PDA

View Full Version : Water spots on black

yellowvert
10-11-2007, 10:08 AM
After a thorough wash yesterday and a coat of DG111, today I noticed water spots....

I washed the car mostly in the sun. I have basically no choice other than to wash the car at night. After washing and blow drying, I went over the car with Megs QD and thought I got the water spots cleaned. I then did a coat of DG111 followed with a sprtiz of QD. While (per other post) there was some streaking, on detail look today, I saw water spots I had not seen yesterday.

What is the best way to now get rid of these water spots? I did a light rub with QD with no improvement. Before I do something I'll regret, I thought I'd ask the experts.

The plan tomorrow is to do a light rinse and another coat of DG 111. Then another light rinse and a coat of Carnuba on the weekend.

Also, should I be putting the DG111 on with my PC with a foam pad (only pad I have) or do it manually with the provided hand pad. I don't care - just want to do it right.

Major learning mode here....thanks in advance!

Waxmax
10-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Water spots can be tough to remove. In my area, sprinklers in parking lots leave some of the toughest spots due to high mineral content in the water and sometimes the water is on the car for hours in bright sun. Yours may not be as bad since it was from washing.

I've used DG's water spot remover or a 50:50 mix of vinegar and distilled water. DG claims their WSR will not remove the LSP. If they are mild spots and you get to them early, this should work.

If this fails, the next step is to use a mildly abrasive polish and of course rewax or reseal.

If they are etched into the paint itself, you'll have to go more aggressive and some resort to wet sanding.

Waxmax
10-11-2007, 11:07 AM
One other thing I did not mention, it sounds like you have applied DG111 sealant over the spots. DG's water spot remover may not work since it will not cut through the DG111 which is now protecting the spots. Try a mild abrasive polish to remove the DG111 and get down to the spots, then work the spots and then reapply the DG111.

makdaddy626
10-11-2007, 11:18 AM
If the spots have been on there long enough to etch the cc you'll need an abrasive, if not, you can try the vinegar:water solution, or, my go to for removing water spots is KAIO.