PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth cleaning inner aluminum wheel?

Pages : [1] 2

mycarmycar28582
04-27-2016, 09:41 PM
I mean if it's a waste of time or a good waste of time to clean the inner sides of aluminum rims with wheel cleaner, automotive soap, claybar, metal polish, and wax. These wheels haven't been deep cleaned since bought (probably running 5 years now), so they are pretty dirty and don't look as good as they use to. Would it be a waste of time to do the inners or should I just do the outsides? I want to do everything but I know that's time consuming, tell me what you guys think.

Setec Astronomy
04-27-2016, 09:52 PM
That's up to you. We usually refer to the "inner side" as the barrel. If the barrels are painted, it's (relatively) easy to clean them up. If the barrels are unpainted, after 5 years they are probably so pitted that it will be a huge job to clean them up, and they won't stay clean.

I think most of us true 'Geeks polish and seal the backs of the spokes and the barrels.

AGOatemywallet
04-27-2016, 10:12 PM
In my opinion, it is only worth it if you are going to coat the inner barrels AND they are visible thru the face of the wheel.

I clean and wax my wheel wells as part of my weekly wash

I do not clean the barrels of the stock wheels on my Chevy Equinox lease vehicle. They appear powder coated grey when dirty.

BrutalNoodle
04-27-2016, 10:20 PM
I mean if it's a waste of time or a good waste of time to clean the inner sides of aluminum rims with wheel cleaner, automotive soap, claybar, metal polish, and wax. These wheels haven't been deep cleaned since bought (probably running 5 years now), so they are pretty dirty and don't look as good as they use to. Would it be a waste of time to do the inners or should I just do the outsides? I want to do everything but I know that's time consuming, tell me what you guys think.

Go with that. Set aside a good day and have at it.

I don't know about you, but if I skip on something, I would have that nagging "unfinished" feeling haunting me through out the week. Once I know there's a spot that needs to be addressed - I HAVE to do it.

At least remove one wheel and see how it goes. If you live in fairly decent climate (no harsh winters), chances are they would clean up easily. 5 years of build up is really nothing here in the Bay Area. I've dealt with wheels that hadn't been cleaned for well over a decade and they came out well.

Don M
04-28-2016, 06:44 AM
If the barrels are visible, then it's a no-brainer-they need to be cleaned etc. If they are not (like on the steel wheels on my Camaro), then IMO it's optional.

BillE
04-28-2016, 07:11 AM
You can always time it for when you rotate your tires.

Already taking the wheels off to "move" them...good time to clean 'em.

Just my 2¢.

Bill

Setec Astronomy
04-28-2016, 07:15 AM
You can always time it for when you rotate your tires.

Already taking the wheels off to "move" them...good time to clean 'em.

That's what I do.

brettS4
04-28-2016, 07:57 AM
You guys rotate tires?

Mantilgh
04-28-2016, 09:17 AM
You guys rotate tires?

Yep, it's a good excuse to clean the barrels. "Honey, I'm going to do a full wheels off detail this afternoon, ops I mean the tires need rotated."

KB in MD
04-28-2016, 09:23 AM
I mean if it's a waste of time or [b] a good waste of time [\b] to clean the inner sides of aluminum rims with wheel cleaner, automotive soap, claybar, metal polish, and wax. These wheels haven't been deep cleaned since bought (probably running 5 years now), so they are pretty dirty and don't look as good as they use to. Would it be a waste of time to do the inners or should I just do the outsides? I want to do everything but I know that's time consuming, tell me what you guys think.

is there such a thing as a good waste of time?
As stated above I do it when I rotate my factory steel wheels :(

Setec Astronomy
04-28-2016, 09:31 AM
You guys rotate tires?

Yep

Brett, I don't know if that was sarcasm/joking, whether you have a staggered setup that you can't rotate, whether you never rotate your tires, whether you were expressing surprise that some of us do it ourselves rather than dealer/tire shop...or what.

99monguse
04-28-2016, 10:05 AM
Not much looks worse then a clean-shiney car, clean wheels, dressed tires and filthy barrels that can be seen. Most modern day alloy wheels have the barrels visable, so I clean mine EVERY wash.

Eldorado2k
04-28-2016, 10:24 AM
In my opinion, it is only worth it if they are visible thru the face of the wheel.

This👆🏽

I've went ahead and cleaned the barrels on my wheels..

I was able to get 1 completely 100% clean once while it was off the car due to a flat.. But once I put it back on you couldn't even tell the difference, because the barrels on these wheels just don't show. So I don't even bother on my own car.

But all other wheels I touch get the barrels cleaned.

NYV6Coupe
04-28-2016, 11:42 AM
If you can see it, clean it.

If you think you can see it, clean it.

If you imagine that you think you can see it, clean it.

brettS4
04-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Brett, I don't know if that was sarcasm/joking, whether you have a staggered setup that you can't rotate, whether you never rotate your tires, whether you were expressing surprise that some of us do it ourselves rather than dealer/tire shop...or what.

I was kidding. Altho I technically never rotate my tires. I just switch between summer and winter wheels and don't bother keeping track of which goes where, other than making sure directional wheels spin the right way. The tires see about 8-10k miles before the switch. I've been doing that for 15 years and have very even tire wear with each set of tires lasting about 4 years. Another advantage of summer/snow tire packages.