PDA

View Full Version : Touch Up Paint Question

uhohitsstevo
04-17-2016, 07:20 PM
Okay, so I do know what I am doing but I don't know what I am doing wrong. I am touching up a small ding on the bottom of my door and have been trying to get it right for quite some time. I have paint leveler (Mercury Precision Paint Leveler Spray 92-802878-54 - Boating Painting Supplies - Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Precision-Paint-Leveler-92-802878-54/dp/B001QX06JU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460938570&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=automotive+paint+leveler+mercury)) and I have 2000 grit sand paper, I used both to try and flatten the spot out but both just lifted the paint out of the chip. I finally got some small touch up brushes and got it to something that satisfied me without the leveling or sand paper and I just went to wax it after 5 days and the wax lifted out the paint. I do not know what I am doing wrong and what I need to do. I also previously tried using the clear coat that came with the touch up and it just made things look even worse. I am wondering if I even need to use the clear coat? Any advice would be helpful. I don't wanna damage the paint that much so i feel like I should not really use the leveler. Will the leveler affect the paint/clear coat?

I want it to be as level as possible and I would like to put a coat of wax on it to just add a slight layer of protection especially over areas that I used the leveler around because I am worried the leveler will affect the paint.

Touch Up Paint - Genuine VW Volkswagen Touch Up Paint Pen LC9X Deep Black Pearl Brand New | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/321826538300?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

AGOatemywallet
04-17-2016, 08:18 PM
How are you preparing the chip, prior to application of the touch-up paint?

uhohitsstevo
04-17-2016, 08:19 PM
How are you preparing the chip, prior to application of the touch-up paint?

Wiping it down with all purpose cleaner. Used the paint leveler also to wipe down the area.

qrwteyrutiyoup
04-17-2016, 08:24 PM
I may be off here, but I remember reading something about waiting at least a month before waxing after touching up a spot.

I am sure more experienced people will be able to confirm or correct that information, anyway.

uhohitsstevo
04-17-2016, 08:26 PM
And now I realized it pulled up more paint...

Mantilgh
04-17-2016, 08:27 PM
I'm a wondering what "paint leveler" is.

I would use a high percentage alcohol or a prep solvent to wipe down with before, then just apply the touch up paint. Then maybe let it set a few weeks if five days didn't work. I sanded scratches I touched up about a week later and could still smell the solvent in mine.

I wouldn't worry about trying to put clear over it.

uhohitsstevo
04-17-2016, 08:28 PM
I'm a wondering what "paint leveler" is.

I would use a high percentage alcohol or a prep solvent to wipe down with before, then just apply the touch up paint. Then maybe let it set a few weeks if five days didn't work. I sanded scratches I touched up about a week later and could still smell the solvent in mine.

When I sanded also it pulled the paint up. Why do you not recommend a clear? I find it only makes it looks worse to me.

Mantilgh
04-17-2016, 08:37 PM
APC may be leavening some surfactants behind that are affecting adhesion. That and/or the paint has not cured enough. Or there's some thing in the "paint leveler" that is affecting it.

Mantilgh
04-17-2016, 08:43 PM
The clear is just to hard too do and it will not blend it well, or look good.

To get it level you would have to sand slightly below the surrounding clear, after filling the scratch, then put a layer of clear on then level that. (I have not done this) It can be done but won't really give you better looking results. The added clear coat spot will be more, or at least just as obvious than the paint only touch up.

AZpolisher15
04-27-2016, 12:52 AM
Could you post a photo? Is the missing paint in question on metal or plastic? If it is plastic, I would take the corner of a single edge razor blade and make a nearly microscopic "cut" in the plastic. Maybe a couple depending on the size of the missing paint chip. The little cut(s) might allow the paint to grab hold. I've done this when fixing paint chips on color matched plastic trim. After adding touch up paint, I then wait a month before touching it again.

Rsurfer
04-27-2016, 01:32 AM
You need to get it super clean and put a thin layer of paint, let dry over for a day and slowly build up the layers. This may take several days, depending how deep the chip.

If you glob it on, it will pull out because it can't dry throughly.