PDA

View Full Version : Polishing a t%rd... my Nemesis

shadwell
04-26-2016, 05:52 PM
After getting some great results with; mother in laws, wifes, mine (see what i did there), a neighbours and a mates cars (all european)...Largeley due to the information available through this site over the last few years....

I finally met my nemesis.. The father in laws second had CLK... light metallic blue..
This had the lot; oxidation, water spots, bird ####, bat ####, sap, pollen, spots of clearcoat failure, scratches small dings.. baked wheels and callipers, filthy engine bay and a light tan interior with a previous smoker owner.. what a pile o poo...

Anyway, went throught the motions, foam, rinse, engine bay and wheels (degrease and wheel cleaner resp..) rinse.. Iron-X the whole car.. then clay the whole car... it felt like sand paper.. wash and rinse again.. and see there is / was / has never been any paint protection on the poor thing.. OK....
Wheels off hit again with Meg WB.. got them back, then clay..

Then hit the callipers with wire wheel brush.. and then again with wheel cleaner.. and iron x.. finally clean..
The hit the black overspray on the lower fenders with a magic eraser (i had tried solvents, polish, clothes, tar remover, acetone.. ).. it was abrasives time hence te mildest abrasive i have the eraser.. shifted it.. but of course was misty afterwards.. no problem....

I then checked the paint which was finally "clean" (I almost used the world smooth but reconsidered..).
There remained all the swirls and RID's etc.. and the damaged paint mentioned earlier..
I started my test patch, and ended up with Scholl S3 Gold and yellow Scholl pad..
It sorted out this particular spots swirl and some deeper scratches and demoolished the light oxidation left.. it was looking promising..

Right.. onto the rest of the car.. and as i progress and encoutner some of the heavier scratches i notice they won't improve.. i run a second pass and again little to no impro9vment.. I clean the panel and run my nauil acrosss them.. they are toally smooth..... ?!?!? Oh bugger... The care was re-cleared without full correction by the prvious owner and somehow they have managed to lock in a load of defects.. sealed for eternity (or until a respray... )
Crest fallen i proceede to finish off the rest of the car knowing that i was litterlally skimming the surface.,. nothing shy of a full re-spray was gonna get this looking decent..
Once done with the S3 (which finished down remarkably well).. i went over it with Car-Pro reflect.. also finisges beutifully...

Anyhow, it was finisehd with Megs cleaner wax, then topped with 845 (the most durable I had to hand, knowing the care it will (not) receive)... Body and wheels..
The headlights were fully corrected (oxidised to yellow) , windscreen hit with cerri-glass to remove a god awful scratch from the monoblade.. worked brilliantly

The interior i hit with a magic eraser on the plastics and APC with my bissel extractor.. ew.. cigarette tar filth.. the water was like coca cola.. glass cleaner on the front screen meth and water on the side and rear (tinted)... carpets were shampoo'd scrubbed then ectracted.. again filthy...

Aside from that i also had to do.. new; engine mounts, transmission mounts, serpentine tensioner pulley replaced, new wiper blade, cleaned cabin filter, air flilter and finally MAF..

30 plus or so hours in total... and still it looked like a glossy (but functional ) blue poo...

Oh well.. the father in law is blown away, and feels proud as punch driving it.. and seeing him thrilled inspired me to buy him a new head unit... (old one was literally worn out, can't read what the buttons do) now i have to install that to already butchered cables in the center dash..

SO WHO ELSE HAS HAD A NEMESIS ?????

AGOatemywallet
04-26-2016, 09:02 PM
The power of the "Afters" is in the "Befores"

shadwell
04-26-2016, 09:32 PM
Totally.. the beauty ?!?! of this one though is the befores have been sealed in by ome body shop phillistine.. ... so now you get to enjoy them forever.. aarrgghhh..

MattPersman
04-27-2016, 05:23 AM
Great job buddy, I am sure your family really appreciates you.

Paul A.
04-27-2016, 05:56 AM
I have had a few jobs like that and quite honestly are the most enjoyable for me because they show the most improvement. It usually results in the same reaction your father-in-law had and the WOW can be seen on their face! That's the best! Nice job on making him happy with your skills, mate.