PDA

View Full Version : What polish to use before Powerlock?

Pages : [1] 2

AZpolisher15
04-22-2016, 11:49 PM
Im looking for a polish to use with my new GG6 in preparation for an application of Menzerna Powerlock. I was going to use the Menz 3500 (old 4000) that I recently purchased, but the more I read, the more I'm thinking I should maybe use something a little more "new-guy friendly". I'm also wondering if I should stick to something that is SMAT rather than diminishing?

Any recommendations for me? I'd like to try something other than UP (I used UP last fall and didn't like the way that it darkened my paint). I'm really anxious to get the Powerlock applied but I'd really like to do some light swirl removal first. I'm not looking for total/perfect correction. Just want to clean it up for the Powerlock. Thanks much!

(i also bought car pro eraser for polish removal before the PL if I need it)

Billy Baldone
04-23-2016, 02:55 AM
You will be fine with 3500.HD polish is also a top notch polish too. Just use an Erase like product before you apply the PowerLock.

BadgerRivFan
04-23-2016, 05:12 AM
The Griots Garage BOSS Creams are really nice if you want to try something different.

BOSS Correcting Cream or BOSS Perfecting Cream would likely meet your needs.

Reasonably priced, long working time, pleasant smell, and extremely user friendly all add up to some great products. Oh and the results are great too!

Eldorado2k
04-23-2016, 05:44 AM
My choice would be M205. It's the most user friendly polish I've ever used..
If you'd like a bit more cut or cleaning ability, Meguiars Ultimate Compound shouldn't be overlooked, not to mention it's also extremely easy to use.

It did the opposite of "darkening" when I used it on this white paint. You can see how much cleaner and brighter it left the bottom right section after just 1 quik application with a DA.

Megs D300 also works great, not only on microfiber pads, but on foam pads as well. Very user friendly stuff and virtually zero dust.

goldenlight
04-23-2016, 06:13 AM
A good Finishing Polish or any of the polishes mentioned. Its all gonna come down to preference :-)

Also don't forget to clean your pad often when polishing. I like "Scotch-Brite Pot Pan and Dish Brush." I believe its about $3 at your local big box store.

ski2
04-23-2016, 07:38 AM
HD Polish+ is a great product for beginners--very user friendly--long working time, little to no dust, removes easily, doesn't leave any oils behind, a little goes a long way and just an ONR wipe down is all you need before applying your LSP.

WRAPT C5Z06
04-23-2016, 07:41 AM
My choice would be M205. It's the most user friendly polish I've ever used..
If you'd like a bit more cut or cleaning ability, Meguiars Ultimate Compound shouldn't be overlooked, not to mention it's also extremely easy to use.

It did the opposite of "darkening" when I used it on this white paint. You can see how much cleaner and brighter it left the bottom right section after just 1 quik application with a DA.

Megs D300 also works great, not only on microfiber pads, but on foam pads as well. Very user friendly stuff and virtually zero dust.
Try using M205 on soft black paint. If you're not Kevin Brown or another highly skilled user, it won't finish very well. On harder paint, it will finish better.

Zubair
04-23-2016, 07:51 AM
SF4000 is user friendly just use what you have, doing a test spot for yourself is real life experience and better than anything you read on the internet.

Eldorado2k
04-23-2016, 09:18 AM
Try using M205 on soft black paint. If you're not Kevin Brown or another highly skilled user, it won't finish very well. On harder paint, it will finish better.

Oh yea, that reminds me of the Kia.. That's the only paint that failed to finish down with M205. Essence messed it up as well. I was under the impression it's hard paint, based on Zubairs theory.
All I know is I kinda hate the fact that I can't seem to take a polisher to it without scratching it up. Super lame.

Setec Astronomy
04-23-2016, 09:20 AM
SF4000 is user friendly just use what you have, doing a test spot for yourself is real life experience and better than anything you read on the internet.

Agree. You've got a good polish already, just get 'er done!

cleanmycorolla
04-23-2016, 09:57 AM

Oh yea, that reminds me of the Kia.. That's the only paint that failed to finish down with M205. Essence messed it up as well. I was under the impression it's hard paint, based on Zubairs theory.
All I know is I kinda hate the fact that I can't seem to take a polisher to it without scratching it up. Super lame.

m205 plays funny with all the Toyots paint in our house, works just about perfect on every other car i use it on though.

AZpolisher15
04-23-2016, 01:58 PM
Wow- thanks to all of you for the tips/suggestions. The HD polish is on my short list. I guess now I'm leaning toward trying out what I have (Menz 3500). You're right- I do have a good polish in my hands. I guess I should give it a go and at least try to see if I can "make it work"! I'll try to document it, get some pics, and get up a review.

Yeah, my Toyota "pyrite mica" paint is really sensitive as far as color changing goes with LSP's. I usually like the carnuba look on most vehicles, but on my paint I much prefer the candy/glossy sealant pop. The UP, Collinites, Megs Carnuba plus and others really darken it and it draws your eyes to all the black plastic trim, which I don't like. With a candy gloss, the trim doesn't stand out as much (DG111 now and it looks great).

Looking forward to shaping it up a bit. Thanks again for your insight.

atgonzales
04-23-2016, 03:30 PM
Just did my mine in Powerlock47389

dlc95
04-23-2016, 03:38 PM
Wow- thanks to all of you for the tips/suggestions. The HD polish is on my short list. I guess now I'm leaning toward trying out what I have (Menz 3500). You're right- I do have a good polish in my hands. I guess I should give it a go and at least try to see if I can "make it work"! I'll try to document it, get some pics, and get up a review.

Yeah, my Toyota "pyrite mica" paint is really sensitive as far as color changing goes with LSP's. I usually like the carnuba look on most vehicles, but on my paint I much prefer the candy/glossy sealant pop. The UP, Collinites, Megs Carnuba plus and others really darken it and it draws your eyes to all the black plastic trim, which I don't like. With a candy gloss, the trim doesn't stand out as much (DG111 now and it looks great).

Looking forward to shaping it up a bit. Thanks again for your insight.

You have a GREAT polish. Just make sure to get all the polishing residue off before applying dg111. Or use 101 before hand.

I was wondering why I was getting better performance from 101 on cars that I didn't ipa wipe before 111 application. Specifically cars I final polished with SF4000. 111 has no significant cleaning ability, at least not enough to power through what Menzerna polishes leave behind. 101 does though.

AZpolisher15
04-23-2016, 06:45 PM
^^ I appreciate the heads up. While I'm really liking the DG 111, I'm gonna give the Powerlock a try. Hard to imagine I'll like it better than the 111, because the 111 impressed me that much. So, I don't need to do any chemical cleaning after the Menz polish do I (before the PL)? I thought that brand compatibility might eliminate that step?