PDA

View Full Version : New paint job advise

Red Lehr
04-13-2016, 04:34 AM
My 64 Galaxie has just been repainted (dark blue) and after the paint cures and the paint is properly polished,I want to seal the paint/finish on the car. If it was your car, what products would you use to do the complete job,wax,sealant,applicators,etc. ? I have detailing experience and I use the Menzurna line of polishes.
Do you have a video on this subject ?? There is so much new stuff coming out all the time it's hard to keep up on what to use......
Thanks for any info..
Red

GSKR
04-13-2016, 05:57 AM
Do you have a dual action polisher to complete the task in hand.I can't tell you how many times I've gone to cars shows and cars are filled with swirls and some have a lot of orange peel.your main goal here is to provide flawless depth and glossy vibrant appearance which carnauba waxes provide.maybe fuzion wax would be good for that car,there are so many product and opinions.Im sure you will get multiple answers from forum members.nice car and color .

JeffM
04-13-2016, 06:42 AM
For 90 days all I would use is optimum spray wax which is new paint safe. Pretty much any other sealant or wax will not be safe for new paint, for a maximum of 90 days.

Mike Phillips
04-13-2016, 08:00 AM
My 64 Galaxie has just been repainted (dark blue) and after the paint cures and the paint is properly polished,I want to seal the paint/finish on the car.

Wow!

Wicked bad Galaxie! Here's the full size picture as I uploaded it to your free gallery here on AGO

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=104006

If it was your car, what products would you use to do the complete job,wax,sealant,applicators,etc. ?

I'm assuming this is a garage kept car used for car shows and cruises. Not a daily driver?

I have detailing experience and I use the Menzerna line of polishes.

Do you have a video on this subject ?? There is so much new stuff coming out all the time it's hard to keep up on what to use......

Thanks for any info..

Red

I just shared this link for a guy looking for a backing plate for his Porter Cable.

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/49489-video-mark-your-backing-plate-make-easy-see-pad-rotation.html)

In my reply to him I said,

Out of all the articles I've written in my life I share this one the most as simple as it is....

I'm vindicated. In less than 10 minutes I'm doing what I just said I do the most and again shared the link to the above article. Why? Because it has a lot of info in it.

You want a video? That shows you exactly what to do and how to do it? It's in the link above but I'll copy and paste it below. From the above article/link

How to Properly Use the Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher Updated! (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-dvd.html)
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1313/PorterCableDVD.jpg

While I hate to assume.... here goes....

Assuming the painter has already cut and buffed the paint, if they didn't finish out with a dual action polisher the chances are incredibly high it has holograms from a rotary buffer in the paint.

Like mentioned by my friend Jeff aka GSKR, most show cars I see all my life have swirls/holograms because most body shops only use rotary buffers for their buffing process.

You can fix this real easy all you need is a dual action polisher. Before I type any more do you have an orbital polisher?

As for products, Menzerna has great abrasive technology. Most guys according to the poll I ran a few weeks ago say technique is the most important thing when it comes to polishing paint and I always 100% respectfully disagree with them. The final results always start with top notch abrasive technology. So your good to go with Menzerna.

Assuming the paint has been sanded, cut and polished all you want and need to do is re-polish using something like the Menzerna SI 1500 which is a medium cut polish this will remove any holograms and create a perfect finish.

If you want to go nuts then re-polish using a softer foam pad and the SF 4000 or SF 4500

After 30 days air cure then you can seal the paint. My advice for this is the same advice I've been sharing in the forum world for about 20+ years and that is to,

"Find something you like and use it often"

This means to find a wax or sealant you like and the use it regularly to maintain a flawless finish.

So do you have a wax or sealant you already like?

:)

axel06
04-13-2016, 08:27 AM
i like the porter cable great tool love your ride its beautiful!!!!!!

Red Lehr
04-13-2016, 09:29 AM
I do have a DA (Porter Cable and Flex 3401) and I used the Fusion on the old paint job.It looked great after all the wet sanding,Menzurna 400,1500,4000.
Thanks !!!

Red Lehr
04-13-2016, 09:46 AM
Wow!

Wicked bad Galaxie! Here's the full size picture as I uploaded it to your free gallery here on AGO

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=104006

I'm assuming this is a garage kept car used for car shows and cruises. Not a daily driver?

I just shared this link for a guy looking for a backing plate for his Porter Cable.

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/49489-video-mark-your-backing-plate-make-easy-see-pad-rotation.html)

In my reply to him I said,

I'm vindicated. In less than 10 minutes I'm doing what I just said I do the most and again shared the link to the above article. Why? Because it has a lot of info in it.

You want a video? That shows you exactly what to do and how to do it? It's in the link above but I'll copy and paste it below. From the above article/link

How to Properly Use the Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher Updated! (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-dvd.html)
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1313/PorterCableDVD.jpg

While I hate to assume.... here goes....

Assuming the painter has already cut and buffed the paint, if they didn't finish out with a dual action polisher the chances are incredibly high it has holograms from a rotary buffer in the paint.

Like mentioned by my friend Jeff aka GSKR, most show cars I see all my life have swirls/holograms because most body shops only use rotary buffers for their buffing process.

You can fix this real easy all you need is a dual action polisher. Before I type any more do you have an orbital polisher?

As for products, Menzerna has great abrasive technology. Most guys according to the poll I ran a few weeks ago say technique is the most important thing when it comes to polishing paint and I always 100% respectfully disagree with them. The final results always start with top notch abrasive technology. So your good to go with Menzerna.

Assuming the paint has been sanded, cut and polished all you want and need to do is re-polish using something like the Menzerna SI 1500 which is a medium cut polish this will remove any holograms and create a perfect finish.

If you want to go nuts then re-polish using a softer foam pad and the SF 4000 or SF 4500

After 30 days air cure then you can seal the paint. My advice for this is the same advice I've been sharing in the forum world for about 20+ years and that is to,

"Find something you like and use it often"

This means to find a wax or sealant you like and the use it regularly to maintain a flawless finish.

So do you have a wax or sealant you already like?

:)

I do have a Porter Cable DA and I have the Flex 3401 machine. I do not have a particular wax or sealant,I'm looking at, but it seems a lot of people use the Menzurna sealant. I don't always have a lot of time to look around here on the forum,so I was just curious what pads to use when waxing and applying sealant.
The car is kept in a garage....
I taught myself to sand,cut and buff my old paint job by watching your video on the black AFX car. I did not notice a real big difference in the shine after I used the Menzurna 4000,I used the Menzurna 1500 before that. I now have the Menzurna 2500 also.

Thanks for the articles you posted Mike !!!!!
I can use all the help I can get .

axel06
04-13-2016, 05:37 PM
there are alot of choices but i would go with a sealant like carpro reload spray sealant just my choice, maybe others will chime in

custmsprty
04-13-2016, 05:48 PM
Gorgeous ride!

If it's not a daily driver which I doubt it is I'd stick with the Fuzion. I'm guessing it would look amazing on that paint. No sealant can come close to creating the gloss, wetness and depth of shine of Fuzion.

JRP
04-13-2016, 06:29 PM
Super Sweet Ride Red!

Just beautiful and I love that hood as they say today It`s the Bomb:props: