PDA

View Full Version : Correct wax

enventr
04-15-2016, 09:58 PM
I am a newbie and saw a few videos of the porter c. Machine. I have a C6 corvette in black and a black Lexus . I have some swirls and some very light scratches. I think I have the courage to buy the porter C. Machine . I do not know what pads to buy or what type of a mild swirl remover to use. Also a finishing polish. What would you recommend?
thank you
Dave

Don M
04-15-2016, 10:56 PM
Is there a certain line of products you're interested in, or are you open to anything? Do you want Over The Counter (OTC) or on-line ordering?

The Porter Cable is an excellent idea and there are numerous pad brands and types of pads. I personally like Meguiars Products because they are so readily available. I also use the Meguiars thin pads because I can order them by the 6-pack for ~$50

mwoolfso
04-15-2016, 11:05 PM
Best bet is a polishing kit. Something like this should be fine.

Meguiars Porter Cable Soft Buff Polishing Kit, Meguiars Soft Buff 2.0 Foam Pads, Porter Cable 7424 DA Polisher, Meguiars Mirror Glaze Kit (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-soft-buff-kit.html)

AZpolisher15
04-16-2016, 12:07 AM
You might also take a look at the griots garage 6" polisher. Not much more money than the PC and it's a slightly more powerful machine. It also comes with a lifetime warranty. I was in your shoes last fall (new guy) and was urged to go for the GG6. Glad I did.

Also, being a new guy... I was turned on to AIO products (all in one). There's some really good stuff out there now that will take care of light scratches and swirls and lay down some good protection in one step (negating the need for a 2 step correction/wax). Search for HD Speed on the forum. Lots of fans.

A GG6, a six pack of Lake Country flat pads (5 white and 1 blue or black), and a bottle of HD Speed might be just what you're looking for. You could use the white for AIO application (or a light swirl remover). And use the black (or blue) pad for a dedicated wax/sealer. Just a place to start.

enventr
04-16-2016, 05:40 AM
Thanks guys. I live about 30 minutes from Auto Geek and I'm open for any brand name. I am nervous about doing this. To start maybe a mild swirl remover and then a high gloss finish. I saw a few videos but even though they say you can't burn the paint, it still is in back of my mind. They have all different pad types, how do you know how to use the right one
Thank you

cleanmycorolla
04-16-2016, 09:39 AM
Thanks guys. I live about 30 minutes from Auto Geek and I'm open for any brand name. I am nervous about doing this. To start maybe a mild swirl remover and then a high gloss finish. I saw a few videos but even though they say you can't burn the paint, it still is in back of my mind. They have all different pad types, how do you know how to use the right one
Thank you

don't worry about burning your paint with a DA, thats the last thing you should be worried about. You're more likely to accidentally drop the polisher on your car then to burn the paint, eliminate it from your brain. Its not a rotary and you're not taking much off. :)

AZpolisher15
04-16-2016, 11:04 AM
Thank you
Ok, another route... Menzerna SF3500 + Power Lock. Should get you a nice finish and it'd be a very non aggressive approach.

AZpolisher15
04-16-2016, 11:06 AM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/100379-review-wolfgang-exterior-system-polish-enhancer-deep-gloss-paint-sealant-3-0-deep-gloss-liquid-seal.html

LSNAutoDetailing
04-16-2016, 11:42 AM
Thank you

Mike Phillips holds a detail event on Thursday nights. You could always fill out his sign up sheet and volunteer, get some pointers along the way.
If I lived near AG... it would be dangerous for me. :-)

custmsprty
04-16-2016, 11:44 AM
HD Speed. You can practice light polishing with this and you get the benefit of the AIO. You can add more products later on.

enventr
04-16-2016, 12:55 PM
Thank you all, I appreciate all of your answers. I will go down to AG and try and speak to Mike P. As I may attend a class