PDA

View Full Version : Autowash anarchy on my black paint

b00gyman
04-26-2016, 08:24 PM
Long time lurker here. I am as amateur as it comes to detailing, aside from my ocd and love of pampering my cars.

Last winter ran my black car through a automated car wash... long story short...anarchy with spider webs and deep vertical and horizontal scratches.

Overall, I don't belive it made it through the clear coat. I have used what I've read here with the tools I have, a 10 inch basic buffer with various bonnet types and my hands with microfiber applicators.

Thus far, tried Megs #2 and #9 without enough of a cut to get the scratches. Webs are gone and overall things are way better.

The main questions I have, should I move to megs 105? Spend the money on a better tool? Or just take it to a professional and keep what I have for future maintenence?

I love my car and am willing to spend the time needed to try, just wondering what your thoughts are. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ronkh57
04-26-2016, 08:34 PM
1. read Mike Philips book
2. Watch the videos
3. Figure out if it's worth the investment in machine pad chems etc.

AGOatemywallet
04-26-2016, 08:57 PM
The 1st required step is ditching the 10" polisher and bonnets.

Step two is building a base of knowledge that will allow you to get good results without damaging your vehicle.

Step three is deciding how far you want to go with this new hobby.

Setec Astronomy
04-26-2016, 08:59 PM
The 1st required step is ditching the 10" polisher and bonnets.

Step two is building a base of knowledge that will allow you to get good results without damaging your vehicle.

Step three is deciding how far you want to go with this new hobby.

This.

shadwell
04-26-2016, 09:16 PM
The step before the first step is do not ever go through that car wash again..

Fourth step will most likely be to invest in a short throw DA, and light correction specific pads and compounds..

Fifth will be the inevitable avalananche of making it pefect and the unending quest for a better product...... see you soon ;)

b00gyman
04-26-2016, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the rapid comments. I've spent so much time reading and watching videos, the bags under my eyes need a DA correction.

I think I'll be looking more specifically into the DA and pads as I chase this dream down the rabbit hole. I like the idea of calling it a hobby, completely fits. Let the quest begin

b00gyman
04-26-2016, 10:01 PM
Ooh, and trust me... I've black listed ALL car washes.