PDA

View Full Version : Need a NEW polisher....what would you guys recommend?

Pages : [1] 2

my01ws6
05-01-2016, 09:53 AM
So right now I have a PC7424 and a HF DA. As you all know time is money and I need something to save me time.

I've been looking at the Flex 3401 and the Rupes 21 Mark II. There's about a $100 price difference between the 2.

Which of these will cut fastest? Or is there something better I should be looking at? Also with the polisher you reccomend....what type and size pad would you buy to compliment it?

Thanks

briarpatch
05-01-2016, 10:21 AM
Since you're in that price range....have a look at the Griots Boss line.....

Zubair
05-01-2016, 10:38 AM
21 MKII is more powerful than a 3401, my 15ES cuts faster than my 3401 with much less effort too.

my01ws6
05-01-2016, 03:02 PM
So how much time would I save using the mark II over the flex?

GSKR
05-01-2016, 03:11 PM
So right now I have a PC7424 and a HF DA. As you all know time is money and I need something to save me time.

I've been looking at the Flex 3401 and the Rupes 21 Mark II. There's about a $100 price difference between the 2.

Which of these will cut fastest? Or is there something better I should be looking at? Also with the polisher you reccomend....what type and size pad would you buy to compliment it?

ThanksI would stick with the gg6, and many will disagree.I traveled down that road already and found myself back to the powerful gg6. You won't save a lot of time with a large throw,you only find yourself picking up a pc where you can't fit the diameter of a long throw on a lot of cars.great for boats and planes and glass polishing like sliders.This is my own personal out take on these machines.

PixelShine
05-01-2016, 03:29 PM
I don't think one could go wrong with FLEX 3401. Agreed, it has an 8mm throw vs 21mm of the RUPES Mk II BUT, the forced rotation of the Flex is more stronger. However, if achieving exactly similar results, I don't think there would be much of a difference specially with regards to time saving.

David Hayward
05-01-2016, 03:39 PM
I was also going to suggest maybe the BOSS 21. I have a GG6, 3401, lh75e and the BOSS 21 now. So far my thoughts are the larger throw polisher is a great time saver on big hoods and doors. Then I grab my lh75e for small areas and things that the BOSS doesn't fit into.

After using the boss I'm super happy with it and see myself using it more than my 3401 in the future. It runs much cooler so I like that about it, and it seems to correct equally as well if not better faster.

Hoytman
05-01-2016, 03:44 PM
I've noticed an awful lot on this forum that when time is of the essence for Mike Phillips he goes for a couple of tools.

I've noticed if speed is a top priority for him he opts for the rotary and PC style dual action polisher, OR he simply grabs the Flex 3401.

On a lot of jobs he uses the Flex 3401 as his only tool of choice for a particular job. I don't think that's because he needs to sell more of them for AG, though that is part of his job, but I feel it's because he truly likes and believes in this particular tool.

If I was a gambler and Mike was given a choice of 3 tools, I'd bet he'd choose a rotary (probably a Flex too), the 3401, and PC 7424 dual action polisher. He seems to do a lot of work with these tools, and they cover the gamut. I'm not saying he doesn't like RUPES, Boss, etc., style longer throw polishers...I'm just saying he does and has done a lot of work with the 3 tools I mentioned.

Hoytman
05-01-2016, 03:59 PM
I myself have a dual action polisher, a G110v2. I also have a cheap rotary from harbor freight. So with that my next purchase will be a 3401 because of the action not the brand. I'm sure Mike Phillips would have no trouble using any brand of da...but, I didn't mention what I thought his top 3 picks would be because of the brands, but because he chooses them for their action. I have no issues with the Griot's da's or the Porter Cable's for that matter. It's just a matter of importance to own at least one dual action polisher because the action of the tool is safe for paint...capable of removing swirls and holograms in paint with good technique and most importantly up-to-date, quality abrasives in your product of choice.

I know he likes the Flex rotary because it's light.
He likes the action of the 3401 and the power that it has.
The PC7424...I think it's just a comfort thing for him, not just literally but from a reliability standpoint, and safety to paint stand point for teaching people they too can use a machine to polish paint with out fear of damaging it.

These are just observations of mine. Though I will go out on a limb and say that I think Mike would tell you that forced rotation tools like a rotary and 3401 are capable of cutting faster than any other tools, rotary being the fastest.

There might be subtle differences in one dual action polisher over another that I may like, which ultimately would lead me to the brand I choose, I'd likely end up choosing similar differences in a long throw dual action polisher. I'm saying I'm not necessarily brand loyal as I think every tool AG sells is reliable enough to be recommended and sold by them. That's where buying through a company like Autogeek comes in handy; they pick the best of products to sell to Joe Consumer. That leaves some of the guess work out of it for pro's and weekend warriors alike. A win, win.

GSKR
05-01-2016, 04:25 PM
The 3401 is a powerful tool,but it takes a learning curve to master the tool.very different from your standard griots 15 or 21 and the rupes as well.

Kamakaz1961
05-01-2016, 04:30 PM
I've noticed an awful lot on this forum that when time is of the essence for Mike Phillips he goes for a couple of tools.

I've noticed if speed is a top priority for him he opts for the rotary and PC style dual action polisher, OR he simply grabs the Flex 3401.

On a lot of jobs he uses the Flex 3401 as his only tool of choice for a particular job. I don't think that's because he needs to sell more of them for AG, though that is part of his job, but I feel it's because he truly likes and believes in this particular tool.

If I was a gambler and Mike was given a choice of 3 tools, I'd bet he'd choose a rotary (probably a Flex too), the 3401, and PC 7424 dual action polisher. He seems to do a lot of work with these tools, and they cover the gamut. I'm not saying he doesn't like RUPES, Boss, etc., style longer throw polishers...I'm just saying he does and has done a lot of work with the 3 tools I mentioned.

This is a great point. I myself am a Flex guy too. Nothing wrong with the Boss or Rupes...but if you want a beast that can be used abused and thrown in your work storage without any hiccups...this is where I would go too.

Hoytman
05-01-2016, 04:45 PM
I suppose if you're handy with tools and can comprehend Mike's tremendously great writing skills as well as learn from his many videos, then it would probably be easy enough to learn to use the 3401. I had only used it once, at one of Mike's training get-togethers, and since I can use a rotary, I found the 3401 to be "different", but I don't think it's all that difficult to use. I have used one a couple of times since...which convinced me I needed one.

It really takes no more learning curve than it would to use an abrasive product that you've never used (think...you have to put the time in to find the quirks). Put it on low and leave it there until you get used to. It shouldn't be that hard. However, I do realize there is some learning curve for new users, but I purposely chose not to mention it in my comments. I chose only to highlight the tools that I see Mike so often rely on, a subtle difference, but a difference none-the-less.

Besides learning to use a tool to get a desired result and liking it during the process are different animals. Again, "a subtle difference, but a difference none-the-less". One might explain it like this: I don't like using the rotary, but if I have to use one knowing it's the quickest way to get the grunt work done, then give me a light rotary tool like the Flex that Mike so often uses. My DA is still much lighter than the Flex rotary, but there's a time and a place for each tool if, like the OP mentioned, time is a factor.

Hoytman
05-01-2016, 04:54 PM
Let me clarify...

I did not say the things above to pit the long throw machines versus the 3401, rather, I tried to keep the context of my words as indicating how often I see Mike choose 3 certain tools. The long throws are great in their own right and I'm certain can find a place in anyone's tool chest.

Below is just one the many examples where machine choice means a lot when time/money are the biggest factors for a detail.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-make-money-detailing-cars/58359-how-use-one-step-cleaner-wax-maximize-profits.html

dlc95
05-01-2016, 05:12 PM
What pads and compounds are you using? You don't necessarily need a new machine to increase production.

WRAPT C5Z06
05-01-2016, 05:40 PM
Flex 3401