PDA

View Full Version : Convertible soft top cleaner

Scubadaddy
04-15-2016, 08:13 AM
New to the convertible world hence the newbie question.

Can anyone recommend a convertible soft top cleaner? I use Meg's Gold Class and/or Optimum Care wash as a shampoo. Is this enough or do I need a dedicated cleaner for the top? What about a conditioner to keep it soft/prevent sun UV damage?

Thanks!!

FUNX650
04-15-2016, 08:27 AM
I like this explanation:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-videos/24317-show-car-garage-video-how-clean-protect-cloth-convertible-top.html

Bob

Scubadaddy
04-15-2016, 09:54 AM
Good information. Do I need to do this every wash? How frequently do I need to use the cleaner and protectant?

BadgerRivFan
04-15-2016, 11:42 AM
The RaggTopp products mentioned in the video Bob provided the link to are excellent. You don't need to use them weekly, but use your best judgement depending upon how dirty your top gets. Really depends on how much your top is exposed to the elements (i.e. daily driver, garage-kept sun & fun car, etc.)

I have not tried/used this brand new product from Griot's Garage, but it is also an intriguing option for maintaining your convertible top. Check it out here:

Griots Garage Convertible Top Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-top-cleaner.html)

Cabrio
04-15-2016, 02:37 PM
I use ragg top and absolutely love it. My convertible is not a DD and 80% of the time I do drive it, the top is down. So I don't wash it weekly and as BadgerRivFan stated, it all depends.

rlmccarty2000
04-15-2016, 04:31 PM
I prefer 303 Fabric Cleaner and 303 Fabric Protectant to clean and protect my fabric top. I don't care for the overspray I get when using Raggtopp protectant. You can brush on 303 Fabric Protectant for better coverage.

Cabrio
04-15-2016, 05:56 PM
Hey rlmccarty2000 - you bring up a very good point. Eons ago when I first started boating, I exclusively used 303 on my sunbrella boat covers. I would not use anything else. These covers take a beating and 303 does a fantastic job.

As far as Raggtop - I like the cleaner and feel that it does a great job. The protectant, I also feel that it does a great job but you are correct with the overspray. I guess I sort of overlook this aspect since I am applying the protectant maybe two times a year. Again, my convertible is not a DD, not a winter car and when I do drive it, the fabric top is usually down and out of sight.

Riff
04-15-2016, 11:36 PM
I try to touch my convertible top as little as possible. I think the more you rub it, scrub it, wash it and rinse it, the sooner it will start leaking and tearing.

I use the 303 cleaner with a horse hair brush and then the 303 convertible top protectant once or twice a year. Water beads like crazy with this stuff.

Scubadaddy
04-19-2016, 03:19 PM
Thank you all