PDA

View Full Version : Rupes LHR 15 Legacy or Mark II

Pages : [1] 2 3

Freshjive44
04-12-2016, 10:08 PM
It looks like I can save $100 by going with the original Bigfoot 15ES. Is the mark II really worth the extra $100 or is it all in your head? I am just a weekend warrior. My question is specifically about the 15. Any help in making this decision would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

SRConcepts
04-12-2016, 10:25 PM
I recently got a Mark II 15, and I faced the same question myself. I looked at it this way: I was already spending good money for a polisher, so why not spend a little extra and get the best possible version? It's surely better than getting the original and still yearning for the Mark II, and then having to save another $400 to get it IMO.

On the technical side of things, most everything inside the Mark IIs has been tweaked/upgraded, and Rupes has added a few nice touches on the outside as well. I haven't had the chance to take mine for a spin yet, but most everyone that has compared the two say that the Mark II has noticeably more power than the Legacy.

Joe@NextLevelDetail
04-13-2016, 12:19 AM
It really all depends on you. What you plan on doing and the budget your working with.

If you dont have a budget go with the mark 2.

If your a weekend warrior who wants to do your car, and the occasional friend or customer, the version 1 will fit the bill just fine.

The extra 100 bucks you can buy pads, polishes etc.

So for 500 bucks you can get a pretty decent kit.

The mark 2 on the other hand is going to cost you a extra 100 witch means you will have to pay more for the pads etc.

So your just not done after you buy the mark 2.

If you have a fair amount of pads and polishes already i would go with the mark 2.

If your on a tight budget around 4-600 and you need pads and polishes etc.

The version 1 is definitely the way to go.

The version 1 is still no slouch, the mark 2 power is nice, but if rupes never made the mark 2 i think everyone would be content with the originals still.

The extra power is nice to have tho!

Zubair
04-13-2016, 04:58 AM
The 15ES is an awesome polisher.

Freshjive44
04-13-2016, 08:46 AM
What do you guys make of this "HD" version with the attached 25' cord? Should I just get a decent 12 gauge extension cord or spend the $40 on the HD? I never had an issue attaching an extension cord to my Porter Cable but I suppose it'd be nice to have an all in one.

KB in MD
04-13-2016, 09:25 AM
What do you guys make of this "HD" version with the attached 25' cord? Should I just get a decent 12 gauge extension cord or spend the $40 on the HD? I never had an issue attaching an extension cord to my Porter Cable but I suppose it'd be nice to have an all in one.

IF you have no issue with attaching an extension cord why spend the extra ca$h?
You can get a 25' 12ga cord for half of that $40 and put the extra towards the MKii :)

Freshjive44
04-13-2016, 09:39 AM
IF you have no issue with attaching an extension cord why spend the extra ca$h?
You can get a 25' 12ga cord for half of that $40 and put the extra towards the MKii :)

I like your logic. I just need some extra convincing to spring for the Mark II. Is the 12 gauge the proper cord for these Rupes machines? I was just assuming that's what they require.

RaskyR1
04-13-2016, 10:07 AM
IMO the only "real" reason to get the Mark II is if you struggle with keeping rotation on curved areas. This comes down to technique but many people still struggle with it. The added power of the Mark II takes most, if not all that out of the equation so it's a good option for those users. On the 15ES I would run the tool on speeds or 4-6 and with the new MKII I'm running it at speeds of 3-4. They both do the same job but the additional power of the MKII is very noticeable. The speed dial is more linear too. No wrong choice but the MKII is a better tool and IMO is worth the extra $100.

Dylan@RUPES
04-13-2016, 05:43 PM
Rasky definitely covered it well.

I think you could get an LHR15ES and be perfectly happy. Its a great tool that features impeccable balance and will be a great solution, especially if its just for your personal use and you're not correcting paint as a career. When you spend the extra $100 and go with the Mark II you get closer to 40% increased power (more than the 21ES vs 21II) and this makes the Mark II a monster! As pointed out above you'll run the Mark II tool at 3-4 on the dial, only really ever jumping to 5 or 6 when you need to maintain pad rotation on complex curves. The torque delivery of the Mark II, considering the fact that it still only consumes 500watts, is very impressive.

So long story short - you can go with either and probably be happy, but if you're a tool geek or intend to do more than just your own car as a hobbyist the Mark II is probably the better investment.

For the long cord: Thats an offer exclusive to Autogeek and its worth it if you find yourself struggling for the right cord setup in your garage. For me personally my nearest outlets at home are not convenient so I end up using a 50ft extension cord regardless so the longer cord doesn't make much difference to me there, but if you have well placed outlets the ability to plug right into the wall and go is nice, especially for the small amount of additional money.

jcaustin87
04-13-2016, 07:59 PM
I find the standard cord lengths to be plenty long enough. I still hook up to an extension cord though....

WRAPT C5Z06
04-13-2016, 11:21 PM
Mark II for sure!!!!!!!

DBAILEY
04-14-2016, 12:04 AM
Use a 12 gauge extension cord. I notice that all of my polishers will run noticeably cooler when using a 12 gauge vs. 14 or 16 gauge cord. Harbor Freight is the cheapest place to by extension cords that I have found.

Zubair
04-14-2016, 08:55 AM
Rasky definitely covered it well.

I think you could get an LHR15ES and be perfectly happy. Its a great tool that features impeccable balance and will be a great solution, especially if its just for your personal use and you're not correcting paint as a career. When you spend the extra $100 and go with the Mark II you get closer to 40% increased power (more than the 21ES vs 21II) and this makes the Mark II a monster! As pointed out above you'll run the Mark II tool at 3-4 on the dial, only really ever jumping to 5 or 6 when you need to maintain pad rotation on complex curves. The torque delivery of the Mark II, considering the fact that it still only consumes 500watts, is very impressive.

So long story short - you can go with either and probably be happy, but if you're a tool geek or intend to do more than just your own car as a hobbyist the Mark II is probably the better investment.

For the long cord: Thats an offer exclusive to Autogeek and its worth it if you find yourself struggling for the right cord setup in your garage. For me personally my nearest outlets at home are not convenient so I end up using a 50ft extension cord regardless so the longer cord doesn't make much difference to me there, but if you have well placed outlets the ability to plug right into the wall and go is nice, especially for the small amount of additional money.

How about the difference going from 15ES to 21 MKII?

KBsToy
04-14-2016, 09:23 AM
It really all depends on you. What you plan on doing and the budget your working with.

If you dont have a budget go with the mark 2.

If your a weekend warrior who wants to do your car, and the occasional friend or customer, the version 1 will fit the bill just fine.

The extra 100 bucks you can buy pads, polishes etc.

So for 500 bucks you can get a pretty decent kit.

The mark 2 on the other hand is going to cost you a extra 100 witch means you will have to pay more for the pads etc.

So your just not done after you buy the mark 2.

If you have a fair amount of pads and polishes already i would go with the mark 2.

If your on a tight budget around 4-600 and you need pads and polishes etc.

The version 1 is definitely the way to go.

The version 1 is still no slouch, the mark 2 power is nice, but if rupes never made the mark 2 i think everyone would be content with the originals still.

The extra power is nice to have tho!

Agree with above post very simply put...

Dylan@RUPES
04-14-2016, 10:20 AM
How about the difference going from 15ES to 21 MKII?

Again - depends on the user and the application. If you have a 15ES and dont' find yourself needing more power then the question pretty much answers itself. If you struggle with pad rotation in some situations, do a lot of detailing, or just want more power then the Mark II is an upgrade worth investing in.