PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Pads Not Gripping

Zubair
04-27-2016, 02:38 PM
Hoping someone can help, I have quite a few near perfect foam pads that haven't delaminated from the material side nor has the foam torn. The issue is the material or loop side of the foam pad wont attach or stay attached to the hook side of the backing plate. I hate to waste perfect pads, how do I fix this and prevent this happening in future?

dlc95
04-27-2016, 03:03 PM
What kind of pads?

RaskyR1
04-27-2016, 03:08 PM
Hoping someone can help, I have quite a few near perfect foam pads that haven't delaminated from the material side nor has the foam torn. The issue is the material or loop side of the foam pad wont attach or stay attached to the hook side of the backing plate. I hate to waste perfect pads, how do I fix this and prevent this happening in future?

Different tool manufactures use different hook & loop systems for their backing plates, not all will be 100% compatible with every make of pad. An example would be Meguiar's, which has a Velcro for optimal use with their MF pads...3rd party backing plates can generate more heat, not have enough grip, or in some cases too much grip. Obviously it would be best to pair your pads from the same manufacture as the backing plat manufacturer, but everyone likes to try different pads so this in rarely the case.

Also, pad over-saturation, where polish seeps down on to the backing plate, can reduce the hold of the Velcro. If your backing plate has dried polish residue on it that could be a factor as well.

Zubair
04-27-2016, 03:23 PM
Pads are LC flat Yellow,Orange,White,Black. They look intact just wont grip on any of my machines, 3401 & PE-14, tried on the Rupes too. They use to grip just fine, am hoping not to let these go to waste as they look like they have plenty mileage left in them. There's no tears, adhesive of backing material to foam is intact just cant get them to stay on the machine.

RaskyR1
04-27-2016, 05:15 PM
How old are they or how many uses have you gotten out of them? The backing material does wear out.

Zubair
04-28-2016, 02:05 AM
About 6 months old, these particular pads I would say around 20 cars used mainly on the DAS6(PC)for mild correction. This is the second issue I'm having with LC pads in the same area. I'm gona replace all my LC pads with Buff n Shine as so far they been holding up better.

Mike Phillips
04-28-2016, 07:08 AM
Different tool manufactures use different hook & loop systems for their backing plates, not all will be 100% compatible with every make of pad.

An example would be Meguiar's, which has a Velcro for optimal use with their MF pads...3rd party backing plates can generate more heat, not have enough grip, or in some cases too much grip.

Obviously it would be best to pair your pads from the same manufacture as the backing plat manufacturer, but everyone likes to try different pads so this in rarely the case.

Also, pad over-saturation, where polish seeps down on to the backing plate, can reduce the hold of the Velcro. If your backing plate has dried polish residue on it that could be a factor as well.

I cover these topics plus the topic of compatible and non-compatible hook-n-loop on page 54 in my how to book.

The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine (http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-create-a-show-car-shine-book.html)

Here's a shot from that page showing a close-up of hooks.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=104572

:)