PDA

View Full Version : Air Polisher VS Rotary Polisher

asap2stacks
04-23-2016, 07:43 AM
What's the difference between the two and is it good to have both on hand? I currently have a Porter Cable DA polisher but I need somthing more stronger for taking out scratches and compounding vehicles.

Mike Phillips
04-23-2016, 11:35 AM
One is run by compressed air and the other by electricity.

Do you have a huge powerful air compressor with a 60 galllon air tank or larger?

:)

asap2stacks
04-23-2016, 11:21 PM
No

asap2stacks
04-23-2016, 11:22 PM
No I don't is that what I would need :(

asap2stacks
04-23-2016, 11:23 PM
I want something small with like a 2 or 3 inch backing plate what would you suggest for me bud?

haris300
04-23-2016, 11:44 PM
The Flex PE8 Kompakt rotary polisher is a good tool for spot correction. It can be used with 3 inch, 2 inch, and even a 1 inch backing plate with corresponding pads. Get some finishing pads to eliminate any rotary holograms and you're set.

asap2stacks
04-24-2016, 09:28 PM
Yea but can you do a whole vehicle with this rotary buffer that's max backing plate is only 3in ?

asap2stacks
04-25-2016, 02:05 AM
?

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-25-2016, 02:55 AM
I currently have a Porter Cable DA polisher but I need somthing more stronger for taking out scratches and compounding vehicles. I want something small with like a 2 or 3 inch backing plate what would you suggest for me.

The Flex PE8 Kompakt rotary polisher is a good tool for spot correction. It can be used with 3 inch, 2 inch, and even a 1 inch backing plate with corresponding pads. Get some finishing pads to eliminate any rotary holograms and you're set.

Yea but can you do a whole vehicle with this rotary buffer that's max backing plate is only 3in ?

You have a PC DA for polishing paint correct? You asked for something smaller for spot repair and was followed up by Harris with the FLEX PE8.

Now asking about polishing paint with a 3" polisher. You have the DA for that.

?

Aaryn NZ
04-25-2016, 02:56 AM
I want something small with like a 2 or 3 inch backing plate what would you suggest for me bud?

. . . . fair question . . . .

:iagree: Spot on answer in my opinion. :props:

Huh??? I'm confused. :dunno:

asap2stacks
04-25-2016, 06:59 AM
I'm asking if I can use the flex to correct my whole hood i'm asking that because it's such a small rotary yes I know I asked about for smaller spots but I'm wondering if they can also do larger

LSNAutoDetailing
04-25-2016, 07:34 AM
Short answer, you can... Nothing and no one is going to stop you, except you'll be doing it at the risk of burning your clear coat.

FLEX PE8 Kompakt Rotary Polisher, motorcycle polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-pe8-compact-rotary-polisher.html)
- The FLEX PE8 Kompakt Rotary Polisher is a purpose-built polisher designed specifically for small, intricate body panels.
- Designed for use with pads ranging from 1 to 3 inches in diameter.

Your asking if you can use a PBM (Purpose Built Machine) to do something other than it's intended design. The problem lies in the fact that it's a direct drive rotary style tool which is not dual action. The second problem is the heads are only designed for 1 to 3" pads, the smaller the pad, the more heat you will generate.

If you have a DA (PC 7424) that is what you will use for the majority of the vehicle. Preferably 5.5" Pads with a 5" backing plate. Switch to a 3" backing plate and use 4" pads for the tight areas. I have a three DA's, GG15 and PC's, and one of the PC's has a 3" backing plate for the smaller tight spots, I use the GG G15 on the majority of the vehicle.

My suggestion is to pick up Mike Phillips book "Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine". He dedicates several sections (chapters) to DA, comparing various DA's, backing plates etc... to Rotary with various pad combinations and how to use them all. Mike Phillips Detailing Books 3 Pack (http://www.autogeek.net/mp-book-3pack.html)

Whitewater25
04-25-2016, 01:42 PM
Don't the air polishers run at a higher rpm?

AGOatemywallet
04-25-2016, 04:18 PM
The PE8 gets very hot when operated with 5.3" and 5.5" pads.

I do not think it is advisable to use it with pads larger than 4" for an extended period of time.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
04-26-2016, 12:13 AM
Don't the air polishers run at a higher rpm?

Yes the air tools will run faster than electric machines.

However compounds and polishes should not be run above 2000 rpm. Anything above that is useless for polishing paint.