PDA

View Full Version : Does Uber coating play well with Essence

postaddict
04-29-2016, 09:29 AM
I'll be coating my car with Uber in the next few weeks. I have a bottle of Carpro Essence that I'd like to use up also. Can I top Essence with Wolfgang Uber coating the same way I'd do with CQUK ie without doing a chemical wipedown before coating? My paint is soft and in the past have caused marring when wiped with eraser or ipa.

I also bought some Solution Finish for the ext trim. Currently, the trim has PERL on it and I can't clean it off. I've tried everything including 99% ipa. All that happens when i wipe it is it leaves a wipe residue. Will the Solution Finish adhere with whatever perl is left?

Jaretr1
04-29-2016, 10:12 AM
To answer your first question, I did a very light wipedown after Essence and applied Uber on top of it and there did not seem to be a problem. In theory you should be able to top Essence with Uber without problems.

I am surprised you are having issues with removing Perl. I beleive it is water based, and in my experience, has very poor durability. So maybe just give it some time to wash and wear off.

mwoolfso
04-29-2016, 12:39 PM
I purchased Solution Finish 2-3 years ago; not pleased with it and probably the worst product I ever purchased on AGO. Certainly not AGO's fault.

Setec Astronomy
04-29-2016, 12:46 PM
To answer your first question, I did a very light wipedown after Essence and applied Uber on top of it and there did not seem to be a problem. In theory you should be able to top Essence with Uber without problems.

Optimum has stated that they consider Essence to be a contaminant that is incompatible with their coatings (my words)--this may only apply to Opti-Coat and not to Gloss-Coat. So at least some coating mfrs. would disagree with your "In theory..." Nick would have to chime in about this instance, unless he has elsewhere and I'm sounding like an idiot.

I am surprised you are having issues with removing Perl. I beleive it is water based, and in my experience, has very poor durability. So maybe just give it some time to wash and wear off.

I haven't used PERL (I have a sample bottle of it that is waiting for...well I dunno why I haven't tried it), but it's supposed to have some SiO2 in it...which makes it kind of a coating-dressing...or something like that.