PDA

View Full Version : Loud Craftsman Riding Mower

NoleFan
04-19-2016, 01:26 PM
Ok guys and gals,

Another off topic question:

My 2008 Craftsman 17.5hp riding mower is noticeably louder (to me) than when new.

I understand that the blades make a good bit of the noise, but with them off the mower just seems a lot louder than it used to be.

I wear ear muffs, but just looking out for the neighbors.

I can get a new replacement muffler for around $30, but should that even help? Is the motor just getting louder internally with age? :surrender:

mbkite
04-19-2016, 03:02 PM
Change oil and muffler adjust valves new spark plug and replace air filter. Check the blades replace if bent
Oil up all the bearings and wax it up should be good to go.

shadwell
04-19-2016, 06:07 PM
No an engine will not get louder per se (assuming it has correct lubricant type and quantity, is maintained; plugs, is fuelling correctly, incl air filtration, and has no iminent moving parts failure)...
It is most likely the exhaust has corroded interally and either packing f baffles have broken down.....
So as mentioned, ensure all maintenance aspects are correct and replace likely defective exhaust elements..

oldmodman
04-19-2016, 09:11 PM
Is the engine a Briggs?

If so the muffler is a stamped steel part that is known for rusting out. I have replaced the muffler on my roto-tiller before. But I wasn't that concerned about the noise. It was the rusted out spark arrestor that had me worried. So i ordered another on off Amazon for right around 12 bucks, but that was for a 2.5hp engine.

Inspecting and Changing The Muffler (http://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en/support/faqs/inspecting-and-changing-the-muffler)

david79z28
04-19-2016, 09:36 PM
Sounds like we have the same mower. On mine the pipe that goes into the muffler vibrates loose. I've welded it a few too many times now and it's worse than ever. The metal is very thin.

Fortunately my nearest neighbor is at least 600 get away. So I still mow with it.

BillE
04-20-2016, 07:10 AM
Take a look here... lawnmowerforum.com . A boat load of all sorts of mower info.

Bill

NoleFan
04-20-2016, 07:54 AM
Thanks guys, I will pull the muffler off and give it a look. I have done all other maintenance but could probably use a new air filter and adjust the valves.