PDA

View Full Version : Wheel cleaner question...

Pages : [1] 2

dk2011gbgt
04-19-2016, 10:51 PM
Hi,
I've been using Adams deep wheel cleaner for a while now and love the way it works. This is probably a dumb question for you pros. But, should I be using it every time I wash my car? I wash weekly so I wanted to make sure it's not a once a month kinda thing and I should be using an APC as maintenance in between uses of wheel cleaner.
Thanks,
Demetrios

uhohitsstevo
04-19-2016, 10:53 PM
Hi,
I've been using Adams deep wheel cleaner for a while now and love the way it works. This is probably a dumb question for you pros. But, should I be using it every time I wash my car? I wash weekly so I wanted to make sure it's not a once a month kinda thing and I should be using an APC as maintenance in between uses of wheel cleaner.
Thanks,
Demetrios

I use a wheel cleaner every wash. I wash once per week as well. I used a heavy duty cleaner for a month and everything was fine. The wheel cleaner is safe. If you are worried you can dilute maybe 75% WC and 25% Water.

uhohitsstevo
04-19-2016, 10:56 PM
I wouldn't recommend using a heavy duty wheel specific cleaner for the whole time but I would recommend a wheel cleaner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robsresto
04-19-2016, 11:38 PM
You don't use dawn concentrate to wash your hair every day do you? No it needs a little oil like your car.Get the wheels, and whole car while you're at it, a deep clean. I use a 2 gallon pump weed sprayer to clean wheels inside and out (or remove wheels). Use a paint sealant. then apply a wax to painted surfaces. This extra work saves u time bc u won't have to " wash " it for a LONG time. Just pressure wash and dry with a chamois done! I haven't used soap on my car in over a year.

uhohitsstevo
04-19-2016, 11:43 PM
You don't use dawn concentrate to wash your hair every day do you? No it needs a little oil like your car.Get the wheels, and whole car while you're at it, a deep clean. I use a 2 gallon pump weed sprayer to clean wheels inside and out (or remove wheels). Use a paint sealant. then apply a wax to painted surfaces. This extra work saves u time bc u won't have to " wash " it for a LONG time. Just pressure wash and dry with a chamois done! I haven't used soap on my car in over a year.

This doesn't make much sense to me the analogy and the other parts, how can you not use soap? Do you not clean the car. The only thing I know of that can make this kind of thing happen is a ceramic coating. If you guys pressure was and then dry your car. All the dirt and debris left over will introduce massive swirling and scratching.

Robsresto
04-19-2016, 11:57 PM
The better the conditioning after wash the long your wax will last. Hence less need to deep clean often. A good pressure wash will remove loose dirt. A chamois will collect the rest keeping it off the paint and on the rag. Rinse the chamios a couple times during drying so u don't track dirt. As long as the water is beading and not sheathing the wax is doing it's job n no need for soap.

AutowerxDetailing
04-20-2016, 12:26 AM
Use a paint sealant. then apply a wax to painted surfaces. This extra work saves u time bc u won't have to " wash " it for a LONG time. Just pressure wash and dry with a chamois done! I haven't used soap on my car in over a year.

This is terrible advice. The main purpose of car wash shampoo is to provide lubrication between a wash media (mitt, sponge, or towel) and the surfaces you are washing as well as to help emulsify and encapsulate particles of oil and dirt. Without surfactant aided encapsulation from a car wash shampoo the particles of dirt and grit are dragged across the surface causing excessive damage to the paintwork.

GSKR
04-20-2016, 06:04 AM
I agree get some mckees coating and coat the wheels.washing a car with soap every week drys out trim and rubber materials if anything just rinse it off if you can.

Dmb5450
04-20-2016, 06:09 AM
The better the conditioning after wash the long your wax will last. Hence less need to deep clean often. A good pressure wash will remove loose dirt. A chamois will collect the rest keeping it off the paint and on the rag. Rinse the chamios a couple times during drying so u don't track dirt. As long as the water is beading and not sheathing the wax is doing it's job n no need for soap.

I hope you mean soap as is a sudsy car wash soap, and not as in no need for a rinseless or waterless. Please tell me you aren't just using a pressure washer then wiping with a towel.

GSKR
04-20-2016, 06:14 AM
This is terrible advice. The main purpose of car wash shampoo is to provide lubrication between a wash media (mitt, sponge, or towel) and the surfaces you are washing as well as to help emulsify and encapsulate particles of oil and dirt. Without surfactant aided encapsulation from a car wash shampoo the particles of dirt and grit are dragged across the surface causing excessive damage to the paintwork.Not so you can wash your car without soap using other than soap and inflict no harm.soap repeadly takes a toll on your car trim pieces after a while and eats up wiper blades.I bought a new black e class 6 months ago and only had to use soap once or twice.There is a product that is not sold here on ag.This product comes in a aerosol spray and rinse no soap in this product.

uhohitsstevo
04-20-2016, 10:08 AM
Soap does not take a toll if you do it correctly that's why they make PH BALANCED soap and that's why they recommended using it for EVERY wash. I really don't understand how someone could want to not use soap on a black car. You must be using a waterless wash or rinse less wash or something I have a hard time believing you pressure wash your car and just dry it right from there. You are gonna cause more damage then what this "Soap" is doing. And wiper blades? Okay so if soap eats wiper blades every six months that's how often you should replace them anyway so what's the matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lane5515
04-20-2016, 10:59 AM

:doh:

Be careful what you listen to on the forums and if you don't know what you're talking about please don't give advice to others.

dk2011gbgt
04-20-2016, 01:00 PM
No worries, even though I don't post much, I've learned a lot reading on here so I've got my proper wash/detailing routine down.

I was just thinking that I may be using the full strength wheel cleaner too often and possibly either harming my wheels in the long run or simply wasting it with unnecessary use. I know Adams says it's safe, just wanted to see what everyone on here thought. I think I'll start using a diluted spray bottle of wheel cleaner in between washes and then make up a full strength spray bottle to use once a month.

Coopers ST
04-20-2016, 02:43 PM
You can use it every wash. EnAdams stuff can be diluted 1:1 also.

Riff
04-20-2016, 02:48 PM
I just use a separate bucket with car wash soap for wheels.

I don't really need anything stronger than that.