PDA

View Full Version : Which buffer next? Need suggestions

jonnywood23
04-17-2016, 02:01 PM
Hey guys,
I don't really need a new buffer, but I am looking for something with a larger throw than what I currently have. I have a PC 7424, flex xc3401, and makita rotary. Am I wasting my time looking for a new buffer, or is it worth it for the rupes markII 15 or 21, or new flex xfe? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

RTexasF
04-17-2016, 07:00 PM
Why? It sounds like you have solid equipment on hand.

coles_paint_correction
04-18-2016, 11:22 AM
Hey guys,
I don't really need a new buffer, but I am looking for something with a larger throw than what I currently have. I have a PC 7424, flex xc3401, and makita rotary. Am I wasting my time looking for a new buffer, or is it worth it for the rupes markII 15 or 21, or new flex xfe? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

How do you like the flex compared to ur makita rotary? I'm in the progress to get either one.

CalSun Detail
05-11-2016, 10:11 PM
I had the exact three polishers you just mentioned in my rotation for about 2 years. I used PC mainly for finish polishing, the flex when I wanted to correct on expensive cars but was too chicken to use rotary, and makita to really cut.

Then I added the 6" Griot's and noticed the throw was way better than the PC and was lighter and less vibration than the Flex. I sold the Flex, kept the PC, kept the Makita. Then sold the Makita and replaced it with Dewalt rotary. For the longest time I was correcting with Griot's DA/ 105 and finishing with PC/ 205.

Now I just ordered the Rupes 21 Mark II and think I'll use that to correct and Griot's to finish. I'll keep dewalt rotary to work on front or rear lights and PC to do carpets or something.

David Hayward
05-11-2016, 11:03 PM
Well if you are looking to speed things up on large panels and it's a business you are currently running or trying to start up, for sure get a long throw. If you are just doing your own cars I'd say don't worry about it you have a great lineup.

I have a gg6, flex 3401, flex pe-14, rupes mini lh75e, and a Griots BOSS G21 which I just acquired.

I'm very very happy with my G21 after only a few cars because it's less effort correcting than my 3401 and overall just feels like a great machine. With a large 6 inch pad big flat areas were no problem. But I also had my mini and my 3401 setup on my table as I was working and used all of them together.

So I feel like a long throw won't be a replacement for the 3401, it would be great to have one, but it wouldn't benefit much for just casual use because the 3401 is still an awesome and capable machine by itself.

VISITOR
05-11-2016, 11:46 PM
if you decide on a large throw DA, take a look at the G15/21...

Griots Garage BOSS Long-Throw Orbital Polisher System (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-boss-long-throw-orbital-polisher-system.html)

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/autogeek/griots-garage-boss-long-throw-orbital-polisher-system-1.gif

briarpatch
05-12-2016, 10:09 AM
and...if u r considering either the G15 or the G21......there are some great sales going on right now here on AutoGeek

Paul A.
05-12-2016, 11:04 AM
After reading your current inventory of machines my only question would be what are you expecting a large throw DA to do that your current machines can't do? I have basically your current setup...a PC, a rotary and now a Flex 3401. I consider myself to have everything i need to do anything on anything however i readily admit to "still learning" myself and there may be something i could gain from a large throw myself.

Just asking you a question i would ask myself. Not trying to be argumentative in the least. Just introspective.

CalSun Detail
05-12-2016, 11:41 AM
After reading your current inventory of machines my only question would be what are you expecting a large throw DA to do that your current machines can't do? I have basically your current setup...a PC, a rotary and now a Flex 3401. I consider myself to have everything i need to do anything on anything however i readily admit to "still learning" myself and there may be something i could gain from a large throw myself.

Just asking you a question i would ask myself. Not trying to be argumentative in the least. Just introspective.

Good point. We didn't even ask what jonnywood23 is looking to accomplish here.