PDA

View Full Version : Best bang for the buck clay mitt?

MrOneEyedBoh
04-16-2016, 05:00 PM
So I'm looking to get a fine clay mitt. I was wondering which ones is the best bang for the buck? Also, are they still scratching the paint finish like they were when the first came out? Or was that an issue with the user not the products? As in it was a new product and they weren't using it correctly?

Mantilgh
04-16-2016, 09:04 PM
I think Optimum has the best prices for clay alternatives but I think they come in a smaller size. I only have their "heavy/aggressive" towel and I don't think much of it though and rarely use it. I'm not sure if the "fine" grade is any better, but I haven't heard any complaints about it.

Nanoskin also has the Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge which is less pricy, and also smaller. I also have and use the one OTC clay mitt that is available and it works very well and is priced well.

Yes, they do have the potential to mar the paint, but so does traditional clay. It does depend somewhat on the paint that it is being used on. Just keep em lubed up and use very little pressure. Most here recommend that if you are going to clay, too at least follow it up with a light polishing.

pheerix
04-16-2016, 11:42 PM
I just noticed Optimum's fine grade clay sponge is out of stock on AGO and a competitors site. Must be popular?

MrOneEyedBoh
04-17-2016, 09:16 AM
Or OOS?

kevincwelch
04-17-2016, 09:21 AM
I love the Speedy Prep Towel. Works well and it can conform to a lot of surfaces... Especially under door handles.

(Sent from my mobile device.)

Bill1234
04-18-2016, 06:33 PM
I think eagle one has one for 25 dollars

KB in MD
04-20-2016, 09:40 AM
I think eagle one has one for 25 dollars

Frequently on sale for $19.99 at local parts store

Avgguy
04-20-2016, 10:57 PM
Imho, I think marring is a much bigger risk than scratching as long as you periodically rinse the mitt. I got a Nanoskin fine grade mitt for $36 delivered. Griots has one too. For the price I got it was hard for me to beat, at least among those brands that I would expect to work well. If the eagle one works well, there's your answer. I haven't used it.

KB in MD
04-21-2016, 09:41 AM
I have the Eagle brand and I think the other one I have is the Nanoskin mitt. They seem to work the same and the only visual difference is the Nanoskin one has 1/4" more rubber stuff