PDA

View Full Version : Marring or Holograms? What to do? How to prevent?

uhohitsstevo
04-24-2016, 05:47 PM
Okay so today I used my Griots Garage 6 inch DA Polisher for the first time with a microfiber correcting pad on my uncles black s500. I saw marks kind of like the ones on the picture I saw on Google. How can I avoid this and why do these happen? Are they marring or holograms and wants the difference?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160424/4aa4ca252e1cdc74c568739b3601e3ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Baldone
04-24-2016, 05:58 PM
Did you follow up with a polish on a foam pad?

uhohitsstevo
04-24-2016, 05:59 PM
Did you follow up with a polish on a foam pad?

No I didn't but i plan on it.

zx10r Elle
04-24-2016, 06:07 PM
Mr uhohitsstevo,

Those are holograms, microfiber pads are aggressive, step down to a foam pad to clean them up ( medium to mild cut or even finishing depending on paint softness and your choice of polish ).

Marring is typically deeper and caused by other means, holograms typically come from aggressive polishing or dry polishing and exhibit the usual patterns as you have. Marring is usually more isolated.

Holograms are common with heavier cut pads.

Steve

DaveT435
04-24-2016, 06:09 PM
The ones on that car are holograms. Holograms or marring, both are scratch patterns left by the product/pad combination. Holograms are usually associated with rotary polishers. The polish and foam pad should clean them up.

custmsprty
04-24-2016, 06:13 PM
Post pictures from the work you performed?

uhohitsstevo
04-24-2016, 06:16 PM
Mr uhohitsstevo,

Those are holograms, microfiber pads are aggressive, step down to a foam pad to clean them up ( medium to mild cut or even finishing depending on paint softness and your choice of polish ).

Marring is typically deeper and caused by other means, holograms typically come from aggressive polishing or dry polishing and exhibit the usual patterns as you have. Marring is usually more isolated.

Holograms are common with heavier cut pads.

Steve

What do you mean dry polishing. What can I do to prevent this next time.

custmsprty
04-24-2016, 06:21 PM
What do you mean dry polishing. What can I do to prevent this next time.

Did you instill all those holograms and swirl marks on the hood of the car you posted?

FOCUS.FREAK
04-24-2016, 06:25 PM
You need to follow up with a foam pad and a polish to remove the holograms. The pad you used is really aggressive. Plus is you were polishing without product for a period of time that might have affected it.

What product were you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uhohitsstevo
04-24-2016, 06:25 PM
Did you instill all those holograms and swirl marks on the hood of the car you posted?

No. That's just a pick I found online. The ones I did were way less.

Billy Baldone
04-24-2016, 06:42 PM
A polishing step should clean that up. What polish do young
Have on hand?

custmsprty
04-24-2016, 07:53 PM

I'd like to see the ones you did, can you post some pics?

WRAPT C5Z06
04-24-2016, 10:21 PM
You cannot instill holograms with a DA. True holograms are left from a rotary. DA's leave marring, which can look similar to holograms. In any case, sounds like you marred the paint. Follow up with a finer pad and polish.

cardaddy
04-24-2016, 10:30 PM
I'd like to see the ones you did, can you post some pics?

Yeah ME TOO!

All I can say is your uncle is ONE TRUSTING MAN!

To risk black paint to someone that hasn't done it before (paint correction), and doesn't know marring, the cause, buffer trails, the cause, holograms, the cause, DA-HAZE, the cause, and on a BLACK MERCEDES S500. WOW! :eek: The good part is Mercedes paint is usually leaning toward the hard side. Although... I'm thinking you might not know hard from soft paint either (at this point of your very early buffing experience).

The BAD part is it's a black car, it's a Mercedes, and it's not a cheap one at that. Cheap Mercedes...that's an oxymoron isn't it? ;)

My suggestion would be to get Mike Phillips books. Read them, read them again, then read them the third time and highlight, markup, make notes of everything, EVERY SINGLE THING that is of interest. Use Post-It Notes, sticky pages, anything. Then go and watch the videos that Mike, (and others) have up. Actually, the electronic version of Mike's book(s) have live links throughout, which will be a great reference. :props:

Still need photos of what you did.
I'm thinking it's more likely DA-Haze/micro-marring/tick's/etc.

Did you do your TEST SPOTS?
Did you try more than one pad?
More than one compound?
Go by the best thing ever told to anyone doing paint correction and use the least aggressive method ?

And this one is CRITICAL.....
Did you clean that microfiber pad with air? Lot's of air, and often.
Did you try and do the ENTIRE THING with a SINGLE PAD? :eek:

More importantly.... did you practice on your OWN vehicle first?
I'd never EVER suggest someone that hasn't put in dozens of hours on their own vehicles to go practice on someone else's. Especially if they've never done any paint correction before, and more importantly on a black Mercedes S500. :eek:

Hopefully it's not to the point where you can't fix it. :dunno:
Depending on the speed you used, and compound along the way.... you may have one heck of a long week ahead of ya'. :)