PDA

View Full Version : DA Upgrade Questions

Shane88
04-18-2016, 02:01 AM
I have been detailing cars as a hobby/side gig for about 1-2 years now using the Griots 6" DA. I feel like it’s time to finally break out of the shell, to invest in a higher end DA to get the job done. The Griots 6" has served me well, but I am looking into the Flex, Griots Boss, and Rupes polishers. There are so many different types of Rupes, Griots Boss, and Flex polishers on the market. The questions I have are listed below, before I make the purchase.

Which brand is "better" or easier switch from the Griots 6"?
Will the existing foam/microfiber velcro pads that I have work, or do I have to use the the manufacturers pads? (Currently own ton of 3" 4" 5" 5.5" velcro pads from various companies)
I need something smooth compared to the Griots 6", which brand?
Any "mods" or attachments that should be bought that would make life easier?
What do you guys personally use?

VISITOR
04-18-2016, 03:09 AM
since you already have the GG6, you can use that with 3"- 4" pads and get the G21 (packs plenty of power) for the larger panels (GG6 + G21 = :dblthumb2:). you can also purchase the 5" BOSS backing plate (G21 also comes with washers if desire to use them) with it and use the 5.5" pads as well which won't have any negative effects...

Griot's Garage BOSS Long-Throw Orbital Polisher System (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-boss-long-throw-orbital-polisher-system.html)

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/autogeek/griots-garage-boss-g21-long-throw-orbital-polisher-1.gif
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/autogeek/griots-garage-boss-5-inch-backing-plate-1.gif

Eldorado2k
04-18-2016, 04:54 AM
Which brand is "better" or easier switch from the Griots 6"?
Will the existing foam/microfiber velcro pads that I have work, or do I have to use the the manufacturers pads? (Currently own ton of 3" 4" 5" 5.5" velcro pads from various companies)
I need something smooth compared to the Griots 6", which brand?
Any "mods" or attachments that should be bought that would make life easier?
What do you guys personally use?

1. Since you already own a Griots 6, I'd say a Griots Boss.

2. Yes on a G15, you could also go with a G21 but you'd have to purchase the 5" backing plate.

3. The G15 is said to be smoother than the G21.

4. The polisher comes with 2 washers you can install in order to provide clearance between the backing plate and the shroud, which in turn provides a bit more power and also makes for ideal pad cleaning if you're using compressed air.
But I've found that using the washer compromises a bit of the machines smoothness.. So I now choose to leave it off unless I really need the extra power. [so far I haven't seen a situation it can't handle]

Some polishers are available with HD package aka longer power cord. This is ideal if you're working inside your garage or near a wall outlet in order to directly plug the polisher into. Otherwise it's not really worth paying for this upgrade.

5. I use a Griots Boss 21 w/5" backing plate. No washer mod. 6" LC HD Orbital Foam Pads. IMO the polisher runs so much smoother with this setup.

Added notes: Griots polishers come with a lifetime warranty, as you know.
You'll find it convenient to turn your existing GG6 into a dedicated small pad polisher once you upgrade.
Your existing 5" pads will fit the Boss 5" backing plate, however they're not optimized to be able to handle the added power of the long throw polisher, they're usable, but you'll have better results with the latest offerings. [pads with holes]
When it's all said and done your upgrade won't come cheap, but if it's what you really want it'll be worth it. Good luck!

Shane88
04-18-2016, 05:05 PM
Any thoughts on the Flex or Rupes polishers?

SRConcepts
04-18-2016, 05:20 PM
I went from the GG6 to the Rupes Mark II 15 recently myself. The Rupes is smooth as melted butter compared to the GG6, I don't shake my hands to death anymore. The correction power compared to the GG6 is a big jump, and as good as one would expect from a premium machine. I went with the 15 because of the versatility, there's certain spots on my cars that a 6.5" pad won't work well with, especially when you take into account the large throw of the 21 as well. For me it was well worth the trade-off of not having to switch to a smaller machine, versus the time saved on larger flat panels with the 21.

That said, I'm still going to get my hands on the Mark II 21 soon. However, I believe I've made the right choice going with the 15 initially.

808_detail_nut
04-18-2016, 07:06 PM
Get a boss 21. With that you have 2 machines that can use 2" pads all the way up to the 6.5" pads. Between me and my partner we have a gg6, boss 15, and boss 21. I love my griots and being able to talk to Jeff Brown directly really helps if I feel like something is not right with the machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shane88
04-18-2016, 07:41 PM
I'll look into the Boss 21/15, but I'm leaning towards something that doesn't shake(vibrate) as much as the GG6. Seem's like Griots receives a lot of love on the forums. Any other users of Rupes 21/15 or Flex 3401 wanna pitch in there thoughts?

Zubair
04-19-2016, 02:18 AM
Rupes Bigfoot is much smoother than a 3401. I like my Flex 3401 but I love my Rupes.

VISITOR
04-19-2016, 03:05 AM
I'll look into the Boss 21/15, but I'm leaning towards something that doesn't shake(vibrate) as much as the GG6. Seem's like Griots receives a lot of love on the forums. Any other users of Rupes 21/15 or Flex 3401 wanna pitch in there thoughts?

the G21 is more enjoyable and comfortable to use than the flex 3401. since you already have a GG6, the G21 would be a great companion to go with it so you can use a variety of pads for different situations. also, the excellent/attentive top-notch customer service and warranty from Griot's is a bonus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtpgZV9vL1A

VISITOR
04-19-2016, 03:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8eIKCHq72A

ScubaCougr
04-20-2016, 03:21 PM
I was in your shoes about a year ago, opted for the Flex 3401 because the gear drive would help with vertical side panels where the GG sometimes struggled.

I've been happy with that choice and have almost completely retired my GG.

Michael
Great Reflections Detailing
Vancouver, WA

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BadgerRivFan
04-20-2016, 04:09 PM
^^^^^^^^ +1 ^^^^^^^^

Jaretr1
04-20-2016, 05:01 PM
I have the LHR21ES (first gen) and it is a fine machine. I swapped the original backing plate for a 5" and use 5.5" pads. The Lake Country Thin pro work great. The new Flex XFE15? is also a super nice tool. But you will need to buy new pads for now.

I still have my original PC 7424XP and use it ehre and there.