PDA

View Full Version : How soon can I use a sealant?

Scubadaddy
04-15-2016, 08:09 AM
Buying a new car and the sealer said I shouldn't wax/seal for 2 months. I thought that was outrageous! Is there a wait time after a vehicle is painted I must wait?

chops1sc
04-15-2016, 08:12 AM
There is a cure time for new paint, but you really don't know exactly when the car was painted vs when you get it.

Scubadaddy
04-15-2016, 08:31 AM
There is always the "born on date" stamped on the plate on the inside part of the door. But what really is the cure time?

FUNX650
04-15-2016, 08:42 AM
Is this a new car that was just recently
born at an OEM assembly plant?

If so...the paint sprayed onto the vehicle
while in the OEM's paint kitchen is already
cured before it ever leaves the Plant.

If not...then follow the body-shop
painter's paint-cure-time advice.

Bob

Scubadaddy
04-15-2016, 09:41 AM
FUNX650,

New car. Good to know. That definitely answers my question! Thanks

goldenlight
04-15-2016, 10:57 AM
You can wash polish and seal the car as soon as you pick it up..

FUNX650
04-15-2016, 11:16 AM
FUNX650,

New car. Good to know. That definitely answers my question! Thanks
Glad to be able to help in some small way.

BTW:
Due to another recent thread of yours,
I believe your new vehicle is a rag-top?

So...if you don't mind:
What's the make and model?
TIA.

Bob

Scubadaddy
04-19-2016, 03:17 PM
Miata MX-5

SRConcepts
04-19-2016, 04:33 PM
Miata MX-5

Nice choice! :xyxthumbs:

custmsprty
04-19-2016, 04:47 PM
Nice car, the pinnacle of the Miata line. I love the new lines.

That guy is clueless, he just shows how most car salesman don't have a clue to what they are talking about. The paint is fully cured and the sooner you protect it the better.

Pics?

cardaddy
04-19-2016, 06:50 PM
Not only is he clueless... but as a CAR SALESMAN he's probably wanting to add on a $1095 "paint protection package".

I/we have been looking at a few new ones lately, SUV's, medium, to full sized pickups..... and each time my OCD'ness and knowledge of paint correction comes into the conversation. ;) Always ending with me leaving a business card with every salesman (and their bosses) that I speak with.
I've asked the salesmen over and over, at every dealership; "How much do they front you on a $995 Paint Protection Package... twenty bucks?"

WITHOUT FAIL, whether it's at the GMC/Chevy, KIA, Honda, Toyota, even the Cadillac dealership... they all reply, "If that much!"

To which MY reply, is.... "Send the customer to me. On a *NEW* vehicle I'll do a REAL paint protection, including a paint correction, for $995 and you'll pocket $100".

Needless to say... that makes them happy happy happy! :D