PDA

View Full Version : Help Before I Start My Polishing Process

Pages : [1] 2 3

uhohitsstevo
04-30-2016, 02:51 PM
TO START

Okay so before I finish my order and finalize my everything and start my polishing process I want to make sure I have everything straight and that I am making the right decisions and doing this the right way.

Before I start - My car is a 2016 Volkswagen GLI SEL in Black Pearl. I plan on doing a full polish and detail before summer and then before winter to protect it from the elements. Currently the car has swirls (nothing bad and really need to look HARD to find them. There is no deep scratches that need to be taken out.) paint is in a 8 out of 10 condition I would estimate.

POLISHING

I currently ordered M105 and M205 to use as my polishes.
I have a Griots 6inch DA Polisher with a lake country 5in backing plate with multiple pads (2 blue fine finishing pads, 2 black finishing pads, 2 white polishing pads, 2 orange light cutting pads, and 1 yellow cutting pad).

I plan on using the M205 first as a test to see if I can get away with the least aggressive polish, I will use this with an orange pad and then use M205 with a black finishing pad.

If this does not work to my satisfaction I will use the M105 with orange cutting pad and then M205 with black or white finishing pad.

QUESTION

Will 205 finish out good enough or should I invest in some Menzerna PO85RD. I am not looking to use a three step process I would prefer to only use a 2 step but I am wondering if I will need something finer?

I also see things like Wolfgang Finishing Glaze Polish. Is this a mixture between a glaze and a polish? And if I use this if it has fillers I would not want to do an IPA wipe down?

Is the process I plan on using a good one with starting with M205 and what pad combos would you recommend different from what I plan on using?

Do you really need a swirl light finder or do you think the sun and a LED video light will be enough? The video light has a orangish/yellowish color cover I can use if the light needs to be a warmer temperature.

GLAZE

I have read many things about glazes. Some people like them and some people have other things to say. I was looking at buying the Poor Boys Black Hole Glaze to use before my sealant but I read online that if you polish good enough then a glaze is useless and essentially using a glaze is like cutting corners for not getting all the swirls out.

QUESTION
Should I use a glaze or should I use a finishing polish or should I use neither and just finish with the M205?

Will the glaze last as long as the sealant on top of it lasts?

Is it a waste if I polish it good enough or will it add shine? I do not want to mask scratches I want to get them out.

SEALANT
I plan on using Wolfgang WG-5500 Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0

QUESTION

Will this sealant stick to a glaze on top well?

I don't know whether I should put a wax on top or not. Also should I use one layer or two layers of this sealant?

THE END

I appreciate all the help as this will be one of the first times I am doing something this in depth and actually really caring about the outcome. Any other recommendations would be great.

goldenlight
04-30-2016, 03:06 PM
I would focus on the polishing steps then seal with your favorate sealant. A glaze in my opinion hides Swirls. Learned this from a New Car buying experience..

Kamakaz1961
04-30-2016, 03:25 PM
If you are going to polish your ride skip the Glaze. No need for it. Glaze is used as a cover up on minor scratches. No need for Glaze if you are polishing. M105/M205 should be fine no need to get Menzerna. After you polish you can either put on a sealant or wax...your preference...should not matter.As for the pads....If they are Lake Country Pads...the Orange is for correcting (M105) the White pads are for polishing (M205). The Black pad is for your LSP (Last Step Product or some call it Process). You should be good to go...Please show pics and most of all HAVE FUN detailing!

dlc95
04-30-2016, 04:20 PM
If you haven't ordered yet, consider Meguiar's M100. It's much easier to use than M105.

uhohitsstevo
04-30-2016, 04:50 PM
If you haven't ordered yet, consider Meguiar's M100. It's much easier to use than M105.

Easier to use in what ways?

Kamakaz1961
04-30-2016, 05:52 PM

Don't look too much into this. The products you picked are great products. Some may work better others won't....that will take time and experience to learn. Your M105 and M205 are widely used and widely accepted. DO NOT GET any more polishing products. You have covered the detail base. Just keep it simple! Enjoy learning how to use your DA. The choice of DA and products you picked are great products. Do not worry about your products...worry more about your technique. Technique IMO (and many might disagree) is the best to become better. Product is secondary.

As time goes on you may want to try different products and start using them as your go to's. But as I said before you have a great combination and learn to detail before you leap to different products. You will soon figure out what products work best for you and others that don't.
Just have fun and enjoy. Remember, have fun! Pics when you are done!

GSKR
04-30-2016, 06:06 PM
IF the paint you say is 8 out of 10 ,skip all that and get some HD speed on a micro cutting pad with slow arm speed on that paint and turn this into a one step polish.you more than likely will have promblems with 105 sticking.or you can use 205 on a micro cutting pad.just got done with a 05 black faded Tahoe with 240000 on the clock.my initial plan was to use xmt glaze on it by hand to help this couple sell this truck.Being that it was about 85 degrees out I changed the plans.gg6 thin orange pad and HD speed then powerlock.Truck is glossy and 85 percent correction,I had to remove the baked on pathetic pinstripe cause some of it was gone,and the HD removed the ghosting.Give it a try you won't be disappointed .

uhohitsstevo
04-30-2016, 06:07 PM
Don't look too much into this. The products you picked are great products. Some may work better others won't....that will take time and experience to learn. Your M105 and M205 are widely used and widely accepted. DO NOT GET any more polishing products. You have covered the detail base. Just keep it simple! Enjoy learning how to use your DA. The choice of DA and products you picked are great products. Do not worry about your products...worry more about your technique. Technique IMO (and many might disagree) is the best to become better. Product is secondary.

As time goes on you may want to try different products and start using them as your go to's. But as I said before you have a great combination and learn to detail before you leap to different products. You will soon figure out what products work best for you and others that don't.
Just have fun and enjoy. Remember, have fun! Pics when you are done!

This is what I am going to do. Thank you man.

AZpolisher15
04-30-2016, 06:18 PM
Ive read (and it was suggested to me) that it's nice to have like 5 pads minimum (same color) for a single polishing session. I ask this question to all of you... Would the op be better off scaling back to just 1 blue/1 black and instead picking up two additional white pads? I'm just thinking that's the pad most likely to be used for a majority of the 205 work (and 205 may well be all the car needs).

Or 1 additional white and 1 additional orange?

My point is... At least for this first run, you don't need a total of 4 blue/blacks. You might just appreciate 2-3 of those pads being white or yellow for now. What do you guys think? I'm far from an experienced detailer- just sharing what was suggested to me a few months ago when I was in a similar spot.

Also, be sure you add up the total price of the 9 pads. You might get two six packs for nearly the same price.

dlc95
04-30-2016, 06:23 PM

It has a tendency to dry out quickly.

Unfortunately it sometimes has a negative impact on ones perception of the product, and their polishing experience.

M105 is an awesome product, but you might have to experiment with your process more than you would have imagined. Maybe not.

Remember, my suggestion was predicated on - "If you haven't ordered yet".

Kamakaz1961
04-30-2016, 06:32 PM
Excellent question which will help you as well as the OP. When I make a correction detail I usually use 4 Orange Lake Country Pads for Compounding (M105) the entire car. I use 4 White Pads for Polishing. I believe the Blue Lake Country Pads are very similar to the Lake Country Orange Pads. As for the Yellow Pad I do not feel it necessary. IMO that may be too aggressive. Till this day, I use the Lake Country Orange Pads for compounding and the White Pads for Polishing. I do have a couple of Blue Pads for compounding when I have used all the Orange Pads. As for the Black Pad is just 1 for the LSP.

So if it were me at LEAST 3 (preferably 4) Orange (compounding) Pads and at LEAST 3 (preferably 4) White (polishing) Pads. 1 Black Pad. That is the Lake Country CCS, Hybrids and Flat Pads. If you have the Blue Pads that is very similar to the Orange pads. But a better choice would be 4 Pads each. AGAIN, 1 Black Pad for the LSP....no need for more. Again, this is a typical car. Any larger car more pads. The reason why is you want to avoid PAD SATURATION. Once your pad becomes saturated it will not be as effective as a new pad. I do not know the color pads for different brands such as Meg's or Rupes pads.

I would section of each part of the car for the 4 Pads. You can use 3 but 4 would be better or even more. So your point of having 5 Pads is a great choice. The more experience you get in polishing you will figure out how many pads you need. I usually use 3 or 4 as of today and that is because of my IMPROVED TECHNIQUE. I say with less experience use more pads as it can't hurt only help.

AZpolisher15
04-30-2016, 06:44 PM
Excellent question which will help you as well as the OP. When I make a correction detail I usually use 4 Orange Lake Country Pads for Compounding (M105) the entire car. I use 4 White Pads for Polishing. I believe the Blue Lake Country Pads are very similar to the Lake Country Orange Pads. As for the Yellow Pad I do not feel it necessary. IMO that may be too aggressive. Till this day, I use the Lake Country Orange Pads for compounding and the White Pads for Polishing. I do have a couple of Blue Pads for compounding when I have used all the Orange Pads. As for the Black Pad is just 1 for the LSP.

So if it were me at LEAST 3 (preferably 4) Orange (compounding) Pads and at LEAST 3 (preferably 4) White (polishing) Pads. 1 Black Pad. That is the Lake Country CCS, Hybrids and Flat Pads. If you have the Blue Pads that is very similar to the Orange pads. But a better choice would be 4 Pads each. AGAIN, 1 Black Pad for the LSP....no need for more. Again, this is a typical car. Any larger car more pads. The reason why is you want to avoid PAD SATURATION. Once your pad becomes saturated it will not be as effective as a new pad. I do not know the color pads for different brands such as Meg's or Rupes pads.

I would section of each part of the car for the 4 Pads. You can use 3 but 4 would be better or even more.
(I meant to say orange instead of yellow in my previous post- I agree, yellow is too aggressive- I had those two flip-flopped in my mind)

Thanks for your reply. If I remember correctly, on my first order I went with LC flats-- 1 orange (knowing I wouldn't be compounding my entire truck), 5 white, and 2 black (thinking I may want to do some jewling on the hood in addition to LSP). I've since added the 3" (or 3.5"?) backing plate and smaller pads in same colors- so I could get into smaller areas.

Kamakaz1961
04-30-2016, 06:50 PM
(I meant to say orange instead of yellow in my previous post- I agree, yellow is too aggressive- I had those two flip-flopped in my mind)

Thanks for your reply.

I just put a little add on to my quote. With the less experience you have in polishing I would suggest using even MORE pads....so 5 or 6 pads for compounding and polishing would be at least the way I would go. In time and when you improve your technique you may use less pads. I am down to 3 and 4 pads when I do a compound/polish. In either case, more pads cannot hurt your detailing, it can only help.

uhohitsstevo
04-30-2016, 09:50 PM
I just put a little add on to my quote. With the less experience you have in polishing I would suggest using even MORE pads....so 5 or 6 pads for compounding and polishing would be at least the way I would go. In time and when you improve your technique you may use less pads. I am down to 3 and 4 pads when I do a compound/polish. In either case, more pads cannot hurt your detailing, it can only help.

And one more question, obviously polishing will remove old wax correct.

PaulMys
04-30-2016, 10:08 PM
It has a tendency to dry out quickly.

Unfortunately it sometimes has a negative impact on ones perception of the product, and their polishing experience.

M105 is an awesome product, but you might have to experiment with your process more than you would have imagined. Maybe not.

Remember, my suggestion was predicated on - "If you haven't ordered yet".

105 is a fickle bi*ch. Works great on deeper swirls, but I agree with dlc95. It dries quickly, but if you adjust your process, it's no big deal.