PDA

View Full Version : Best Cleaning Method on Road Trip

mtndriver
04-24-2016, 12:52 PM
I use Blackfire Wet Diamond as my final sealant on my 2016 Dodge SRT. My question is, when I'm on a road trip or otherwise don't have access to water and bucket, etc. what is the best way to clean the car? In the past I would use a self serve car wash and just use plain water from the wand and then use a micro fiber drying cloth and water blade on windows. I have never had a problem with swirls although those cars were usually silver. Now I have Granite Crystal darker color car. I just want to do an occasional clean up from road dust, etc. while traveling.

Could I just use the Blackfire spray detailer after washing off with with water and drying? Or is drying a no no if I haven't actually cleaned the finish but just sprayed off with water? I'm not familiar with the waterless wash as I usually use the traditional soap and bucket when at home. Thanks for suggestions.

CarolinasFinestDetailing
04-24-2016, 01:21 PM
For longer road trips, I usually take a 5 gallon bucket filled with rinseless solution, my big red sponge, a few waffle weave towels, and a handful of crap towels. With this, I can do a rinseless wash and wipe down wheels twice. I usually don't worry about going anymore in depth on a long road trip. Before I leave, I will do a good detail including a deep tire clean and fresh tire shine.

For shorter, a good waterless wash and towels will serve you well. I love Ultima Waterless Wash +. Absolutely amazing product.

TTQ B4U
04-24-2016, 01:30 PM
I use Blackfire Wet Diamond as my final sealant on my 2016 Dodge SRT. My question is, when I'm on a road trip or otherwise don't have access to water and bucket, etc. what is the best way to clean the car? In the past I would use a self serve car wash and just use plain water from the wand and then use a micro fiber drying cloth and water blade on windows. I have never had a problem with swirls although those cars were usually silver. Now I have Granite Crystal darker color car. I just want to do an occasional clean up from road dust, etc. while traveling.

Could I just use the Blackfire spray detailer after washing off with with water and drying? Or is drying a no no if I haven't actually cleaned the finish but just sprayed off with water? I'm not familiar with the waterless wash as I usually use the traditional soap and bucket when at home. Thanks for suggestions.

Take a good simple Rinseless wash option kit with you. I don't do waterless but rather rinseless.

Blasting it off at the DIY is great but not enough to avoid scratches. It's not a difficult and a very safe process. Here's a link to my system/method:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/98601-using-rinseless-waterless-washes-together-2.html#post1345425

Each wash for my car after say a nasty rain storm, etc. would require I bring the following. Sounds like a lot but honestly everything fits into (1-2) 5 gal buckets I have equipped with lids.

If possible I find a DIY wash place to blast off the gunk. I then typically drive back to the hotel and park in a well lit area. This way I have access to water and can have a safer well lit area to work.

Very worse case I at least like to wash off the front end of the vehicle if there are ton of bugs on it.

(6-8) 480gsm MF Rags for the painted surfaces.
(2) cheaper MF Rags for wheels
Wheel brush
(2-3) gal. size bucket for wash
(2) 5 gal buckets w/lid for wet or dirty towels & as a carrying system for everything
Rinseless wash solution. I bring 3 oz or so. 1 for the spray, 1 for the bucket and extra for spray bottle use if needed.
Power Sprayer or 1 gal size garden sprayer for dispensing solution
(1) 16-32oz Spray bottle of RW Solution for wheels and touch ups
(1) large drying towel
(2) smaller drying towels
(2-3) 480gsm MF Buffing towels
Detail Spray of Choice
Tire Dressing & Applicator

mtndriver
04-24-2016, 03:09 PM
That's a lot of gear for a road trip. Seems like a water wand at a car wash kept a safe distance away, wet the car, and then go with a product from there, wipe and go. Great suggestions, just seems cumbersome when I just want to wash off the dust or some road film from driving in the rain.

TTQ B4U
04-24-2016, 03:21 PM
That's a lot of gear for a road trip. Seems like a water wand at a car wash kept a safe distance away, wet the car, and then go with a product from there, wipe and go. Great suggestions, just seems cumbersome when I just want to wash off the dust or some road film from driving in the rain.

Two five gallon buckets is all it is. Everything fits inside those two buckets. I suppose I could condense it to a single bucket if I created travel size products but I take the gear right out of my cabinet instead. I also pack more rags/towels than needed but again, I always have room for it.

I just packed mine up for a road trip that will keep me away in Michigan for 4 nights and 5 days. May or may not use it but I have plenty of room in trunk and it only takes me 1hr to do the entire car from Mud to Pristine including wheels. :)

I get up at 5am, workout/run until 6pm, hydrate myself and then wash from 6-7am, shower and dress and am out the door by 8-8:30am.

I'm crazy like that but with downtime in the evening or early morning, nothing beats being able to go out on business in a perfectly clean car even when I'm on the road. Customers and coworkers appreciate it.