PDA

View Full Version : Bottled treatment for scratches on paint?

prr
04-16-2016, 04:41 PM
I was shopping in car parts stores today when I saw some bottles promoting their ability to remove scratches.

(1) Can any liquid solution from a bottle work on significantly reducing or eliminating scratches in paint? I have two areas (one on each car) that I'd like to treat, if I could. They were like $5-10 each, so its certainly worth a shot.

(2) Are these solutions so powerful that I could damage the surface of the paint? Just wondering. I've never done this before, so I'd like to know if there might be an issue or not.

pheerix
04-16-2016, 04:50 PM
1. Yes
2. Yes

Someone else please elaborate lol

prr
04-16-2016, 05:38 PM
OK, if both answers are yes, then does anyone have any recommendations for which products to get/avoid?

AGOatemywallet
04-16-2016, 05:54 PM
Both

prr
04-16-2016, 05:59 PM
If it is possible to goof up the paint, then what are the dangers? Is it just not in following directions? Or are there particular products that are bad? or what?

pheerix
04-16-2016, 06:25 PM
Easiest would probably be getting a bottle of Meguiars Scratch X and using by hand. If it doesn't get it out then you need a machine polisher or hire a professional.

prr
04-16-2016, 07:05 PM
Easiest would probably be getting a bottle of Meguiars Scratch X and using by hand. If it doesn't get it out then you need a machine polisher or hire a professional.

If I can't get it out myself, I'd probably just live with it.

I saw one video recommending that you try a product out in an inconspicuous place like the inside of the door, so you know how to apply it.

What can go wrong? I mean, why do I have to worry about hurting the paint's finish?

pheerix
04-16-2016, 07:24 PM
If you're using anything by hand, it's unlikely you'll burn through the clear coat which is what you want to avoid when machine polishing but by hand it shouldn't be a real concern.

AGOatemywallet
04-16-2016, 10:18 PM

What can go wrong? I mean, why do I have to worry about hurting the paint's finish?

Those Famous Last Words are often uttered and never forgotten

FUNX650
04-16-2016, 11:03 PM
I was shopping in car parts stores today
when I saw some bottles promoting their
ability to remove scratches.

(1) Can any liquid solution from a
bottle work on significantly reducing
or eliminating scratches in paint?
As Mike Phillips is wont to say:
"you don't really remove a scratch, you
remove the paint surrounding a scratch".

Note:
The above quote taken from the below
Mike Phillips article (an excellent read):

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/19986-what-means-remove-swirls-scratches-water-spots-out-automotive-clear-coats.html

Hope this helps.

Bob