PDA

View Full Version : Best way to make this look better

MadMax
04-23-2016, 02:11 PM
The clear coat on this trim piece is coming off, thought about removing the entire piece but that might open up a bunch of other problems. Does anyone have any experience with something like this?
Also there is some damage / corrosion on my wheels, guessing from the old weights but who knows. Any ideas on making that look better?

JimmyH5
04-23-2016, 03:28 PM
MadMax... that looks like bad stuff; if you really wanted to do your best w/o replacing, I'd wet-sand the trim with 800/1000 grit - tapering edges of missing clear - ( tape off ) surrounding paint/truck... and can either paint black again or clear ( good clear I've gotten from autotouchup.com ); you can try polishing the corrosion on the rim to smooth it out and touch up with silver/aluminum paint; that's how I'd do it to not replace. If the trim gets greyish looking after wet-sanding, I'd go gloss black... have used Rustoleum acrylic auto black on metal trim but not plastic... may need an adhesion promoter for plastic - Duplicolor is good.

AGOatemywallet
04-23-2016, 04:31 PM
For $50-80 just replace the door moldings

The wheel needs professional re-finishing

MadMax
04-23-2016, 04:52 PM
Ya first thought was to paint the entire trim piece, never thought to wet sand it first. As long as I did both pieces it wouldn't be a huge deal if the color was off a bit. Thanks

AGOatemywallet
04-23-2016, 08:41 PM
Ya first thought was to paint the entire trim piece, never thought to wet sand it first. As long as I did both pieces it wouldn't be a huge deal if the color was off a bit. Thanks

Repeat....buy new trim!

If you are planning on prepping and painting those trim pieces while they are still on the vehicle; it is not going to turn out well.