PDA

View Full Version : Any Bowlers here?

Pages : [1] 2

Mike T
10-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Recently my wife and I have gotten more, and more into bowling. We picked up a couple of Resin balls. I myself and still trying to learn proper form. I rely on force, and momentum to get that ball down the lane and clearing the pins. Any who, I was wonder if anyone had any tips and ball care suggestions. The gentleman at the pro shop said we could use car wax to shine up the balls. Immediately Souveran came to mind :D
So last night I slapped a coat on both balls. I was then reading that the resin creates a tacky effect on the balls. Would applying the wax make the balls virtually tactless?

J&L Detailing
10-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Recently my wife and I have gotten more, and more into bowling. We picked up a couple of Resin balls. I myself and still trying to learn proper form. I rely on force, and momentum to get that ball down the lane and clearing the pins. Any who, I was wonder if anyone had any tips and ball care suggestions. The gentleman at the pro shop said we could use car wax to shine up the balls. Immediately Souveran came to mind :D
So last night I slapped a coat on both balls. I was then reading that the resin creates a tacky effect on the balls. Would applying the wax make the balls virtually tactless?

I am a bowler, i never use waxes on my bowling balls. i usually go to the pr shop and have them cleaned or i use IPA to clean them. With resin/particle balls, do not rely on force, if the ball is drilled right and the oil is not borken down on the lane. the release is the key and the ammount of revs yuo get, remember the faster tyou throw the less time it has to grab the lane and hook.

Mike T
10-12-2007, 09:02 AM
I hear ya. We have yet to bowl with the resin balls. We just picked them up last night. Up until now we've just been using the alley balls. So now my goal is not to have to rely on force and just let the ball do the work. My form and timing is what needs work.

P1et
10-12-2007, 11:21 AM
No, but I bet there are a lot of ballers here!

trhland
10-12-2007, 11:30 AM
i used to bowl and i wouldnt wax the ball do to it wont curve right . just wipe it with a microfiber towel.

Ong~Bak
10-12-2007, 12:02 PM

I use Storm polishes as all my equipment is Storm, love pete Weber and Liz Johnson.
Brunswick is good also, look into a ball spinner they work great!
You can also take the balls to a pro shop and clean resurface them.
I also boil every few weeks to get all the oil out, depends on how
serious you are about bowling, you can pick up any good polish
at a pro shop or just use the car wax and have some fun...

:cheers:

67Customs
10-12-2007, 12:05 PM
I just hurl the ball down the middle as fast as I can and hope it knocks them all down.:D

My highest score so far is only a 180 though.:righton:

Mike T
10-12-2007, 12:14 PM
I use Storm polishes as all my equipment is Storm, love pete Weber and Liz Johnson.
Brunswick is good also, look into a ball spinner they work great!
You can also take the balls to a pro shop and clean resurface them.
I also boil every few weeks to get all the oil out, depends on how
serious you are about bowling, you can pick up any good polish
at a pro shop or just use the car wax and have some fun...

I've been trying to do some research online. Reading up on cleaning and such. One of the reasons for cleaning is to remove oils. Wouldn't the oils from the wax I applied hinder the balls ability to be tacky down the lane?
I purchased the Columbia Scout Reactive and my wife got the Ebonite Tornado.

budman3
10-12-2007, 12:27 PM
Curve? Form? Only one ball??? What type of bowling are you doing?! 10 pin hmm...

There aren't many 10 pin places around here ... just candle pin :)

AUdakota
10-12-2007, 02:17 PM
man its hard to bite my tongue and not let a ball care joke slip on this one........

Mike T
10-12-2007, 03:12 PM
I figured this thread would stir up some knowledge as well as bring about a laugh for those whose mind wonder.

Ong~Bak
10-12-2007, 05:12 PM
I've been trying to do some research online. Reading up on cleaning and such. One of the reasons for cleaning is to remove oils. Wouldn't the oils from the wax I applied hinder the balls ability to be tacky down the lane?
I purchased the Columbia Scout Reactive and my wife got the Ebonite Tornado.

yes, the wax will give you non consistent shots and you will be fighting
the lanes all night long wondering why it is not working, the oil from
the lanes will soak into the ball no matter how much you clean it,
I always boil mine and you can watch the oil come right out I usually
do this after 15-20 games
You will be able to polish by hand and keep the ball the same, after
several games you will notice a track around the ball ,I always have mine
resurfaced at this point.
Whitch one did you get, there is like 7 diff scouts.

ryandamartini
10-12-2007, 06:18 PM
man its hard to bite my tongue and not let a ball care joke slip on this one........

Not for me :D

So do you shine your balls or polish them? Ive heard waxing them creates the ultimate glossIm the MAN

I have an odd yet effective bowling form. I bowl with my release going sideways and hurl it down the lane. With the right form, I usually rack up 180 on a good day on average.

Mike T
10-12-2007, 06:22 PM
yes, the wax will give you non consistent shots and you will be fighting
the lanes all night long wondering why it is not working, the oil from
the lanes will soak into the ball no matter how much you clean it,
I always boil mine and you can watch the oil come right out I usually
do this after 15-20 games
You will be able to polish by hand and keep the ball the same, after

several games you will notice a track around the ball ,I always have mine
resurfaced at this point.
Whitch one did you get, there is like 7 diff scouts.

We bought some ball cleaner that the owner suggested we use after we are finished playing. Its supposed to clean and restore the tackiness of the resin. The owner is hall of famer Tommy Hudson. Really nice guy. If I go ahead and apply this cleaner now, will it remove the wax? I regret now applying it.
The scout is the Reactive series, Red Pearl/black.

Ong~Bak
10-12-2007, 09:47 PM
We bought some ball cleaner that the owner suggested we use after we are finished playing. Its supposed to clean and restore the tackiness of the resin. The owner is hall of famer Tommy Hudson. Really nice guy. If I go ahead and apply this cleaner now, will it remove the wax? I regret now applying it.
The scout is the Reactive series, Red Pearl/black.

yes it will clean it off and restore it to original finish
You are in good company with Tommy Hudson
follow his recomendations and you will do fine