PDA

View Full Version : Which nanocoating for practice?

TheNuke
04-25-2016, 08:47 AM
Hello,

I have a detailer in my area who has detailed cars for me in the past and does nice work. I'm taking my recently purchased black 2012 Audi A6 to him for paint correction (decent amount of swirling, light scratches) and full detail.

When I asked him if he has ever done any nano-coating work he mentioned that he hasn't really and has only used a polymer based paint sealant by Auto Magic and other AIOs. After discussing it with him he mentioned that he may be interested in offering coatings as a service and would be willing to give it a shot on my vehicle when I have it in. Yes, I realize that I'm taking a chance by using someone with no experience in this department, but it looks like many of the available coatings are relatively simple to apply, assuming you follow the steps outlined.

My questions to you guys are as follows:
1. Is there a coating you would recommend for someone new to applying coatings? 22PLE? Wolfgang?
- The vehicle is a black 2012 Audi A6
- Application temp will be around 60F
- Vehicle is located in Northeast Wisconsin, so it will be subject to cold temps, snow, and salt
2. Should I avoid someone I know as a good detailer, but with no coating experience?
3. What questions did I not ask that I should be asking?

Thanks in advance for any help!

LSNAutoDetailing
04-25-2016, 09:08 AM
Hello,

I have a detailer in my area who has detailed cars for me in the past and does nice work. I'm taking my recently purchased black 2012 Audi A6 to him for paint correction (decent amount of swirling, light scratches) and full detail.

When I asked him if he has ever done any nano-coating work he mentioned that he hasn't really and has only used a polymer based paint sealant by Auto Magic and other AIOs. After discussing it with him he mentioned that he may be interested in offering coatings as a service and would be willing to give it a shot on my vehicle when I have it in. Yes, I realize that I'm taking a chance by using someone with no experience in this department, but it looks like many of the available coatings are relatively simple to apply, assuming you follow the steps outlined.

My questions to you guys are as follows:
1. Is there a coating you would recommend for someone new to applying coatings? 22PLE? Wolfgang?
- The vehicle is a black 2012 Audi A6
- Application temp will be around 60F
- Vehicle is located in Northeast Wisconsin, so it will be subject to cold temps, snow, and salt
2. Should I avoid someone I know as a good detailer, but with no coating experience?
3. What questions did I not ask that I should be asking?

Thanks in advance for any help!

First off, welcome to Autogeek Online Forum. I see this is your #1 post. Be sure to visit the How Too sections, and ask Mike Phillips sections. You'll gain a wealth of knowledge.

IMO, The easiest coating by far is Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating. After paint correction, use a large MF Applicator with Pinnacle Black Diamond Surface Prep Polish (removes oils from Compounds and Polishes). Then apply the coating in small 2'x2' swaths, spray-on, spread with LC Foam Applicator, let it haze over and then wipe with MF towel. Boost it in 6 MOS with PBL Diamond Booster. In between use PBL Diamond QD..

Regarding second question. There are VERY seasoned detailers who have been in the business more than 20 years that have never done coatings. Coatings are relatively new, and VERY expensive and time consuming to apply. Cost isn't just aimed at the consumer but to the detailer as well. The cost of the materials vs the clientele. Then you have to up sell the existing paint correction package by at least another $200.00 to make a profit. Not many clients will do that for a coating (because most don't even know what it is...)

If he's doing 30 cars a week, and 80 % are AIO + Interior, that is where the bread & butter is. 50ML Bottle of CQUK is $80.00, plus you need certain temps etc, paint prep, apply in small sections by hand, wait for flashing, take down high spots... Also he probably wants repeat business, so long term (2 year or more coatings) may not be good for repeat customers.

Regarding question #3: I don't know, you didn't ask them. :-)

TheNuke
04-25-2016, 10:56 AM
First off, welcome to Autogeek Online Forum. I see this is your #1 post. Be sure to visit the How Too sections, and ask Mike Phillips sections. You'll gain a wealth of knowledge.

IMO, The easiest coating by far is Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating. After paint correction, use a large MF Applicator with Pinnacle Black Diamond Surface Prep Polish (removes oils from Compounds and Polishes). Then apply the coating in small 2'x2' swaths, spray-on, spread with LC Foam Applicator, let it haze over and then wipe with MF towel. Boost it in 6 MOS with PBL Diamond Booster. In between use PBL Diamond QD...

Paul, thanks for the time and detailed response. I'm new to this forum, but not to forums in general, and you don't always get a nice response like the one you gave to a first post. It's appreciated. I've lurked for some time, reading reviews, how-to's, etc. and already learned a lot.

Right now this detailer is willing to give this a shot for just the cost of materials to see if it is something he wants to get into. I'll keep the PBL Diamond Coating in mind and pick up some booster and quick detailer if I go down that path.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

usmcpab
04-25-2016, 12:31 PM
As far as ease of application goes, there's a couple that come to mind. Optimum Gloss Coat, McKees 37 paint coating, and as mentioned above pinnacle black label coating. If your detailer is serious about it though, I also suggest the pinnacle black label diamond coating. The ease of application plus you could easily cover 3-4 cars with the 4oz.