PDA

View Full Version : I Think It's Time For A Rotary

Pages : [1] 2

THENIZZZEIL
10-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Choices Choices Choices

Metabo seems to be the favorite...but if i'm going to shell out some bread...would it be worth to save a few more bucks and get the Festool...

Ive been using PC's since day one and i have 2 of htem...i plan on either getting rid of one of them...or jus having one as a back-up...One of the PC's will probably have a 4" plate for spot buffs and the other can have the traditional 5 or 6" plate

anyways...If between the Makita, Metabo & Festool...rank them in the order you would get them and WHY..I'm leaning towards the Metabo...leaning very very far...hahaha

SOUND OFF

dontsleeponit
10-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Dont have any rotary experience to share with you, but... when your shopping be sure to check out local contractor tool supply stores. There is a real nice place near me called AW Myer, they have HUGE blowout sale/convention every year (just passed) and all of the manufacturers come and set up shop for a few days and demo their tools. Makita, DeWalt, Metabo, PC, and even festool was there.

I did get to see the festool stuff in person, and if you have any experience with professional power tools, you can tell by just picking up any of the festool stuff, they mean business.

D
10-10-2007, 10:35 PM
PM me about this.

ryandamartini
10-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Choices Choices Choices

Metabo seems to be the favorite...but if i'm going to shell out some bread...would it be worth to save a few more bucks and get the Festool...

Ive been using PC's since day one and i have 2 of htem...i plan on either getting rid of one of them...or jus having one as a back-up...One of the PC's will probably have a 4" plate for spot buffs and the other can have the traditional 5 or 6" plate

anyways...If between the Makita, Metabo & Festool...rank them in the order you would get them and WHY..I'm leaning towards the Metabo...leaning very very far...hahaha

SOUND OFF

Id keep the PC and get the Metabo. While the Festool is a good 2 in 1, I dont think for some applications that if you need to do heavier DA polishing that it can pull it off. The Metabo is like heaven.... Its sooooooo smoooooth and it seems it is just contoured so it becomes like an extension of your hands. It is realy a wonderful tool. I know you will enjoy yours :D

Pats300zx
10-11-2007, 11:37 AM
I am also getting ready to pull the trigger on a rotary. Its time to upgrade from my cheap HF rotary. I have read TONS of threads on which is best. I think I am going to go with the Makita 9227 CX3. I found it for around $175 shipped and includes two pads and carry bag. It seems to be the best all around choice. It also has the feather trigger control which I think is a great feature.

trl2112
10-11-2007, 11:43 AM
How about the Hitachi SP18VA?

jesselyons2002
10-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Get the Metabo. I had the makita 9227 and didn't work as good as my Metabo. Also the Metabo is way easier to control.

THENIZZZEIL
10-11-2007, 01:42 PM
im in a situation where the only rotary i've picked up is the Makita - and it feels not so heavy not so light...but the metabo is known for its easy of use and featherweight type...which is somewhat where im leaning towards as well..

The festool was jus up in teh air...its such a cool machine..but the metabo also seems more practical

i think metabo it is...but keep sounding off...also what kinda backing plate should i get with it..a 5" flex or 6"...should i use the 6.5" pads or 5 1/4?

my choice for polishes at the moment is 106ff, sip, ssr 3, ssr 2.5, ssr 2 (lately ive been using 106ff..seems to be the best bet for most of these details ive been getting lately) so whatever pad you guys feel will be more efficient is what im interested in

also...do you guys use the rotary to apply wax..or would i better off to use my pc (waxes that i will more likely be using is petes 53, butter wet wax, souveran)

pirex
10-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Metabo it is :D I use 6.5 pads!

jesselyons2002
10-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Me, I just use the Metabo for correction and use the PC for Wax and sealants. The only 6.5 pad I hate using with the Metabo is the Orange one.

FMINUS
10-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Metabo all the way, Hitachi does a decent job too if price is an issue

THENIZZZEIL
10-11-2007, 04:04 PM
so 6" plate with 6.5" pad? or 5" palte? for some reason i want a 5" plate...but if 6" is best then so be it

pirex
10-11-2007, 04:05 PM
5 would be nice ;)

ryandamartini
10-11-2007, 04:42 PM
and remember if your just starting out with the rotary, I would really recommend larger pads. New folks with rotaries tend to put marks into paint with smaller pads. Larger pads are easier to get the motions down and hone your control.

ScottB
10-11-2007, 06:39 PM
I bought the Hitachi back when AG offered it. It was lower priced, lighter, had more power, and a better warranty. That said, I too would pickup a Matebo if both were being sold side by side currently.