of time and product to start with finishing glaze on a finishing pad to see what it does.

Is this something which can or should be corrected in a single step process using a more aggressive compound on a less aggressive pad, or a less aggressive compound on a more aggressive pad? Is it better to use multiple steps for correction? What would you do? I'm in need of experienced guidance.

I have a DA buffer and the following materials:
Lake Country CCS yellow, orange, and green pads
Chemical Guys Hex-logic green, white, and red pads
Wolfgang Uber Compound
Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze
Klasse AIO
Klasse SG

WRAPT C5Z06
05-02-2016, 02:41 PM
I took delivery of a '16 Cayman last December. It was almost immediately garaged until this spring. While it was in storage I spent my time lurking here and figuring out what to purchase and how to care for my new car. Learned a lot by reading, but I'm still learning by doing and don't fully trust myself to apply that which I've learned by reading.

I washed it for the first time three weeks ago and applied KSG to protect it. I get the feeling that my garage lights and available handheld light sources are insufficient for identifying imperfections in the paint. I noticed some swirls last week as I was admiring the car on a sunny day. I don't recall them being there previously. In any case I want to buff / polish out the imperfections, but I'm not sure how aggressive I need to get. Lack of experience means I'm best served to start with the least aggressive option and work my way up, but I have no reference point when it comes to buffing away a sealer. It seems like a potential waste of time and product to start with finishing glaze on a finishing pad to see what it does.

Is this something which can or should be corrected in a single step process using a more aggressive compound on a less aggressive pad, or a less aggressive compound on a more aggressive pad? Is it better to use multiple steps for correction? What would you do? I'm in need of experienced guidance.

I have a DA buffer and the following materials:
Lake Country CCS yellow, orange, and green pads
Chemical Guys Hex-logic green, white, and red pads
Wolfgang Uber Compound
Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze
Klasse AIO
Klasse SG
Where do you live?

addysdaddy
05-02-2016, 02:42 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/23722-car-detailing-articles-mike-phillips.html

Audios S6
05-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Start with finishing glaze and LC green or CG white. Move up to swirl remover with same pads. Move up to swirl remover on LC orange or CG green. Move up to uber compound on LC orange or CG green. Move up to Uber compound on LC yellow