PDA

View Full Version : Newbie New Car and Sealant Questions

quarian
05-01-2016, 07:57 PM
Hi all

I'm new to detailing and have a new ride arriving in August (Mercedes C 180 - dark blue), national dealer told me no stock at the moment. First new car so I read up a bit and got some products to try on my current car (a dark aubergine Lexus 9 years old). Car is washed twice a week. So far have used Duragloss 901 to wash once - I liked the product but getting out the hose is really inconvenient. Mostly use Optimum's ONRWW. Live in a very humid and hot equatorial climate and it rains quite often and really pours. Car is in underground car park most days but weekends I would park in the hot sun for several hours. I can get both Optimum and Duragloss locally which is great. I can also buy from USA and ship sometimes.

I'm using Optimum Car Wax OCW spray on and wipe after washing with ONRWW every 2 weeks. OCW gives a nice slick feel. I tried a sample of Aquawax after wash a couple of times and the shine was great, application was very easy maybe wipes off a bit easier than OCW. I use plush MF towels (Chemical Guys) and have 2 waffle weave drying towels. My wash media is 2 plus wash mitts (Duragloss). So that's what I know and now thinking to move into an easy WOWA sealant.

When I get the new car I'm thinking I want to try Optiseal on it every 2 months or so. But for a new car, what kind of prep do I need to do? Is it a must to clay? Can I just use some spray paint cleaner like Optimum Paint Prep? And even if I don't need to when new, I will need to when I want to topup the Optiseal?I've never clayed before and after all the reading, I'm concerned with 1) taking a lot of time. and 2) marring. I read about nanoskin sponge but some of the reviews say there is micro marring?

Appreciate explanation on how to do basic prep for a new car and also how to do basic prep for the reseal 2 months later. Thanks in advance!
Cindy

FUNX650
05-01-2016, 09:48 PM
Hopefully this Mike Phillips article
will provide assistance:

• http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/54451-how-detail-your-brand-new-car-mike-phillips.html

Bob