PDA

View Full Version : First time!

pilotpip
05-01-2016, 08:46 PM
This website has cost me way too much money! What started as a quest for a better/easier to use wax for my new (to me) truck that wouldn't rip my arm off like turtle wax has become something of an addiction/stress relief therapy. I started researching polishers/pads/products way back in November and the combos are mind boggling. Both cars are daily drivers, one doesn't fit in the garage because it's too long. I have a 1 year old and a fairly busy life so I decided to go with an AIO. Lucky for me, a mystery box sale came up, and AG sent me a bottle of McKee's 37 360 so I didn't have to pick. I bought a PC with a 5" backing plate and 6 pads, and an additional 6 pack of CCS pads so I had 5 orange, 5 white, 2 black and 2 red pads to start. I drive an F-150 crew cab, my wife drives a rouge so between the two of us there is a ton of body panels to work on. I used 3 white on the hood, roof and front fenders, and 3 orange on the doors, rear quarters, and hatch respectively.

I washed with Megs Gold Class, decon'd with megs clay and then "Lemon" scent Iron-X. After rinsing, and drying one more time I went to work:

My wife works at a hospital, so the car gets dinged all the time. The third pic shows what I was dealing with, there were several scuffs like the one behind the door handle, and several shallow scratches. This made me elect to use the orange pads on the doors. After:

Overall, I'm very happy with the results for a first time. 360 is very easy to work with, especially if you're new to it like me. With an orange pad, it did a nice job of getting rid of swirls and light scratches. As you can see from the hood picture, the white pad left some swirls uncorrected. It was overcast when I started, and could have done a better job of inspecting prior to starting. I could have also gone with an orange pad instead, but since I did the hood first I was being super conservative. I could make four or five passes on the panels that were in good shape, and seven or 8 on the ones that needed more love. Regardless, it was easy to see, didn't dust, and wiped away with no effort. My truck is much newer and in better shape overall so I have no doubt it will do a fine job. However, I'm going to pick up another bottle of 360 before I start because the rogue took about 1/2 of this 16oz bottle. I used a bit to prime each pad and then 4 nickle-sized dots per section.

Thanks to everyone for the advice thus far. It's a big reason I took the plunge with this. Like I said, I'm happy with the results for it being a first time using a DA polisher, but there's room for improvement. For those thinking about it: Do it! You'll be happy you did.

mwoolfso
05-01-2016, 08:59 PM
Nice job. I recommend you pick up some Menzerna SF3800. It's much better and versatile and for the same effort you will get rid of more swirls with the same energy.

mwemaxxowner
05-03-2016, 08:49 PM
Will you still use orange pads on the newer, less afflicted truck?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

pilotpip
05-03-2016, 09:30 PM
I'll do a couple test spots to see if it's needed.

TTQ B4U
05-03-2016, 09:31 PM
Will you still use orange pads on the newer, less afflicted truck?

May not need to. Won't hurt it. Both depend on the product as the pad will work together with the product to impact the outcome. HDSpeed with a Green Pad is spectacular as an AIO too. HDAdapt is amazing with an orange pad for moderate to heavily abused paints and finishes as nice as HDSPeed...yes with an orange pad even. Lots of good choices out there.

Very nicely done to the OP'er.

pilotpip
05-03-2016, 09:42 PM
I have a few minor scuffs and scratches from daily driving and pulling into my hunting spots (it is a truck, I use it). If I had to guess right now, I'll probably need the orange for the doors. There are swirls, as there are in most dark vehicles, but since every paint is different I'll try both to see what's needed where. The car was a very good learning experience. I'm sure the truck will turn out better.

I was really torn on which pads, and thought about green because of the comments about how they work with AIO. Based on the suggestions in another thread I started about the pads, I elected to stick with orange and white for simplicity right now. I haven't used the black or red pads at all but those would come in handy if I elect to do HD Speed and Poxy combo like I was seriously considering before I got a bottle of 360 in the mystery box. I may still do it for a side-by-side comparison with the car.

haris300
05-04-2016, 01:25 AM
Great work! Sounds like you had an awesome first experience.

mwemaxxowner
05-04-2016, 06:24 AM
Nice job. I recommend you pick up some Menzerna SF3800. It's much better and versatile and for the same effort you will get rid of more swirls with the same energy.
Is the Menzerna more aggressive/abrasive? Is that how it rid the swirls more easily?

mwoolfso
05-17-2016, 07:41 PM
It's probably more aggressive but you can control that with pad choice and technique. It's much more versatile than 360. I had XMT 360, started on it and I liked it a lot. I like SF3800 more.

pilotpip
05-17-2016, 10:46 PM
I did the F150 this past weekend. I used the orange pad throughout. It did a good job, happy with the results. I think I may try HD Speed/Poxy at the next go as I'm out of 360.

mwemaxxowner
05-18-2016, 07:05 AM
The orange is a bit more aggressive than the white, correct? A "polishing" pad, instead of "finishing"?

mwemaxxowner
06-02-2016, 06:49 AM
This website has cost me way too much money! What started as a quest for a better/easier to use wax for my new (to me) truck that wouldn't rip my arm off like turtle wax has become something of an addiction/stress relief therapy. I started researching polishers/pads/products way back in November and the combos are mind boggling. Both cars are daily drivers, one doesn't fit in the garage because it's too long. I have a 1 year old and a fairly busy life so I decided to go with an AIO. Lucky for me, a mystery box sale came up, and AG sent me a bottle of McKee's 37 360 so I didn't have to pick. I bought a PC with a 5" backing plate and 6 pads, and an additional 6 pack of CCS pads so I had 5 orange, 5 white, 2 black and 2 red pads to start. I drive an F-150 crew cab, my wife drives a rouge so between the two of us there is a ton of body panels to work on. I used 3 white on the hood, roof and front fenders, and 3 orange on the doors, rear quarters, and hatch respectively.

I washed with Megs Gold Class, decon'd with megs clay and then "Lemon" scent Iron-X. After rinsing, and drying one more time I went to work:

My wife works at a hospital, so the car gets dinged all the time. The third pic shows what I was dealing with, there were several scuffs like the one behind the door handle, and several shallow scratches. This made me elect to use the orange pads on the doors. After:

Overall, I'm very happy with the results for a first time. 360 is very easy to work with, especially if you're new to it like me. With an orange pad, it did a nice job of getting rid of swirls and light scratches. As you can see from the hood picture, the white pad left some swirls uncorrected. It was overcast when I started, and could have done a better job of inspecting prior to starting. I could have also gone with an orange pad instead, but since I did the hood first I was being super conservative. I could make four or five passes on the panels that were in good shape, and seven or 8 on the ones that needed more love. Regardless, it was easy to see, didn't dust, and wiped away with no effort. My truck is much newer and in better shape overall so I have no doubt it will do a fine job. However, I'm going to pick up another bottle of 360 before I start because the rogue took about 1/2 of this 16oz bottle. I used a bit to prime each pad and then 4 nickle-sized dots per section.

Thanks to everyone for the advice thus far. It's a big reason I took the plunge with this. Like I said, I'm happy with the results for it being a first time using a DA polisher, but there's room for improvement. For those thinking about it: Do it! You'll be happy you did.
When you used an orange pad, did you find it necessary to follow that with a white? Or did the orange finish out nice enough?

TTQ B4U
06-02-2016, 07:07 AM
When you used an orange pad, did you find it necessary to follow that with a white? Or did the orange finish out nice enough?

Awaiting his answer but an Orange will finish out quite nicely but it is product dependent. An example is HDAdapt. Use that with an orange pad and the only thing you might need to if being picky and looking for show car quality is to use a jeweling wax with an appropriate pad afterwards.

TTQ B4U
06-02-2016, 07:10 AM
The orange is a bit more aggressive than the white, correct? A "polishing" pad, instead of "finishing"?

Depending on the pad make/style, Orange is a medium cut pad. White is a Medium to Light Polishing Pad. Finish pads are black, red, grey, etc.....again, check with the manufacturer on their specific lineup.

mwemaxxowner
06-02-2016, 07:46 AM
I appreciate it. I was referring to the pads used in his thread. I'm buying Lake Country flat foam pads. I'm also using McKee's 360. Like the OP. I've looked at the Lake Country charts. I'm just curious about real world use and results on paint in similar condition.