PDA

View Full Version : Repainted Jeep - First Wax

CrashX
04-17-2016, 10:46 AM
I had my 2000 TJ repainted last year, to a different color. The guy who painted it told me not to wax her the first year, so I didn't. Turns out my friendgirl's yard had some trees, and now I've got little specks of (I'm guessing) sap - very tiny little specks all over the place on the hood.
I washed really thoroughly yesterday and I'm hoping the Meguiar's detailing spray and the clay sponges will get out the specks. I tried some sap remover - nada.
Anyway, spent ALL DAY yesterday washing her. I had the interior redone in bed liner - so there was just leaves and twigs and whatnot everywhere.
I have Collinite 845 - I saw here on the forum to place it in warm water, so gonna do that. Not sure whether to do one coat or two because it's a new paint job - I have no idea.
I'm hoping that, if the clay doesn't get out the specs, I can just wax over it and deal with it some other time. Yesterday basically totaled me - glad it wasn't raining so I have today to do the detailing and waxing.
Thanks very much for any advice, as I'm new.

Hood

Up Close

WRAPT C5Z06
04-17-2016, 12:06 PM
Your up close shot shows very noticeable swirls; I would assume from the body shop using a rotary and wool pad. Car definitely needs a polish.

I zoomed in, is this a dirt nib on the hood?
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss189/brewinz_2009/0FF374A8-8C70-428B-BA5C-0E21DAC8CF85_zps8w29fsan.jpg (http://s574.photobucket.com/user/brewinz_2009/media/0FF374A8-8C70-428B-BA5C-0E21DAC8CF85_zps8w29fsan.jpg.html)

JeffM
04-17-2016, 12:45 PM
You only needed to wait a maximum of 90 days. Also optimum spray wax is new paint safe and can go on in 5 days.

CrashX
04-17-2016, 03:30 PM
Your up close shot shows very noticeable swirls; I would assume from the body shop using a rotary and wool pad. Car definitely needs a polish.

I zoomed in, is this a dirt nib on the hood?
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss189/brewinz_2009/0FF374A8-8C70-428B-BA5C-0E21DAC8CF85_zps8w29fsan.jpg (http://s574.photobucket.com/user/brewinz_2009/media/0FF374A8-8C70-428B-BA5C-0E21DAC8CF85_zps8w29fsan.jpg.html)

I have no idea. Nothing came off with the detailer and clay, so I just waxed it. It's a Jeep, so it sucks if the specks are permanent - but after waxing, it looks like all the swirls and whatnot came out.

I have learned from this experience, though, that I'm too old to be washing my Jeep and prepping it for waxing. If I were younger, I'd probably be upset with the specks and whatnot - but I'm just thoroughly beat from yesterday's ordeal and just hoping to finish the waxing today.

What's probably most discomforting is that I wanted to do it myself to make certain it's done right - only to find out I can't do it right. My energy level is just sapped from yesterday, and I'll be happy to get her waxed and be DONE with it. Very sad really.

Next time, in the Fall, she's definitely going in to the hand wash and wax place in town. This has just been absolutely brutal. Thanks very much for the feedback.

JeffM
04-17-2016, 06:11 PM
Maybe there is a member near you that can assist you.

RTexasF
04-17-2016, 06:57 PM
A year? That means the painter never wanted to see you again. That time frame is way out of line.

custmsprty
04-17-2016, 07:13 PM
A year? That means the painter never wanted to see you again. That time frame is way out of line.

Yeah, as Mike P has stated numerous times here, 30 days is usually ample time for an aftermarket paint job.

CrashX
04-21-2016, 08:44 PM
Yeah, as Mike P has stated numerous times here, 30 days is usually ample time for an aftermarket paint job.

I greatly appreciate everyone's help. I'm in Northeast Mississippi if anyone knows of any detailing shops with a solid reputation, or members who do freelance detailing.

And I apologize for not responding. The forum is extremely delayed on sending out emails. I was just now notified at 5:30 PM today about a previous response. And I'm not complaining. If I was running a forum, I'd probably want to know if the script or the mail server was possibly malfunctioning and/or delayed.

Thanks again to everyone for all of your help and advice.