PDA

View Full Version : Claying Xpel Ultimate

Pages : [1] 2

Frank70
04-14-2016, 07:16 PM
The hood and front bumper of my 2014 370Z is covered with Xpel Ultimate. Did a baggie test and can feel the contaminants. Can Xpel be clayed and if so will there be any marring? After claying I will probably hand polish and wax. Kinda unsure whether it would be advisable to machine polish and wax.

I've been on other forums and without a doubt this is the best. Everyone is friendly and very helpful and never talks down to anyone. :thankyousign:

Buster906
04-14-2016, 07:30 PM
Always conduct a test spot somewhere near the bottom. A place that will not be seen by others if an issue arises and is unsightly

FUNX650
04-14-2016, 08:21 PM
I consider automotive clay as being an
abrasive tool. As such: I have never used
it on any of the XPel PPF that was/is on
any of my vehicles.

Bob

Frank70
04-14-2016, 08:42 PM
I consider automotive clay as being an
abrasive tool. As such: I have never used
it on any of the XPel PPF that was/is on
any of my vehicles.

Bob

Bob - thanks for your response. Have you used any product at all to remove the contaminants?

FUNX650
04-14-2016, 09:04 PM
Bob - thanks for your response.
Have you used any product at all
to remove the contaminants?
Besides the two recommended/approved
PPF cleaners: the one from XPel; and PF1's...

This cleaner has been real handy:
- Mothers R3 Racing Rubber Remover, rubber scuff remover, boot scuff eraser (http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-rubber-remover.html)

Bob

Frank70
04-14-2016, 09:15 PM
Bob - thank for your suggestions.

TTQ B4U
04-15-2016, 04:42 AM
You will be fine using clay bar. I've had clear bra's on over a dozen cars and use clay with no issues. Just be sure to keep it lubricated so that it does not drag. Use more solution than you would on paint to insure this. Should be no marring.

I would not however use a machine over top of it. No polish or abrasives necessary as it's film not paint. I have traditionally used a good synthetic sealant but today I use some of quick-spray on synthetics like Optimum Opti-seal or Blackfire Crystal Seal. They work excellent on today's modern film technologies.

I have the entire front of my Audi Done with Premium Shield Elite Film.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah133/PDQS4/Audi/P1020174_zpshzypqqm8.jpg (http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/PDQS4/media/Audi/P1020174_zpshzypqqm8.jpg.html)photobucket

GSKR
04-15-2016, 06:40 AM
The hood and front bumper of my 2014 370Z is covered with Xpel Ultimate. Did a baggie test and can feel the contaminants. Can Xpel be clayed and if so will there be any marring? After claying I will probably hand polish and wax. Kinda unsure whether it would be advisable to machine polish and wax.

I've been on other forums and without a doubt this is the best. Everyone is friendly and very helpful and never talks down to anyone. :thankyousign:for safe sound advice maybe call the company who installs it or the company who promotes it to installers.personally I would apply collinite 845 and nothing else.cover yourself by calling and get names of people who recommended a method of cleaning it safely.

XPELtech
04-15-2016, 11:50 AM

I've been on other forums and without a doubt this is the best. Everyone is friendly and very helpful and never talks down to anyone. :thankyousign:

Hello all! Frank, thank you for question...You can most certainly use clay bar on ULTIMATE. Regarding buffing/waxing as long as the products do not contain petroleum distillates, naphtha or kerosine, then they are quite fine to use.

FUNX650
04-15-2016, 12:01 PM
Hello all! Frank, thank you for question...You can most certainly use clay bar on ULTIMATE. Regarding buffing/waxing as long as the products do not contain petroleum distillates, naphtha or kerosine, then they are quite fine to use.
IMHO:
That narrows it down quite bit to what products
can actually be used, to remove any of the
"marring-defects" caused by the claying process.

Bob

XPELtech
04-15-2016, 12:26 PM
IMHO:
That narrows it down quite bit to what products
can actually be used, to remove any of the
"marring-defects" caused by the claying process.

Bob

Do you have any examples of what you mean by marring defects or an example to see? As clay on top of the film shouldn't leave much marring if using enough lubricant...even if it did leave behind remnants of some clay you could always just use acetone or rubbing alcohol to remove the excess material.

FUNX650
04-15-2016, 12:46 PM
Do you have any examples of what you mean by marring defects or an example to see? As clay on top of the film shouldn't leave much marring if using enough lubricant...even if it did leave behind remnants of some clay you could always just use acetone or rubbing alcohol to remove the excess material.
IMO:
•Using enough lubricant to avoid having claying
induced marring/defects would mean the clay
bar is hydroplaning across the surface—with
little to no removal of contaminates—defeating
the intended purpose of claying.

Another way I look at is:
•Going back to what buffing/waxing products
to not use; and, using your above example of:
"not much marring"...
-What Brand/products could you recommend to
remove the aforementioned amount of marring?

Bob

XPELtech
04-15-2016, 02:52 PM

To add a bit more to my statement, regarding the use Petroleum Distillates (Naphtha or Kerosine), products that contain 5% or less of the two compounds should be fine to use with ULTIMATE. The reason Naphtha and Kerosine are mentioned is because they're two known petroleum distillates that seem to cause issues with Paint Protection Film. Even then, it's only in higher concentrations.

Frank70
04-15-2016, 04:01 PM

Xpel Tech - if I used Xpel Flawless Finish Paint Protection Film Cleaner would that make the ppf feel smooth?

XPELtech
04-15-2016, 05:17 PM
Xpel Tech - if I used Xpel Flawless Finish Paint Protection Film Cleaner would that make the ppf feel smooth?

The cleaner is designed to remove deposits such as tar, oil, hard water stains, bug acids and other contaminants from the film. Its deep cleaning action restores the clear, glossy, freshly-installed appearance of the original film. So if you're seeking a smooth finish, you can try using the clay or the film cleaner. The film cleaner isn't meant as an everyday product