PDA

View Full Version : Any problem with using Wash & Wax before waxing?

prr
04-15-2016, 01:20 PM
Normally I've used straight soap before a wax, and then when I wasn't going to wax the car, I've used my Wash & Wax soap. Not trying to start a thread about the benefits of a wash & wax (I haven't noticed any benefits).

Now, my straight soap is getting used up. I'm wondering if I should just use my Wash & Wax (Meguiars) even when I'm going to wax right afterwards. I haven't done this before. Would using a wash & wax product before waxing, make my wax job less likely to stick---or be bad for the car, in any way?

ascarbo27
04-15-2016, 02:10 PM
i was just thinking of this and its kinda funny that you posted it. i feel like the wax in the soap probably wouldnt last as long and if you had wax over it, the soap wax would break down also breaking down the wax wax. does that make sense?

prr
04-15-2016, 02:34 PM
i was just thinking of this and its kinda funny that you posted it. i feel like the wax in the soap probably wouldnt last as long and if you had wax over it, the soap wax would break down also breaking down the wax wax. does that make sense?

Let's just say that it is theoretically possible. I mean, the weakest link in the chain, and all that. So if a thin, cheap layer of wax is between the paint and a solid layer of wax, then if that thin layer breaks down, then wouldn't it wear down the layer on top of it? THis is basically the thinking that got me to post this.

I'd like to see what the expert opinion (or at least, the voice of experience) has to say. Maybe its nothing, maybe its something.

ascarbo27
04-15-2016, 02:38 PM
Let's just say that it is theoretically possible. I mean, the weakest link in the chain, and all that. So if a thin, cheap layer of wax is between the paint and a solid layer of wax, then if that thin layer breaks down, then wouldn't it wear down the layer on top of it? THis is basically the thinking that got me to post this.

I'd like to see what the expert opinion (or at least, the voice of experience) has to say. Maybe its nothing, maybe its something.

exactly what i mean, the soap wax would break down causing the top layer to not hold that bond with anything that isnt deteriorating

parshooter
04-15-2016, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't think the Wash & Wax wax would be "waxey" enough to prevent a real wax to not stick to it. I sure wouldn't give a second thought to waxing after the Wash & Wax.

Desertnate
04-15-2016, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't see anything wrong with using a wash and wax soap if I was going to actually put down a carnauba wax. I can't see it being different than layering wax. However, if I was going to put down a sealant, I would not try it because, as others have brought up, the wax might get in the way of the sealant bonding to the surface.

If you are out of your normal soap you could always pick up a small bottle of Meguiars Crystal (not the one with wax in it) or Gold Class shampoo's locally for very little. You can find them almost everywhere.

AZpolisher15
04-15-2016, 06:40 PM
^^agreed. If this is a concern, pick up a cheap soap without the "wax". But in all honesty, a lot of LSP's have at least a minimal cleaner component built in (or so I've gathered in reading on the forum). Between the solvents in the LSP and the application process, my guess is whatever "wax" was laid down by the soap, it will be "overtaken" by the new LSP.

prr
04-15-2016, 06:46 PM
Sounds good. I'm just using my wash & wax b/c I don't like shelling out money and not using the product. I don't plan on buying any more, after this. But at least now I don't have to get anything until both containers are gone.

Thanks.