PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Pads For 2 Step Process

uhohitsstevo
04-27-2016, 04:09 PM
I am currently going to use Meguiar's M105/M205 because this was pretty much the best 2 step process I have found and been recommended. I want to look at polishing pads that will remove slight swirls and some deeper then others and I am looking for a pad that will finish extremely well. I was looking at Chemical Guys pads, and Lake Country pads. I do not know what I am going to need to get the job done. If i have one spot where I really need to get scratches out but can't is the best bet to keep polishing or invest in a more aggressive pad and tackle it that way. I am new to this so I am looking for a combination where I am going to really be able to get almost anything out. I have the Griots 6in polisher.

Also a quick question that I have if someone knows. If I go with a medium heavy pad, a medium light, and a finishing pad. Say I have an area where I need to use the heavy pad, would I then follow it up with the medium and then finishing or could I go from heavy and then right to the finishing pad.

dlc95
04-27-2016, 04:21 PM
Buff and Shine actually manufacture the Hex Logic Pads. You can find the non hex version here at Autogeek.

The most popular pad set of of recent years is:

Orange cutting
White polishing
Black finishing

From both the Lake Country Flat, and CCS lines, as well as Buff and Shine.

You might also consider Lake Country's Hydrotech line of closed cell European prepolymer foam pads. Very simply, they only have three pads in the line.

Cyan cutting
Tangerine polishing
Crimson finishing

They have a reputation for excellent cutting and finishing. These are some of my favorite pads.

My own personal selection is to use the green Buff and Shine or Hex logic to cut, Blue to polish, and red to finish. It's a little different, but works really well for me.

The Guz
04-27-2016, 04:28 PM
I would consider the Meguiar's thin foam disks.

uhohitsstevo
04-27-2016, 04:39 PM
Do you use the red to apply your sealant or is this a 3 step process? I really am looking to keep it to 2 step because I think 2 step is actually plenty. I don't see a need for a super fine finishing polish if you use a glaze then good sealant.

dlc95
04-27-2016, 08:48 PM
Do you use the red to apply your sealant or is this a 3 step process? I really am looking to keep it to 2 step because I think 2 step is actually plenty. I don't see a need for a super fine finishing polish if you use a glaze then good sealant.

Yes, I use red for sealant application.

dlc95
04-27-2016, 08:50 PM
I would consider the Meguiar's thin foam disks.

Indeed, another three pad solution. Keeps things from getting super complicated. I hear great things about Meg's foam discs, but have yet to use them. Next sale, I'll have to try some. I love their microfiber pads.