PDA

View Full Version : Detail Advice

72MiuraSV
04-13-2016, 03:12 PM
Hello, my name is Tim and I am new here. I absolutely love detailing automobiles. I have always washed my vehicles myself but it was when I bought my 1995 Corvette when I got into clay bar and really getting into details. I got a lot of experience and last summer I began detailing other peoples cars for the first time. I had a very successful summer and also had a blast at the same time! This summer I'm going to advertise and grow my customer base. I was just wondering what tips and tricks you guys have to save time and get higher quality. I realize this is a pretty broad question but I'd love to hear what advice professional detailers have for starting your own business. The thing that seems to be the biggest pain in the process is clay baring. I have seen these new "clay mitts" and was wondering what you guys think about them? Another thing is removing tar and or other imperfections that do not come off with a wash but are too big and will tear up clay bar. I usually use automotive bug and tar remover but this also takes a very long time and takes several applications before all the debris is removed. One more issue I have is detailing plastic trim without any texture. Things such as side mirrors that are smooth plastic. I've tried several different products such as Maguire's Ultimate Black, Natural Shine and many others but nothing seems to just make the plastic look new without smears. I always get smears or bright spots. Looking forward to hearing your guys advice! -The apprentice

Kamakaz1961
04-13-2016, 03:21 PM
Hi Tim! Way cool to see that you are doing well! I can only give you opinions on 2 things. The Nanoskin Blue Clay Washmitt is now my go-to for washing and claying. You will reduce your detail time significantly. Additionally, the Wash soap is your lube. I love it!! As for trim I like Total Solutions Trim. It does wonders for your trim, however, be very careful...it can get very messy and you need to wipe off areas that you do not want that product on ASAP. But other than the difficulty of application (which it really isn't), it is a great product.

I hope this helps. Again, this is what I do and others may have a different technique.

72MiuraSV
04-13-2016, 03:32 PM
Hello Kamakaz1961! Thanks for the advice, I will look into that brand of claymitt and trim . I can see that reducing the time and also saving quick detailer! I usually go through about one bottle of auto detailer per car that I clay bar. Nice car and I love your signature, Save the Manuals!