PDA

View Full Version : Now what?

stanza387
04-25-2016, 10:40 AM
So I recently completely detailed my car. I used Wolfgangs TSR 3.0, Wolfgang finishing glaze 3.0 and topped it off with Meguairs synthetic sealant #21. Although I am completely impressed and happy with the products I used and their results, there is still ALOT of random deep scratches (most of which I'm just gonna have to live with) and there's still some deeper swirls left. I want to go back and get the rest of the swirls out and some of the more shallower scratches out. I know I'm obviously gonna have to go more aggressive (i used an orange LC CCS pad last time) but I just wanted to get some suggestions from u more experienced guys on what I should do. My plan is to go back and completely redue the car more aggessively. I also want to mention I DID do my test spot the first time but I was just so anxious to dive in and use my new Porter Cable 7424xp that I just didn't care lol plus it's a daily driver so it's basically my practice car. But it did turn out very good and looks great but there's just a lot more that can be done to it. Thanks guys for any suggestions!

C.Moore
04-25-2016, 11:01 AM
Be careful on the deeper swirls or some may call rids .. I know youre after that show car finish like all of us but with a daily driver it can be beneficial to leave the deeper swirls so you're leaving plenty of clear coat on the paint .. But if you want to try and get the deeper scratches maybe look into a more aggressive compound or more aggressive pad .. Something that would be easy to get would be meguiars ultimate compound and then go back over it with your Wolfgang total swirl remover

C.Moore
04-25-2016, 11:03 AM
I would go over the car and mark the deeper swirls with something like a post it note and just try to spot fix them instead of going over the whole car

FUNX650
04-25-2016, 12:05 PM
Be careful on the deeper swirls or some may call rids .. I know youre after that show car finish like all of us but with a daily driver it can be beneficial to leave the deeper swirls so you're leaving plenty of clear coat on the paint .. But if you want to try and get the deeper scratches maybe look into a more aggressive compound or more aggressive pad .. Something that would be easy to get would be meguiars ultimate compound and then go back over it with your Wolfgang total swirl remover

I would go over the car and mark the deeper swirls with something like a post it note and just try to spot fix them instead of going over the whole car
^^^ Good Advice! ^^^

But...I also try to keep this
in mind when polishing paint:

The goal is UMR, that is Uniform Material Removal.

The reason for this is so that you remove
an equal amount of paint over each section
and in turn over the entire car.

Bob

stanza387
04-25-2016, 01:42 PM
Do u guys think the Meguairs ultimate compound M105 is to aggressive? Should I step it down to the medium M205?

brettS4
04-25-2016, 01:48 PM
I think M205 is going to be about the same as your TSR 3.0 (actually I think TSR is slightly more aggressive). If you don't already own the M205, I wouldn't bother buying it. It's hard to give suggestions without knowing more about your car or seeing photos of the problem areas, but I'd say try your TSR with a more aggressive pad first. If that isn't giving you the results you want, move up to a more aggressive compound and your original pad. Then trying the more aggressive compound and more aggressive pad as a last resort.

FUNX650
04-25-2016, 02:32 PM
Do u guys think the Meguairs ultimate compound M105 is to aggressive?
Should I step it down to the medium M205?

I'd try Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (G-172)
first...it is not quite as aggressive as their M105.

Bob

Ancient1
04-25-2016, 10:13 PM
With what you have I would get some Menz fg400 and some Megs MF cutting pads. That would give you the flexibility on your test spot to try the 400 with a foam pad and if that isn't aggressive enough you could then try the MF pads with the 400 and the haze left should be easily finished with the WG glaze 3.0. There are a couple other compounds that from what I have read on the forums that I would consider besides the fg400, the new 3D aat 501 compound and the GG fast correcting cream. The combination that has worked best for me is the FG400 with a MF cutting pad and finished with sf3500 or sf3800 and a polishing pad which are similar of the same as the WG finishing glaze 3.0. But pretty much everything I have done/will do has quite hard paint except my roommates car which is quite soft.