PDA

View Full Version : soap - is there really a difference?

littletimmy
04-13-2016, 07:07 PM
So I've got a little side business going washin cars for about a year now. I've slowly been buildin up customers to the point now that I may have to hire some help. Currently I am washing 3-5 cars on most days - most of my customers hire me on a weekly or biweekly schedule. And many of them have 2-3 cars in the driveway that need cleaning. I have a few detail jobs every now n then but the majority of my business is the typical exterior wash and I bring a portable vacuum with me to clean out the seats and floormats.

Anyways... I'm trying to maximize profits and minimize some of my expenses. I'm about to stock up with car soap and i seem to be going through it pretty fast. A quick google search brings up a ton of different sites

LINKS REMOVED - SEE THE FORUM RULES

Forum Rules (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/company-forum-news-headlines/23712-updated-forum-rules.html)

at first glance it seems like some good info but is this all a bunch of marketing bs or are there actually differences in the quality of the soap or how the car looks after a wash? On amazon i see i can buy a gallon of rain-x car wash for the same price as 48 oz of meguiar's.

Am i missing something here?

Setec Astronomy
04-13-2016, 07:13 PM
There is a whole range of "soap" qualities, dilutions, price points, etc.

If you are running a business I wouldn't be buying anything as small as 48oz, you're going to want to be buying gallons at least.

You might want to try something like this: Meguiars Hyper-Wash is a concetrated car wash for frequent or professional detailing. Super foaming, long lasting car shampoo from Meguiars. (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiar-s-hyper-wash.html)

You also might want to consider a rinseless product depending where you are and how dirty the cars are.

littletimmy
04-13-2016, 07:18 PM
I still haven't quite mastered the rinseless wash I end up with streaks or it just doesn't seem to look as nice maybe I just need more practice - I think I'd be better off just sticking with what I know for now.

Meguiars seems to get the best reviews pretty much everywhere I've seen. Is it worth the extra money, especially if I am only a one or two man job?

Setec Astronomy
04-13-2016, 07:36 PM
Well, let's do a little math here. I see, at that site you mentioned, a 100oz bottle of Rain-X wash. Presuming that it dilutes at 1 oz/gal as most car washes do, that means I get 100 gallons of wash solution for $8, or 8 cents per gallon.

That gallon of Meguiar's Hyper Wash dilutes at 400:1, or .32 oz/gal. that means the gallon of concentrate makes 400 gallons of wash solution (not sure how they come up with 640 on the product page) for $23, or 5.8 cents per gallon.

So which one was "extra money"?

Of course you have to factor in shipping which might change things a bit.

GSKR
04-13-2016, 08:30 PM
There's a difference in soaps wax in it or not.without wax leaves a chalky residue especially in the sun.

littletimmy
04-14-2016, 08:38 AM
Well, let's do a little math here. I see, at that site you mentioned, a 100oz bottle of Rain-X wash. Presuming that it dilutes at 1 oz/gal as most car washes do, that means I get 100 gallons of wash solution for $8, or 8 cents per gallon.

That gallon of Meguiar's Hyper Wash dilutes at 400:1, or .32 oz/gal. that means the gallon of concentrate makes 400 gallons of wash solution (not sure how they come up with 640 on the product page) for $23, or 5.8 cents per gallon.

So which one was "extra money"?

Of course you have to factor in shipping which might change things a bit.

Well now that you put it like that I seem a bit silly not factoring dilution into my reasoning, ha

Mantilgh
04-14-2016, 09:55 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about Hyperwash. I just use Meg's Gold Class wash and it takes me a while to go through it. Hyperwash would last me forever.

I still haven't quite mastered the rinseless wash I end up with streaks or it just doesn't seem to look as nice maybe I just need more practice - I think I'd be better off just sticking with what I know for now.

What brand of rinseless have you tried?

Try washing and drying a section at time, if you don't already, and see if that helps. I haven't had any issues with streaking using rinseless.

MikeC78
04-14-2016, 10:40 AM
If it's streaking, you're not mixing the product correctly or you're letting it dry on the paint.

FUNX650
04-14-2016, 10:52 AM
are there actually differences in the
quality of the soap or how the car
looks after a wash?

•Instead of just saying:
- 'depends on how much the car-wash
products have been "salted", or not'...

•I'll take a stab in another direction and say
that perhaps one of the differences between
various car-wash products/cleaning solutions
may actually be due to:
-the degree, or level, of the cleaning solution's
Surfactants emulsifying properties...
(notwithstanding the micelles' concentration).

Note:
There are also, surely, many similarities,
(as well as many differences), between
car-wash products/cleaning solutions.

Bob

PA DETAILER
04-14-2016, 11:20 AM
HYPERWASH for your stated needs.

vanev
04-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Are there differences in soaps?
Yes, absolutely.

Concentration.
Surfactants.
Foaming Agents.
pH Neutralizers.
Scent Additives.
Hard Water vs Soft Water.
Etc.....

You also have to consider the surface types you are cleaning, the temperature of the panels surfaces, the temperature in the air, and the humidity.
What type of water and wash media's you are using all have a significant input on the final result.
The time factor, and cost factor in terms of product, will often have to do with the size and condition of the vehicle.

In order to maximize profits, you have to deliver results.
Anyone can wash a car, and for dirt cheap.
A detailer, however, will have the knowledge and work ethic to deliver stunning results, even for a basic wash, and profit from it.

You will get out of it, what you put into it.
A year is not very long, you are still paying your dues.
Educate yourself more on product knowledge.
Take more time to learn about decontamination, and products that cross over in the washing process, as this can save time, remove dirt faster, and leave a better finish.
If you want to maximize profits, you have to maximize your knowledge base.