PDA

View Full Version : Steam cleaning

csmits13
04-18-2016, 09:55 PM
I am starting a mobile detailing business am looking at a steam cleaner as a way to 1. Get a better clean, and 2. To reduce product reorder costs. What I can't seem to figure out though is which cleaning products (if any) a steamer would actually replace. Also, which steamers would you recommend at about the $1000 mark? (I have viewed the Duspray Tosca, but it has received mixed reviews.) Note: whether or not it makes a difference, my business will not be super high volume.

AGOatemywallet
04-18-2016, 11:21 PM
Meguiars APC by the gallon is so inexpensive, that it shouldn't even be an afterthought.

You are asking about saving money, you are just starting out & say your business will NOT be high volume...but your budget for a steamer is a Grand $!

I picked up a refurb Mytee Firebird for $249 and love it.

Save your Money, until you get going.

Steam does not replace APC, but it can boost the cleaning power of APC and other cleaners like Folex etc.

It is great for breaking up anything that has an oily base, like a filthy steering wheel, vinyl or leather seats, carpet stains in the foot wells, etc.

Dan Tran
04-19-2016, 05:11 AM
Meguiars APC by the gallon is so inexpensive, that it shouldn't even be an afterthought.

You are asking about saving money, you are just starting out & say your business will NOT be high volume...but your budget for a steamer is a Grand $!

Steam does not replace APC, but it can boost the cleaning power of APC and other cleaners like Folex etc.

It is great for breaking up anything that has an oily base, like a filthy steering wheel, vinyl or leather seats, carpet stains in the foot wells, etc.

I would actually agree here. Why you ask?

As I started my business late last year I was trying to figure out how to keep cost down. I did my research on here and decided to buy an inexpensive (EFFECTIVE) steamer for what it's worth.

This was my way of dipping my fingers into a BIT of everything.

Matter of fact, steam can take you far on one hand. On the other like mentioned, it does not replace APC as I had learned fast (IMO). Again, it DOES enhance the experience of cleaning though.

As we all build up our Arsenal, everything we buy as a single item is not going to be a cure all.

From my short journey as a mobile detailer up-to-date, there are FEW areas where I wish I bought more expensive items to start out with (QUALITY) but when it came down to the steam cleaner, I got what works for most people here (BANG FOR THE BUCK) and either saved or used the extra cash and maximized in other areas (NO NEED TO GO CRAZY!)

Again as mentioned above, your starting out, have fun with the process!

I hope this helps in a way or two.

Happy detailing!

GSKR
04-19-2016, 05:32 AM

It is great for breaking up anything that has an oily base, like a filthy steering wheel, vinyl or leather seats, carpet stains in the foot wells, etc.I agree

GSKR
04-19-2016, 05:35 AM
I bought a used thermax extractor machine needed a motor for 200.00 .

Mike Phillips
04-20-2016, 11:01 AM
I am starting a mobile detailing business am looking at a steam cleaner as a way to

1. Get a better clean, and

2. To reduce product reorder costs.

What I can't seem to figure out though is which cleaning products (if any) a steamer would actually replace.

Typically a steam cleaner will replace cleaners. Here's some examples.

All purpose cleaners
Upholstery cleaners
Vinyle and leather cleaners

Also, which steamers would you recommend at about the $1000 mark? (I have viewed the Dupray Tosca, but it has received mixed reviews.)

Note: whether or not it makes a difference, my business will not be super high volume.

I"m going to post my before and after pictures today from using the Dupray Hill Injection Steam Cleaner to clean the disgusting interior on the Barn Find projects. And I mean the white vinyl interior was GROSS. It was not only dirty with ground in grime but it had what I can only describe as ORANGE MOLD on the inside.

The Dupray decimated the dirt and the mold.

Here's the link to this project...

How to restore a Barn Find! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-mike-phillips-your-detailing-questions/100420-how-restore-barn-find.html)

I used the $2300.00 version because that's what we currently have in the garage. We're bringing in the Dupray ONE Plus Steam Cleaner because to me it's the best bang for your buck. You get all the benefits and features of the $2300.00 Hill Injection unit except the stainless steel shell body. So simply don't hold the Dupray ONE Plus Steam Cleaner over your had and body slam it to the ground and you're good to go.

Dupray ONE Plus Steam Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/dupray-one-plus-steam-cleaner.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3068/dupray_PLUS_One_001.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3068/dupray_PLUS_One_002.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/3068/dupray_PLUS_One_003.jpg

Quality doesn't cost money... it makes money...

:)