PDA

View Full Version : Prep for Detailing

Catman
10-12-2007, 02:12 PM
What are the recommendations for prepping before detailing. I have seen some advice to remove trim / wipers / lights and tape off everything else. Is this necessary? I have recently purchased the UDM / Menzerna kit and hope to get started this weekend on the BMW. What about cars with black (textured) plastic trim on bumpers ...will the buffing pads / polish affect the texture ...or will it get in the texture and look like wax buildup.

thanks,

>^..^<

trhland
10-12-2007, 02:25 PM
all Plastic You Have To Dress With A Silicone Dressing Or Tape Of With 3m Green Or Blue Painters Tape.very Impotant. Now If You Dont Plan On Hiting The Trim With The Buffer Then You Can Get Away With Just Dressing Them. And As Far As The Wipers Throw A Towel Over Them.

Truls
10-12-2007, 03:10 PM
For me it depends on the job im doing, if its compounding, polishing, sealing and wax i remove the plastics that are easy to remove, the other stuff i just tape..

SPiN
10-12-2007, 03:13 PM
dont remove the headlights of the BMW. those things are HARD to get to align perfectlly after

ScottB
10-13-2007, 07:35 AM
most detailers will take some time to tape (painters tape) off a car after washing and claying. Taking all emblems and other items off car would be quite time consuming and the invoice would be huge to recoup time and effort, so I would warn to stay away as possible.

D
10-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Just tape the stuff up.

richy
10-13-2007, 11:41 AM
the fewer things you remove..the fewer things that get broken!! just tape things off and I lay newspaper over the windshield if i am polishing with the rotary. the most important prep of all however has been missed..i list the steps:
1) loud tunes
2) good cigar (or 2)
3) beverages of your choice

Now..have fun!!