PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if I'm polishing correctly. Questions

captainsquirts
04-22-2016, 08:21 AM
This is my first time polishing and I'm polishing my 2006 Lancer Evolution. I read that it has single stage paint. Anywho I am using a DA polisher, hd adapt, and orage buff and shine pads. I'm applying 4 dime/or 6 pea sized portions on my orange foam pad and doing about 4 passes at 6k rpm. It probably took me about 6-7 sections to do the whole hood. When I get to the part where I wipe the haze off I'm having a hard time. Sometimes I have to really push down(kinda hard) on some spots to remove the haze.

So my main question is... Is hazing supposed to be hard to remove?
2) Am I doing to much per section?
3) Am I using the right amount of polish?
4) Is 6k rpm to high?
5) 4 passes seem like a good amount to do for each section?
6) And do you wipe off after each section or do you leave the haze on for a specific amount of time?

This is my first time so it's all a learning experience.
I do have white pads so when I try another panel on the vehicle I'm going to try that out. I did try it on the hood initially but I don't think it removed all the swirls but again I have so many small rock chip marks so when I saw those, maybe I thought the pad didn't do well(but any pad cant do anything against rock indentations..). So I'll have to give the white pads another try.

04accord
04-22-2016, 08:25 AM
are you saying the polish residue is hard to wipe off? Try misting it with quick detailer and then wiping if thats the case.

MikeC78
04-22-2016, 08:37 AM
Adapt shouldn't be hard to wipe off. Try using less product.

GSKR
04-22-2016, 08:44 AM
Can be somewhat hard to remove if you work the product to extreme.eraser on a microfiber will help out.using that adapt on a rotary is a pain,just tilting the machine a little it leaves dry marks almost like a burn mark appearance.when that happens you have to rub it out with the same product such as adapt.Theres a little learning curve with this product but is one of those products you don't mind being a little patient cause it's good.

captainsquirts
04-22-2016, 08:45 AM
How should the haze look where I'm polishing? To me it sometimes seems like I'm running out of product and wherever I'm polishing it looks like it doesn't have that hazy swirl polishing look left. Kinda like there is no compound on the surface when I'm going over it.

captainsquirts
04-22-2016, 08:49 AM
,just tilting the machine a little it leaves dry marks almost like a burn mark appearance.

My hood has a lot of drips and raises in it. I def have to tilt the rotor to hit some of those marks. But yea I has faith in the product. Just trying to figure everything out.

GSKR
04-22-2016, 09:11 AM
Working on single stage paint is hard enough.I would use a paint cleaner and call it the day.If you want to continue using adapt have a damp towel by your side.use less product and cut your speed down alittle on the da and keep the pads clean.you probably could of used speed on that paint.If the paint has metallic in it don't go crazy with product and heat,you will remove some metallic and it will look blotchy as you are removing metallic from single stage paint and end up with tiger stripes.

GSKR
04-22-2016, 09:15 AM
Try to pre clean the panel by hand with adapt then go to polishing with da.what other products do you have.

captainsquirts
04-22-2016, 09:19 AM
Try to pre clean the panel by hand with adapt then go to polishing with da.what other products do you have.

I have hd speed and poxy. I washed/clayed the hood before I started the polish.

Jaretr1
04-22-2016, 09:28 AM
You definitely want to wipe off any polish or compound as soon as you finish the section. Unless there is something specific about the product that says otherwise, wipe off right away.

If you are having trouble wiping off a compound or polish (some of them are difficult, but most are easy) try misting with some quick detailer.

GSKR
04-22-2016, 09:46 AM
Stick with the HD speed make your life easier.eraser cures all those promblems you are having.

captainsquirts
04-22-2016, 09:51 AM
Stick with the HD speed make your life easier.eraser cures all those promblems you are having.

My vehicle has never had defects removed so there are a lot of swirls marks and some deep ones. But again I haven't tried speed yet so I'll prob try it on a different panel and see how it goes.

Also does anyone know if 6k is to high or should I stick around 5krpm and how many passes? Also should I prime the foam pad first or should I just keep sticking to like 5 pea sized product?